Jaguar F Coupe vs...... | FerrariChat

Jaguar F Coupe vs......

Discussion in 'British' started by Robb, Jun 1, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Went to the Jaguar dealer today to see the F coupe in person for the first time. Nice car. Beautiful lines. Only negative I really saw was the overly large center mirror taking up a lot of the view out of front windshield. Storage in the rear hatch wasn't that much. Cup holders were lame. Front end reminds me a little of the Nissan 370Z which isn't s good thing. Finishing on the car was very nice with the stitching and interior pieces.

I'm thinking about a daily driver right now to add to the garage.

How do you think the F coupe R (awd) compares to the Audi R8 (v8 or v10 stick) or Aston Martin Vantage v8 or v12 stick?

What design do you think will still be admired and be looked at fondly in 20 years?
    How would you rank them for looks, sound, and driving feel?

The Jag looks to be getting VERY heavy. Audi R8 v8 is the lightest.

Thanks.

Robb

2. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    20 years down the road...V12 Vantage Manual...hands down...

3. Atlanta355

Atlanta355 Karting

Jun 7, 2008
    Atlanta
    You can get an F type S manual, Its a great car.

I have the same dilemma, get a new F type with 5 year warranty or a used Aston Vantage with maybe a year of warranty left for the same price (80k).

I think the Vantage V12, V8 and F type in manual will all be wanted 20 years from now.

4. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

the aston v8 is the only car that is priced remotely close to the f type r. the f type is as pretty or prettier in coupe form and will dance on the aston in the straight line.

f-type is a very compelling sexy hot rod.

5. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    V12 Vantage would be the keep I think, though who knows. All I know is that V12 Vantage prices always seemed pretty firm. It's a cool car IMO.

R8 V10 manual is a fantastic car as well. It really is one of the last great manual exotics, at least for now.

F-type is a really good looking car, but I think it's a bit pricey for what it is. I kind of group it with the AMG-GT. Nice sports car, but not really exotic.

6. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Our F-Pace has (I think) the same V6 as the F-Type. Considering how quick the SUV is with that engine the sports car must really be something even without the top of the line V8. It sounds nice near redline too.

A V6 F-Type coupe starts around $60k, but most are more in the $70k range with options. Still seems like a lot of car compared to other in the same segment.

7. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    I think the Jag is a great value at under $100K...but it will depreciate a bunch and will never be as rare or "special" as the others you mention. The electronics are probably better in the Jag and it will perform with the best of them. Not a big fan of the grille styling. Aston has it there. And, while they all sound good, the Audi and especially the V12 Aston will sound the best. If you're looking for value, perhaps a new Vette at $60K?

8. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    The v6 f-type is a great car.

I think it makes great noises, and drives really well. A lot of car for the money. Wouldn't even bother getting the v8. If you're wanting something a step above, the Aston is a no brainer.

9. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    Who knows where the world will be at 20 year from now. May be under water.
    Have not tried the jag but I can tell you that the audi R8 is one fun car to ride especially on tight roads! I'll take that right ove the jag just from its look as a daily driver. Jag cant drive better. I tried the R8 V8 and I think it is plenty to handle but for the power hungry the v10 has to be a beast especially with aftermakrets mods. Cheap to maintain too compared to Aston.

10. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    So true. The R8 V10 6MT is such a great refined sports car. Can use it as a daily driver without a fuss. I too had the V8 version first but the V10 has more grunt, love it.

11. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I went through a version of this last fall. New F type versus used 911 C4S (both manual). I drove and liked the F type a lot, but I was looking for a daily driver and carry a briefcase and lunch to work every day. No room (and I mean NONE) behind the seat of the F type. So it would have involved trying to fling stuff into the passenger seat (the garage I park in doesn't allow opening the passenger door--no room) or opening the hatch every damn workday. That, strangely enough, was the deciding factor. A close second was AWD in the perpetually soaked PNW. And I liked not taking the depreciation hit.

12. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I do get the sense that the F type will depreciate itself to zero very quickly. A 100k dollar f coupe R is already regularly selling for 70k

I like the rarity of the Aston Martin Vantage V12 with only 1000 in the world

I like the Audi because of its clean German lines and it seems so low and wide...

Have not driven any of these yet but should be a fun process. The AM v12 and R8 v10 are currently in the lead with the F type's rear getting bonus points. I like the 911 but it is simply too common to me.

Robb

13. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Agree with the F-type R depreciation.....like a stone

If you do buy used, do you get the RWD early models that were universally panned for lack of grip under even reasonable acceleration, or the new AWD version that adds 200 lbs to an already bloated car?

