DB9 6-SPD Manual | FerrariChat

DB9 6-SPD Manual

Discussion in 'British' started by jimshadow, Apr 16, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    #1 jimshadow, Apr 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Finally acquired my buddies '07 DB9 6spd manual. I took care of the paint on this car from 2000-2013 and had the luxury of being able to drive it quite a bit, so I've known the car well! Being a Yellow 6-spd Manual with the Sport Pack, I'm curious how many were produced in that configuration in 2007. I have the "Definitive Guide" but have not been able to glean that information. Anyone have a good source other that the book or the AM Owners Club (no luck so far there either).

TIA,

JIM
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Congrats Jim, she looks fantastic! (sunburst yellow pearl?). I believe they made 1,429 total DB9's in 2007, but I'm not sure of manual gearbox, sport pack in this color, probably a rare optioned car.

Enjoy!

ps. you could try contacting the AM Heritage Trust too.

@ their email: [email protected]

Aston Martin Heritage Trust

Drayton St. Leonard, Wallingford, OXON. OX10 7BG

3. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    Ken,

THANK YOU!!

Yes, Sunburst Yellow Pearl. Good eye.

I'll reach out to the Heritage Trust.

Jim

4. ArmenVanquishS

ArmenVanquishS Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2014
    Paris, France
    Congratulations !
    I wouldn't be surprised if this was the only yellow manual DB9 ever built :)

5. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    #5 JohnnyRay, Apr 16, 2016
  6. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    #6 71Satisfaction, Apr 17, 2016
  7. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Very nice! Like the interior colors!

8. PBE624

PBE624 Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2005
    De Panne Belgium
    Full Name:
    Frank
    #8 PBE624, Apr 18, 2016
    Hi ,

I was also interested in a 3 pedal car, (although having the touchtronic now is great).

However, I was interested in the MY 2009 updated version, which has a higher center console (see picture), and in some cases, can be a bit annoying when shifting gears (and elbow hitting it....).

This was not an issue in the previous years models as center console was lower.

Would like to know of anybody with MY 2009 3 pedal car if they found this to be a problem.

Frank
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Hi Frank. That higher center console/armrest IS a known ergonomic issue with the later cars.

2009s are worth pursuing though for the engine, shock absorber and center stack upgrades if you prefer them, but have historically come with a substantial price premium over the earlier models. That situation may be relaxing a bit now as they get older.

Generally, I recommend 2007 and newer for features and value if one is interested in a 9...

10. PBE624

PBE624 Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2005
    De Panne Belgium
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Hi Johnny,

thanks for feedback. The car in the picture is mine, so have a 2008 (MY 2009) model now... .
    It was quite dificult to find a manual 2009MY, maybe because of the armrest issue... :)

Cheers,
    Frank

11. XJRS Owner

XJRS Owner Karting

Aug 20, 2009
    Northern CT
    Not a problem shifting. But you can't use the cup holder at the same time.

12. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    That is a gorgeous combination of color and material choices there.

13. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Thank you sir, the colors were a special order by the original owner.. a violinist.

The paint is an older AM color; "Chiltern Green".
    The interior is "Chestnut".

...more pics here for your viewing pleasure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers!
    - Art

14. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    #14 71Satisfaction, May 3, 2016
    Last edited: May 3, 2016
    Wow. Looking at the pictures on this thread again. The DB9s look so nice with some color! (instead of silver, black, whites)

Thanks Johnny,
    I assume that pale green with light interior Volante is yours… "Be still my beating heart"; that is gorgeous. The light wood with the light leather interior… Absolutely stunning (says the Scandinavian guy).

Cheers,
    - Art

PS - Speaking of the 6-speed manual; it definitely needs warming up to operating temperature to feel smooth and easy. Very different when it's cold. The 1st and R gear ratios are a bit tall, combined with the "fly-by-wire" throttle pedal, makes it a bit easy to stall out. Overall I'm very happy with a car that has some character and quirks that require skill to master.

15. steveintoronto

steveintoronto Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2007
    just to highlight the obvious, but all of the above cars are gorgeous. A manual DB9 is a rare find, and you are all lucky custodians.

16. MRY

MRY Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    Monterey Peninsula

Pretty colour, I have one in Aston Green, beautiful ride..!

Congrats

17. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Yes, that one is mine. The exterior color is "California Sage". Interior leather is "Parliament Green over Sandstorm". Wood is Bamboo. Dark green carpet and hood (roof)

You are right about the fly-by-wire throttle. No tactile feedback. The clutch pedal feel is not really the very best either. Stalling...especially in reverse...is an occasional occurrence as a result. I have it pretty much mastered now, but it took a while. Louder exhaust would help with the feedback.

I will have to say that my 550 is easier to drive with confidence right out of the "gate" (no pun intended) :)

18. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Sigh. Such lovely colors, I could just sit here and stare all day, but work awaits me. LOL.
    - Louder exhaust: Reminds me I must pull the #22 fuse from the rear box to get that going for me.. Have you done that yet?
    - Waiting to get mine back from annual service: New tires & TPMS sensors. Clutch, coil packs, AC & brakes all fine. Next year we'll replace driver's door hold-open strut, plus timing chain and valve cover gaskets.

Cheers,
    - Art

19. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Yep! Fuse 22 is out of there...

20. sinkman

sinkman Karting

Oct 28, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Phil
    #20 sinkman, Jun 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
    I LOVE my 2005 6 speed (and consequently sold my 550 last year). Glad to see the stalling is not just me being a clutz!

21. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    #21 jimshadow, Jun 5, 2016
  22. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Yep! That's the trick. No need for aftermarket exhaust really - is there? Any louder would not fit the character of the car.

23. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    What a great color, Jim - so vivid! Looks like there could be metallic in it? Black interior?

Have a blast!
    Damn, still haven't pulled my #22 yet… But just got it back from annual service and took it for a day trip around here…

Service:
    - Installed new/better tires - wow what a difference - it drives nice with fresh rubber (but that could also be the warmer temperatures this time of year)…
    - They found an issue with the TPMS, one channel failed. A new TPMS module is $1,000 plus a $800 core charge, so we agreed to disable the system and clear the code.
    - Driver's side door hold-open strut is weakening, ordered in a new strut from the UK, but we'll install it next year.
    - Fresh oil, brake fluid, coolant and tranny fluid.
    - Timing chain cover is weeping a little bit of oil. We'll replace it next year and do the valve cover gaskets at the same time.

I love my independent shop, they call me to review every day's activities, collaborative decision making, complimentary clean and detailing. This time their sales manager dropped it off at my house and I drove him home.

Cheers,
    - Art

24. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    I drove to Syracuse and met up with another '07 DB9-owner-friend and we pulled our #22's...

..We didn't like the results. Idle modulation was rougher, and initial throttle response was degraded. The exhaust note wasn't impressive enough to make it worth while. We put the fuses back in. I'll ask my shop about the idle issue, maybe they can shed light on it.

Sounds like most here like the results. Anybody dislike the idle with #22 disabled?

Still loving it though. It only feels better the more I get to know it.
    Cheers,
    - Art

25. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    No idle issue with mine. Throttle response is fine as well. Can't say i'm a fan of the drive-by-wire footfeed though...