Aston Vantage V-8 4.3 vs 4.7? | FerrariChat

Aston Vantage V-8 4.3 vs 4.7?

Discussion in 'British' started by ferraripete, Apr 22, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

As my car shopping begins in earnest, can the experts help me understand the differences I should be aware of between the 4.3 and 4.7 liter versions? I would seek a super low mile car that would fall between $50k and $70k.

is the bigger engine worth the extra money? is one a better, more reliable version? is there a material difference in performance? is there a difference in build quality among the vintages?

I would be open to coupe or convert and would seek a 6sp transmission.

how are these cars from a reliability stand point?

thank you for the help folks.

best,

Peter

2. ArmenVanquishS

ArmenVanquishS Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2014
    Paris, France
    Hi,
    4.7 brings more torque, that's the main difference with the 4.3.
    Also, you have a revised center console, new wheels, and the ECU (Emotional Control Unit) that replaces the standard key of the 4.3.
    Finding a manual 4.7 is more difficult than a 4.3.
    Both cars are pretty reliable.
    Good luck ! :)

3. ferraripete

armen,

I am glad you weighed in a true aston guy. is there a 0-60 time anyone quotes for the two cars? 1/4 mile time and trap speed? I have a 500 hp 930 turbo so a real hot rod is not needed in the aston but again, I am trying to learn as much as I am able ahead of going to see actual cars. the vantage is a petite and pretty car so I am getting more and more interested.

my other option is a 5 liter xkr which is also quite a nice steed.

4. ArmenVanquishS

Sep 20, 2014
    Paris, France
    What I can tell you is the 0-62 mph time (0-100 km/h) :

- 4.3L : 5.0 seconds
    - 4.7L : 4.9 seconds

Top speed :

- 4.3L : 280 km/h (174 mph)
    - 4.7L : 290 km/h (180 mph)

Those are the official numbers from AM :)

5. ferraripete

thank you. so no real difference. I guess one tries to find the best car first and engine or year is secondary?

6. ArmenVanquishS

Sep 20, 2014
    Paris, France
    Yes, I would give priority to a nice 4.3L with great color combo than a neglected 4.7 in "standard" colors. Personally I would look for a Roadster, to my eyes they are more appealing especially in manual gearbox, they look so good with roof down. Even though I also like the Coupe version for a sportier look. As always, to each his own :)

7. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    No manual on the xkr, correct?

Didn't the 4.3 come with an exhaust package (don't recall the name) which bumped up the power a little bit?

Regards,
    Jerry

8. ferraripete

Correct jerry no manual for the xkr. A 6 sp ZF paddle shift . Not a double clutch but very nice. XKR is very strong but I have one already as my west coast DD. For my nc DD I may like something different.

9. AH100s

AH100s Rookie

Jan 20, 2010
    Tionesta,PA
    We purchased a 2010 4.7 eight mos. ago and have put about 9000 miles on it to date with no issues. Lucky to find a manual . No experience with the 4.3, but reliability wise so far so good !

10. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    I have a 6-speed 4.3 Vantage and it's probably my favorite car that I've ever owned. There are certainly faster cars, but none prettier. Mine is modded a bit and has headers, race cats, sport muffler, and tune and it sounds wicked and is plenty fast. Also have the later "sport pack" wheels. It's also lowered. So not really for the purists, I suppose. But damn, I love it and it certainly turns many more heads than my pristine and bone-stock Ferrari.

As already mentioned, the 4.7's have a revised center IP stack and a few other minor changes. I prefer the simpler-looking 4.3 stack and a regular key vs. the silly "Emotion Control Unit" stuff. But mostly I wanted a low mile 6-speed with heavy options in the right colors with the right wheels. The car I bought needed a clutch (at only 12k miles) which was fine with me since the V-8 clutch is really the only significant weak point and gave me the opportunity to get a custom lightweight flywheel machined to use the V-12 twin-plate clutch.

11. f328nvl

f328nvl Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2004
    Herts
    Full Name:
    John
    Cars: We All Fall in Love With Our Models: AMV8 Reappraised

Eight years ago I drove from coast to coast (UK) in an Aston Martin V8 Vantage. It was brand new and, at the time, was the car on everyone’s lips. . I was very disappointed indeed. Not only could I not make a Nissan go away on a dry straight clear motorway, when I got to Torquay I got out and my back had seized up. It was, uncomfortable and slow.