I've really tried to like the R8 V10 and could easily grab one today....even with my income challenges.....but its just so bland and boring looking, looks too much like a TT overall and like every other Audi in the front. I just can't generate enough interest to go drive one.

Will admit that on the surface, the AM V12 is an option worth exploring. But every time I do, the same issues for me come up. Their technology is always like a decade behind, the cars always drive very soft and mushy, and are never as fast and responsive as the nameplate power figures say they should be.

On the plus side though, great looking, a V12 (which will be all but extinct in 5 years), and a manual transmission.....all things not found on the other two options.

I hear good things about the MB GTS though....one reviewer claimed it was the best handling car he has driven. I'm just not sure MB will sell a car to someone under 70 years of age.

14. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I like the Mercedes AMG GT S on the fit and finish side. But I'm not sure I'm in love with its looks. It has already been depreciating rapidly almost on pace with the Jag

I really don't want a car with 4 seats since we already have an e-class and crew cab truck.

I'd consider the Maserati granturismo S but with 4 seats I don't need and it being heavy, I'm trying to see what I find as a lighter GT for a daily.

I agree that it would be nice to have a modern infotainment system. Most all of these are quite dated in that Dept.

Robb

15. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Why not a 599 HGTE? Already taken most of the depreciation hit. In the price range. Will be very fondly remembered in 20 years. The other cars lack soul, IMHO.

16. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    If I could get it for 100k - I'm in. Love the 599.

Robb

17. ferraripete

Guys please show me where I can buy a low low mileage f type voice r or AMG GTS for $70k. Show me this depreciation of which you speak.

Tge f coupe r is a beast to drive and if it really did depreciate as suggested would be the prettiest and fastest car in your garage.

18. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Here you go Pete:
    https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/666988991/overview/

7k miles, $76.9k ask.....standard 10% discount gets you to $70k

Along with 19 other R cars with asks less than $80k....ON JUST ONE SITE (cars.com)

Crashing HARD

19. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Yes, what he said...

The Amg gt s sticker is over 160 and now seen in the 120's.

Robb

20. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    I was kind of looking for a similar car
    on the list: R8, F type, Vantage (I really don't "need" a V12), 911, Maserati

I drove the F type and loved it. The dealer in Austin would not budge on price.
    I found a 2012 Maserati GT MC, and bought it. 7K miles later in 6 months, I love it!
    love the back seats (yes they are usable).
    I've got 3 kids, so most of the family can fit. One to college in a year...
    so the other cars really don't make "sense" for me at the moment.

(as an aside, after driving the Jag, 2 days later I was introduced to a guy that is in the same biz as me who had just bought the exact JagI wanted... he also lives in Austin, but went to Dallas to get it, as the Jag Austin also would not budge with him either... says he saved 10K and got the rims he wanted with a quick swap).

21. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    I don't see the Aston as a daily driver. I think it will fail you from time to time. Ashton's validation process is a joke compared to Porsche, Mercedes or Audi.

I like the mid engine R8 best in the cars your considering. That would be my recommendation.

The jaguar f type v8 is pretty but just off from being an exotic.....although the AWD is a nice daily feature...

The jaguar is beautiful but not an exotic and I think it has to do with the high hoodline. Could be wrong as it's just an opinion.

The Mercedes AMG GT S is close and quite attractive in a more exotic manner....although..not as pretty a silhouette as the jaguar...again jmo

All wonderful choices...have fun deciding.

22. ferraripete

#22 ferraripete, Jun 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
    that is a pretty compelling car @ $70k and the balance of the factory warranty. I must say, a true dd capable hot rod. btw, I don't consider the maser gt, or the amg gts exotic. the aston v8 and the audi are close to exotic but even those barely make the cut.

high class problem choosing any in my opinion. have fun hunting.

23. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    I too, thinks the F is quite pricey and heavy for what it is.

24. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Still looking around. Haven't settled yet. Building a new large garage so will need to find a stable mate for the F355's...

Wife loves the maser. We toured the factory in Modena. Sound and looks are great. Different experience to the 355 but the pininfarina designs still compliment each other. I could see them next to each other.

Still seems big. Wish the Alfieri 2-seater was ready... probably never be developed. Aston v8 is a bargain and really pretty and cozy. I agree both of these will feel slower than you wish. V12V is not really coming down in pricing as quickly. Still think the f-type coupe is very pretty but the weight and lack of space inside are turn-offs. Aston has more room inside for stuff even though it looks similar.

Audi seems too similar to my F355 for capabilities and layout and I can't get over the TT components sharing. We'll see.

I like them all in different ways... will keep the group updated.

Robb

25. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Motor trend compared amg vs jag r and wasnt even close. Amg won every category

how about nissan gtr? Best performance and lots of space