Any 570s owners here | FerrariChat

Any 570s owners here

Discussion in 'British' started by pingi3, Apr 15, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    I stopped by local McLaren dealer the other day. Test drove a 570s and took to it. Almost gave them my amex. But then I said let me be reasonable and get rid of the 360 and Maserati Spyder first (so glad I leased the Spyder.. yuk!). The 360 is pretty much sold...hopefully. And I only have like 10 more payments on the Spyder. It just sits so I might just pay it off and give it back. But anyway you know the initial excitement wears off when you get home. But I did look at videos on the tube and some sparks still came back.

Any owners here who can share their feeling after a few months of ownership? Now your probably thinking well no one should "settle" for a sports car, but honestly no other sports car tickles my feathers at the moment and the ones that do I can not afford. They pulled in a P1 while I was there... pretty cool car. And the 570s was comfortable as well as practical.

But one factor that I am still mulling over was they had a orange one that had all the features I wanted. Like full alcantara interior with carbon in the right places. But I want (don't laugh) the green exterior color. Of course they pulled one around for me but I did not like the interior.

By the way.. why did McLaren redo the 650 front but keep the same rear end as the MC-12c? The 570 backend looks like the P1....

Thanks guys for any input.

2. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    #2 pingi3, Apr 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
  4. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
  5. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Lovely - the rear is epic, although the front is a bit muted compared to the 650S (or is it me?).

570S is crazy quick - good luck and congrats!

6. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    Thank you. Agree the 650 front is stellar. 570s's front is (if any other) the least attractive.... but very aggressive looking for sure.

And yes the 570 is fast.

7. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Looks like they let you "take the baby home from the hospital". Great sales technique for high end cars...I'd have a very hard time taking her back. :)

8. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    They called to bring her back but I did not answer their call...;)

Actually I bought it.

9. NSXLuvr

NSXLuvr Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2006
    Tx
    Full Name:
    Ritesh
    Congrats!! Its a great choice and color

10. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Congrats! I saw a pearl orange one at McLaren Dallas a few weeks ago. I was iffy about photos, but it looks great in person. The nose is lower to the ground than it looks in pictures, so it looks sharper. I really like the seating position.

11. 1mean3

1mean3 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2012
    Congrats!! Love the color and the interior is off the chain!

I own a 12c spider and love it. Poked around a 570 while visiting the MTC. Thought it was amazing. Really want to drive one

12. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The 570S has a completely different driving feel to the 12C and 650S. The other 2 felt somewhat faster but also felt weird over uneven pavement and in the corners while the 570S feels much better connected and a lot more fun to pilot. I get what the smart suspension of the other 2 cars are doing but it's hard (near impossible) to use the resulting speed advantage outside of a track.

The frontal appearance of the 570S is a weak point. I think the lower section of the nose, the splitter, would look much better in body colour. My salesman flashed me a photo of one and it did look better to me, however briefly.

13. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    I agree. I wonder how the front bumper would look in the body color. The sides of the front bumper is carbon fiber so maybe leave that alone.

14. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    #14 nathandarby67, May 4, 2016
    I got to do a nice, long test drive in one at the Amelia Island concours this year. By the end of the drive it had me doing all kinds of inappropriate math in my head, trying to come up with a way to get one of these beauties in my garage. All modern sports cars seem to be touted as "easy to drive" around town, and the 570S certainly was. The difference to me is it still felt alive even at low speeds. It just has a great feel. Then when you do open it up, performance is hugely impressive. It sounds great, and I like that you can actually hear and feel the turbos coming on board. It seems like all manufacturers consider the holy grail of turbo technology to be "zero lag", but I honestly LIKE a tiny bit of lag and I like hearing the turbine whine....I want a turbo car to FEEL like a turbo car, and the 570S accomplishes this without any real negative characteristics. If we are going to put turbos on everything these days anyway, why not celebrate the fact that the car is turbocharged and have a little fun with it, instead of trying to hide it?!? (I'm looking at you, Porsche.) The steering and suspension both felt great and very lively. Great road feel, perfectly judged weighting. Love the interior. The sales guy also mentioned a GT version that will be coming out, that will be more of a glass hatchback design with a bit more luggage space and slightly different rear styling. Haven't seen any pics yet but that sounded very interesting to me. Hopefully these will have some typically British depreciation and I can not feel so guilty about snatching one up in a few years!

