Jaguar to Build 9 New XKSS | FerrariChat

Jaguar to Build 9 New XKSS

Discussion in 'British' started by zygomatic, Mar 23, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #1 zygomatic, Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #2 WILLIAM H, Mar 23, 2016
  3. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #3 boxerman, Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
    Chris dont you know you cant post that here. There is a huge anti repilca, anti "fake" bias.

Or are we now accepting "some" reproductions?, I know I do, think they are great. Perhaps if the original manufacturer makes them its Ok? What about if they are licensed, like the RS wialliams sanction 2 aston Zagatos.

The Jaguar heritage e type lightweights were not allowed to run at Goodwood, but apprently a gelescoe GT40 can, even a superformance GT40 can if suitably historicaly acurate.

This is all highly political and tied up in $$ of which there are many conflicts.

Personaly I think in todays world, far better to preserve an old builds and make new origionals for more people to enjoy. Once Jaguar makes these 9 how long till they make another run with new chassis numbers, and why not.

Very cool cars, just like the lynx xkss which si the same thing.

How long till ferrari figures out the profit in making new old cars again, well they sort of do at Classiche already.

Some of us are into the machine for what it is and how it goes, and others for what it represents or statement made..

Sorry for the rant.

William the eagle is great too, astheticaly a knockout, but to drive I think i would still go for the xkss.

4. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I'm with you Sean. I love the idea of this and don't get wrapped around the axle with "real" "repro" "fake", whatever. I'll never have an opp to own one of these, but if someone else can, that's great.

I remember when Nissan bought back some old 240Zs and made them "new". Sure, the chassis were original, but Pierre'Z (the company that did the work) changed so much it became almost a repro...WHO CARES??!!!!

If Jaguar doesn't position these as "original", then no such problem.

5. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    I know Im probably considered insane, but I think this is a great idea, and a wonderful business for car manufacturers to be engaged in. Car manufacturers are businesses, and they need to make money. If a company like Jaguar is technically capable of making these cars, and there is a market for them, whats wrong with that? The only person "hurt" is the owner of one of the original cars, which dont vanish, and I doubt would even be considered worth less since we are talking about such a small number of cars. Frankly I am surprised that there aren't more manufacturers turning out classic models on a limited run or bespoke basis.

6. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    If I have $1.4m to spare I'd sign up today!!! I love that car - to me it is much better looking than an e-type (and pretty much everything else!!!!).

Not insane. I totally agree. In most countries these reproductions won't be able to be registered due to being new so the originals will still have that advantage.

That said, given their rarity it wouldn't surprise me if owners of originals bought these cars so they could have one to driver at low(er) risk.

7. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    For the records, a "replica" is a reproduction made and sold by the original manufacturer. Thus, these XKSS are true replicas in the actual meaning of this word.

"Lookalikes" or "copies" made by other companies are just that. And fakes, if it is not clearly evident, who made it (i.e. NOT the original manufacturer).

Aside this, I personally do not mind (true) replicas or lookalikes/copies (if very well made), I enjoy seeing one in real life just like seeing an original, wherein the latter event is often very improbable, sadly.

Cheers, Bernhard

8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Super PR stunt that pays for itself.

Good outside the box thinking.

To me its not a real car though even if it comes from "the factory".

9. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    Absolutely correct, it is and will always be a replica ... ;).

But can nevertheless provide great joy (to me at least).

Cheers, Bernhard

P.S.: I wonder, who actually will be building those cars, presumably an external company and Jaguar then just "authenticates" those made upon their order ... ;)

10. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

+1

Only the owners of original cars (many are just speculators) and the purists object.

11. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    #11 nathandarby67, Mar 24, 2016
    I's love to see Jag do a C-Type next, that's always been my favorite. For that matter I love the Proteus C-Type replicas, for all the reasons others have already mentioned. That fact that a few purists get so bent out of shape about such things honestly only makes me want one that much more. We can all agree there is an enormous gulf between a mechanically accurate re-creation like this and a rebodied Fiero.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I have heard that in some historic series, only the owners of an original model car race the equivalent replica.
    Can someone confirm that?

There has been quite a lot of GT40, Shelby Cobra or Lola T70 racing at Goodwood, Silverstone, Spa 6 hours, or Classic Le Mans, apparently more than were originally produced.... So, I am wondering.

13. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    What ever happened to the so called "found VIN plates" at Shelby and they were going to build another 250 "new" Cobra's.

Its sort of the same thing.

14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The Cobra is a case apart in the "repro" or "replica" business; it's probably the most copied historic vehicle of all time.

Shelby himself took part in the scam, by "certifying" cars of various origins he could n't possibly have built himself as "continuation". Some of these cars not even displaying the characteristics of the originals. All it took him was to sell chassis plates ...

15. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    I thought that this title is held by the DKW RT125 motorcycle, which was copied by many others (including Harley Davidson "Hummer", BSA, Moto Morini, and various others, including Indian companies) and in numbers going into the 100-thousands ...

16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Interesting.

You may be correct, but I suspect that Harley Davidson "Hummer", BSA, Moto Morini, and various others, including Indian companies copied the RT125 and put their names on it, without any intention of acknowledging DKW for it.
    Am I right?

Many "fake" Cobras pretend to be the real thing, including some endorsed by Shelby himself.

17. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    Yepp, they were just copies, and not fakes. ;)

18. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Agree. Jaguar is calling them continuation cars and they are based off of original chassis (per Jaguar). I do not think this will impact the value of the originals and is a great idea.

-dsd

19. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    How much would a fairly healthy 33 year old kidney sell for on the black market?

Any chance its $1.4m?

20. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Jaguar made the continuation E types So I imagine they'll make these.

http://youtu.be/PatWIgER-wA

21. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Would b great if manufacturers could all make more replicas & less SUVs

I'd take a Lambo Miura Jota SV :)

22. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
  23. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Jag has built some beauty's haven't they..

24. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    #24 JohnnyRay, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    +1 on the Miura clone! Sign me up! I have many original cars...as well as a clone Cobra. Each brings joy..and God did not allow Carroll to build as many Cobras as the world should have. Same goes for early Jags and Lambos... :)

25. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #25 boxerman, Mar 28, 2016
    Well put,

BTW here is my repro, means I get to run a "real" new build Gt40 on track in anger, while otehr languish in collections, or ocasional parade laps. Lastly any "original" mk1 or Mk2 Gt40, or Lola T70 being run on track is not runing its "original" tub and odds are bodywork has been replaced along the way. Cars are series production items, not one off pieces of art. As long as those having the design rights are not being ripped off, as long as no one is trying to pretend build dates, and as long as these are built to a correct standard there should be no issue.

The world is a richer place when these machines are experienced and experienced as designed both for spectators and drivers.

The biggest compliments I get on my car are from those who own or race some old builds, they love it because they can see its the real thing, just without the baggage.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login