As a result of that experience I have on many occasions disparaged the V8 Vantage. It was so bad that I didn’t ever really look at it again. They took the roof off: It’ll be windy, uncomfortable and slow. They put a bigger engine in it: It’ll be thirsty, uncomfortable and a little less slow. They called in an “S”: It’ll be very, very uncomfortable and probably still slowish. The first impressions of the 4.3litre V8 Vantage had driven me away from the car, and, as I look back now, probably the brand itself.

However, another drive recently in 4.7 litre guise changed my mind: this car is not slow like its 4.3litre ancestor; in fact it is bloody quick. This means that I have been totally wrong about the V8 Vantage for the best part of a decade.

I bought a V12 Vantage Roadster though, (not available in USA), just to be on the safe side...

12. Dakota

Dakota Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2012
    Alvord Texas
    Full Name:
    Dakota Crafton
    Have any pictures Jeff??

13. ferraripete

thank you all for the information thus far. I appreciate the first hand knowledge. I have not yet driven either version just yet as I have been a bit busy but I will let you all know when I am able. in the meantime I appreciate the guidance.

best,

14. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    #14 Jeff328, Apr 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Robb likes this.
  15. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    That dark blue is spectacular!

16. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    Thanks! It's factory custom painted Rolls Royce Black Sapphire Pearl. Original owner paid $6,000 extra for that!

17. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Those performance numbers are off, there is more of a difference than 0.1 sec.

Not only the differences in engine sizes, however, when Aston went from 4.3 to 4.7 in 2009 there were refreshes in other areas of the car as well. For your price range I would recommend getting at least an 09.

I recommend checking out The Definitive Guide to new Gaydon era Aston Martin by Grant Neal.

As it happens, mine is actually for sale at an Aston dealership local to me. Happy to answer any questions. I personally put 5k miles on the car and had zero issues. I replaced the brake pads with the Porterfield R4S last summer. Otherwise the car is fully loaded and been garage kept.

Downtown Chicago Aston Martin | Used 2009 Aston Martin V8 Vantage For Sale | Chicago IL

18. jerhofer

jerhofer Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2013
    Rockwell, NC
    Full Name:
    Jerry Forthofer
    I sold my 348 last year and, being a long time Porsche club member (38 years), I bought a 2007 Porsche 997. Great car but, one Friday evening about two months ago, while doing my usual search for cars for sale, I came across a 2007 V8 Vantage for sale at a local dealer. I was drooling over the photos of the car (they are drop dead gorgeous). When I looked at the price I thought this might be doable. After doing some research on the cars by reading reviews and checking out some forums for reliability issues, I couldn't wait to go for a test drive the next morning.

The car was everything I thought it would be, and more. I loved the full leather interior, the aluminum surrounds on the AC vents and shifter, the aluminum knobs, interior door handles, and the aluminum watch face like gauges. It is the same in the engine compartment with the facia piece between the nose and the radiator being aluminum instead of plastic. While my Porsche was very well put together, there is much more plastic inside compared to the Aston. In that respect, it feels more special than the Porsche, which it should considering the price difference when new. Also contributing to that special feel is the way the swan doors open as the go up and out.

I liked how it shifts, the clutch worked well, the engine likes to rev and it handled well. The 997 is a better handler especially when it comes to bumps in mid corner. That being said, the Aston is no slouch and the comparison here is against one of the best handling cars around. It has a cool looking dry sump tank which allowed Aston to locate the motor as low as possible.

But, best of all, is the exhaust sound. At 4000 RPM valves open on the exhaust creating a joyous noise. My son, who has a 525HP LS3 in his '69 Camaro and a 690HP LS based turbo motor in his El Camino, said this was the best sounding V8 he has ever heard. And, if you pull fuse 22, you have that sound from the git go.

Needless to say, I traded my 997 and drove the Aston home that morning. The weekend before last we drove it to Shelton Vineyards in Dobson to see the Triumph English car show. Unlike one other poster here, I find the seats to be very comfortable. The car is quiet at cruising speeds, and, thanks to Ford's ownership at the time, the cruise and other electrics all work well. On the way home I told my wife that I really loved this car, maybe more than any other that I have had. And I have had many cars over the years.

