New lotus Evora 400 in US | FerrariChat

New lotus Evora 400 in US

Discussion in 'British' started by Robb, May 15, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I met with a dealer selling McLaren, Lamborghini, and Aston Martin. They also carried lotus. I asked them about what lotus is up to and why I haven't really seen a lotus Evora 400 in the US yet.

The dealer said that Lotus will not send dealers a car until they get an order...

So how are Americans supposed to buy into the car if they can never see one?

I fear lotus future in the US is not looking promising if this is their strategy. Anyone heard anything else about what lotus is up to?

Robb

2. ktr6

ktr6 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Keith
    There are still several brand new 2014 Evora Ss sitting on dealer lots

3. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    I agree w/ Robb; this is a crappy sales strategy, particularly if you contemplate that Lotus sold no 2015 cars in the US. WTH is going on?

4. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    In the past the problems with Lotus in the US have been the cost of complying with US regulations.

They likely dont want to spend the money to comply unless they have some orders, and also overall orders are holding up well so there is not the incentive to invest in the US market.

5. Carsonp

Carsonp Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Minnesota - NW subs
    Full Name:
    Carson Partain
    That sucks because I really like the 400. I'm not a buyer yet but 2nd hand might be a cool option

6. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I never warmed to the Evora. Specs are uninspiring, not particularly light, not particularly powerful. I feel pretty confident my 2008 C6 Z06 was a better performer. I love my Elise, but at under 2000 lbs it is unique in a world of relative behemoths.

7. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    I can't imagine a car company waiting until it has an order to engineer a car to comply with US specs. This would take 1/2 a year, at least.
    In the meanwhile, what are their US dealers doing ... besides getting royally PO'ed? If you look at dealer inventories, there are brand new 2014 cars sitting at dealers. How would any of us enjoy paying the inventory taxes on those cars for 2-3 YEARS? I wouldn't be shocked if US dealers began selling new cars for 60 cents on the dollar just to get out of this nightmare.

8. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph

I'm guessing, but don't dealers order one for themselves to show and then sell as the owners "demo"? I know of a regional Ferrari dealer that has done this previously.

Just my $0.02

Joe

9. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Thanks for the thoughts. I'm not sure how many will be sold in the US site unseen...

Robb

10. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Fred here in Vegas forum put a deposit down but the car was over 4 mos late apparently, and he moved on.

11. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Lotus of West Covina had one at the Montage Hotel in Beverly Hills. You could come see the car there, and lots of people did.

12. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Has Lotus started selling the revised Evora in the US? Haven't read a road test (and, yes, I saw the driven in Europe previews last November or thereabouts), haven't seen any spotters reports, etc.

13. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Matt Farah did a video testing one a few mos ago.

14. Atlanta355

Atlanta355 Karting

Jun 7, 2008
    Atlanta
    Apparently they will arrive late August as 2017 year models. Can't wait to see one. I was going to get an Alfa 4c but may well get a 400 if its as nice as the UK reviews say.

15. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    The new Car & Driver (Sept) I got today acknowledges that there was no 2016 Lotus Evora imported into the US (see pg. 100). The good news is that the 2017 Evora will be here before year's end ... or so they say.

16. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    considering the number of NEW 2014 Evoras still out there, not surprising they didn't import any 2016's.

17. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Excellent point. As an aside, how in the world do the dealers pay inventory taxes on expensive cars sitting on the lot for years?

18. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    There are at least two Evora 400 cars currently for sale in the US, and here they are:
    (Note: no connection or affiliation w/ the vendors; just a Lotus fan since I saw Jim Clark win the 1967 British GP.)

Lotus Evora 400 2 2 IPS | eBay

Lotus Evora | eBay

19. jkddad

jkddad Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2006
    There was one at the lotus dealer in Plano tx a couple of days ago. It has a deeper sound then I thought it would.

20. Dino V

Dino V Formula 3

Sep 21, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dino
    The new multi-piece rear spoiler looks great in person.

21. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    My understanding is that there are no taxes until they are sold, no?

22. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Here in Louisiana, there is an inventory tax for every car sitting on a lot, nor is it a one-time tax. OUCH!

23. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    My understanding is that there are or were 250 evora 400s comming tot he US. As is Lotus way they missed the summer.

The biggest issue I hear is that more than half will be auto boxes. apoparently the Europeans still havent figured out that die hard enthusiasts(who else buys lotus) prefer stick.

But yes its a pretty spectacular car, one of the very few that can go tot he track out the box.

24. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Lotus Evora 400 finishes second in R & T's Performance Car of the Year test, and among some very heavy hitters every one of which costs more. Said R & T in its synopsis:

"Two of our 10 voters chose the Lotus Evora 400 for first place. "The car that I had to be pulled out of because I wouldn't get out otherwise. The winner for me," Okulski says. Alone in our group, the Evora offers traditional proportions, tidy exterior dimensions, and the close-coupled cockpit that was considered an essential component of a sporting vehicle for the entirety of automotive history prior to the turn of the century. It makes everything else on the market look obese and gluttonous. Fully deserving of the ACBC badge on its nose, this brave and charming two-plus-two is perhaps the finest over-the-road enthusiast vehicle available for sale at any price."

25. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Wow. I need to drive one.