As Ferris once said, "If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up".

:D:D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. The Surveyor

The Surveyor Karting

Nov 11, 2015
    Newcastle, England
    Full Name:
    Paul Spensley
    #15 The Surveyor, May 4, 2016
  16. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    I want one

17. riozilla

riozilla Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I had an order on one last year but cancelled it as I moved cross country and joined a startup and already have 6 cars.. So was trying to be moderately practical and exercise some restraint! I still really want one and will have one someday.

18. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    Im loving this car more and more I drive. Got it back today from getting the whole front covered with protective film. Even the the windshield.

19. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    This is the one car I considered selling my Lotuses to buy.

Congrats on pulling the trigger.

20. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    Thanks... I have never driven a Lotus but I have to say this car reminds me of my 360's. Very lively. need steering input as the front gets light. But in a confident way. I like the mechanical feel of the suspension. I always liked the 360 as they felt like go carts. I would say the same for the 570s. The 570s is bigger than the 650 but from the cockpit it looks small.

21. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #21 MarkNC, Jun 8, 2016
    I couldn't be more in love with the 570S and I have four McLarens including P1, 650S, 675LT and the 570S and despite that I find myself very drawn to drive it whenever I can pry it away from my wife :) I drove a 570GT a few weeks ago in the UK and it was absolutely stellar. At some point I expect we'll trade our 570S for a 570GT because my wife isn't about going 10/10ths and she's happy to have the extra cargo room behind the seats and wouldn't mind the quieter, and ever-so-slightly softer, car to putter around town in. From my drive of the 570GT I felt the driving differences between the 570S and the 570GT are very minor (in other words it's still the same incredibly sweet load of fun the S is and would feel totally at home on a track) but I really liked the gorgeous coach work feel of the cargo area and the panoramic glass roof.

Plus the GT doesn't scream for loading it up with carbon fiber like the coupe does so I can put some money into the carbon ceramic brakes (the GT comes standard with steel brakes) instead. We already put all the luxury options into our 570S that come standard with the GT so I expect the price to be very similar.

If you guys get the chance to buy one of these I highly recommend it. Despite the fact that it's the "baby" McLaren and they call it a "sports" series instead of a super car - it is still considerably faster than my 458 was and, in my opinion, more fun to drive. The only thing it lacks compared to the 458 is the raucous sound of the NA V8 engine. But it sounds pretty good if you put the sport exhaust on (we didn't on ours because my wife didn't want a loud car)

I should add that I have tracked our 570S as well. Pro tip: turn the ESC mode to "ESC Dyn" (dynamic ESC) and it's an absolute HOOT to drive on the track. I took it (along with my P1 and 675LT) to a McLaren-run track day at COTA. At first I was thinking it too dialed back for a McLaren on a track. And even my instructor was wondering why we weren't powering out the corners (it has 562 HP in a pretty light car!) then he said "oh crap, I forgot to tell you about that button, without it the nannies think you're the street and trying to keep wheel spin and slip angle to a minimum). So hit the button and the car changed personalities in an instant. All of a sudden it was INCREDIBLE! I never turn ESC off on any of my other McLarens because the P1 turns it off automatically when you put it in race mode, the 650S doesn't seem to need it turned off and the 675LT is built to be track-oriented so it defaults to very permissive slip angles when you put it track mode anyway. But apparently McLaren thinks the 570S buyers might not want to really go crazy when they're on the track so they put the two most permissive modes of ESC on a button. If you press it once you get ESC Dynamic. If you hold it down you get ESC Off. I'm not a race driver so ESC dynamic was the winner for me! It really transformed the car! I'm sure it was still helping me go faster but I never could feel it doing it's job of keeping me safe like I could before we pressed that button. It let me have lots and lots of fun.

Here's 3 of my four from that day at COTA (L-R 570S, P1, 675LT - not shown 650S Spider)...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    4 mclarens!?

23. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Wow Mark, what a line up! If you don't mind me asking how does the P1 compare to 675? Any reason to pay 5x the price in the secondhand market for a P1 in your experience?

24. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Mark - I'm available for adoption should you be in need of an heir.

25. riozilla

riozilla Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Awesome write-up and collection Mark. Nice to see you here and hope that you are well.