Ferraripete, as you know I live near you. You are welcome to drive the car anytime you want. We have some great sport car roads near me with very little traffic so you can really exercise the car.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z76/jerhofer/2007%20Aston%20Martin%20V8%20Vantage/2-24-16%202007%20Aston%20V8%20Vantage%206%20sm_zps0vg6cske.jpg

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z76/jerhofer/2007%20Aston%20Martin%20V8%20Vantage/2-24-16%202007%20Aston%20V8%20Vantage%209%20sm_zpstqgiufsl.jpg

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z76/jerhofer/2007%20Aston%20Martin%20V8%20Vantage/2-24-16%202007%20Aston%20V8%20Vantage%202%20sm_zpsxrdnwbza.jpg

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z76/jerhofer/2007%20Aston%20Martin%20V8%20Vantage/2-24-16%202007%20Aston%20V8%20Vantage%2013_zps3p4fonu6.jpg

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z76/jerhofer/2007%20Aston%20Martin%20V8%20Vantage/2-24-16%202007%20Aston%20V8%20Vantage%207%20sm_zpstdc2ztcq.jpg

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z76/jerhofer/2007%20Aston%20Martin%20V8%20Vantage/2-25-16%20GPS%20amp%20XM%2012_zpsuvowu45d.jpg

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z76/jerhofer/2007%20Aston%20Martin%20V8%20Vantage/3-6-16%20oil%20change%2011_zpslmnn1p0d.jpg

19. ferraripete

Jerry,

very gracious of you. thank you. I am in the lake norman area. we have a cars and coffee on the second Saturday of each month. it would be nice on one clear day if you could make the trip.

best,

peter

20. jerhofer

jerhofer Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2013
    Rockwell, NC
    Full Name:
    Jerry Forthofer
    Peter,

I was at the March event but will be out of town for the May event as we are leaving Monday on a month long trip in our Mercedes Sprinter based motorhome. Hopefully I can make the June event.

21. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    A few years ago I test drove two Vantages back to back. One was a newer Vantage S with the 4.7 and paddle shifters, the other was a 4.3 with the AM power upgrade and 3 pedals. If I were shopping for one today I'd look for a 2009+ since the newer engine felt stronger and the interior is a smidge better, but there seem to be a lack of 3 pedal cars. Because of that I wouldn't hesitate to get a less expensive earlier model and pay AM a few thousand for the power upgrade since it felt almost as fast. I'd definitely add the 19" split 5 spoke wheels like Jeff has on his though. That car looks amazing.

22. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    #22 nathandarby67, Apr 28, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
    All good advice thus far. I have researched these cars a lot over the last couple of years and hopefully will be buying one in the next 12-18 months.

Bottom line, you can't go too wrong with either version. Prices of the 2009-10 have come down enough there is not as big a difference from the early cars as there once was.

You MUST buy this book. It has all the info you are asking for and more, and highly detailed analysis of all the small year to year changes.

The Definitive Guide to Gaydon era Aston Martin: Grant Neal: 9780950682563: Amazon.com: Books

23. farrbar

farrbar Karting

Sep 28, 2006
    Chicagoland
    I have an '08 3 pedal roadster. So it has the 4.3. One update on '08 is the center armrest, they moved the cup holders from the very back of the armrest to the front, where they are much more accessible for a drink and/or phone. However, as noted by others, most of the updates came in 2009.

I bought a car with all service records, and it has been worry free. One minor quirk, if the car has been sitting for a week or more (not on trickle charger) it starts right up but then the top wouldn't go up or down. However after driving the car for an hour it would function normally. Thankfully the tech at my dealer new about this issue and did not try to do work on the car (or charge me)..... His advice, keep it on the supplied trickle charger (very easy with a port in the boot). He was correct, issue has never happened since. Ironically, the old service records indicated problems in 2009 and 10 with the top encountered by a prior owner, different dealer spent hours looking but finding no problem. I did replace the original battery last fall with an interstate (which is what my local dealer sells as a replacement) so perhaps the new battery holds a full charge longer, but I have never let it sit for more than a week without trickle.

Good luck. I think these cars a lots o bang for the buck.

24. ferraripete

thank you for all the responses. I looked at a coupe last weekend and liked it fine but not sure it is the car for me. It is a tiny car. very attractive but thinking I might just get a nearly new 5.0 xkr coupe. I love my convert on the west coast but was really hoping I could find something a bit different. problem is that the xkr coupe really is such a great dd, similarly gorgeous and a very, very strong runner.

I looked at the maser gt and now the aston...keep coming back to ian's other car:)

25. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Have you looked at a DB9? Similar Aston looks, good performance, and should be a bit bigger than the Vantage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk