Engine Difference Between 570S & 650S? | FerrariChat

Engine Difference Between 570S & 650S?

Discussion in 'British' started by Shark01, Jul 9, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I have the 650S Spider on my short list of cars for a 2018/19 purchase.....as long as it keeps depreciating at current levels.

The primary reason why 650S over 570S is HP and the convertible....at the same time admitting that I like the 570S design more.

Now I'm reading that a 570S Spider is being developed.....

So I understand the engines in both cars is the same displacement. Most people are claiming its the same engine period.....and only the boost is turned up (assuming the turbos are the same also).

Is that true? If so, could you not just tune the 570S for similar hp?

2. ArmenVanquishS

ArmenVanquishS Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2014
    Paris, France
    What I can tell you is that the 570 is already a VERY fast car ! :D
    By the way, I also prefer the design (and the engine sound) of the 570 than the 650.

3. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Interior of 570 is more Prius than McLaren. Feels flimsy by comparison to 650, and Ron seems to have let the marketing men get involved , instead of leaving it to designers and engineers.

4. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Having test driven both these cars, the 570S is a lot more enjoyable to drive than the 650S. The 650S is fast and smooth but feels weird when you take hard corners at speed - feels like someone else is steering the car. Do not like it at all. I had multiple opportunities to pick up a beautiful used 650S/Spider but had to pass.

The 570S is a great car to drive slow or fast, has true feel and communicates well with the driver. The 650S is a robot. Almost no one on this board will really get to use any of the 650S's track prowess. It's designed for bragging rights and track performance. Good for posing or tracking but not fun to drive. Make sure you test drive at desired speeds.

The 570S interior is slightly less sumptuous but there are many options, unfortunately the build can get very expensive as you add up the options. If you're looking to pick up a used one, just pick one for colour and performance options. It feels like a classic driver's car... a bit of a shame with the turbo engine exhaust note but that's it. Spider is the one to wait for.

5. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I noticed no difference in handling between the cars on normal roads during my test drive.

OP: It's still a 3.8L V8 TT, so just assume some components are maybe a better better/worse on each.

6. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I'm looking for a more definitive answer. Since the engines are of the same displacement, there are only a few ways to increase HP that a manufacturer would do:

1. Bigger turbos
    2. Higher compression
    3. Higher redline (not alot of gain here)
    4. Increasing boost

Just trying to figure out which is the real answer here, which would help me decide on which one would be a better fit for me.

7. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Have also heard this....guess the mag ride (or whatever they call it) leads to more isolation.

Another point in the 570's favor for me is the reduction in sill height to help ingress/egress.

Can someone chime in if the 570S is really easier to get in and out of?

8. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    Don't ask, just drive them.

9. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Sometimes easier said than done, would like to get other people's thoughts on some things before a dealer visit.

10. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The hydraulically-linked active suspension of the 650S isolates the driver when taking very fast corners on less-than-perfect road surfaces. You lose road feel and your sensations don't match what you eyes are telling you. But the 650S does feel faster and "eerily smoother" next to the 570S.

11. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The 570S is indeed easier to ingress and egress. It's not bad. With the 650S you inevitably have to crawl out, hand on the sill sometimes. Ingress was OK for me though.

12. Vonzippa

Vonzippa Rookie

Jan 11, 2016
    I'm in the process of ordering a 570S. I initially thought I wanted a 650S, but when I arrived at the dealer, and saw a 570S for the first time, I thought it looked awesome, and a little better than the 650S. I took a deep breath, and chose to drive the 650S last, figuring it would win out. Well after driving both, I was confused. Did I really enjoy driving the 570S more. I drove both again, and I did enjoy the 570S more. That's where my money is going. Check out FabSpeed - they can tune a 570S to 700hp!

13. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    #13 Shark01, Jul 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
    Yeah but it wouldn't be from that company that lied and cheated me out of $400 that you mention.

You hold someone's parts hostage for more money will get you that kind of reputation. Even a decade later, I'll never forget that level of customer "service".

14. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Now that the anger over an old wound is subsiding, thanks for your comments.

So what about the 570 felt better than the 650?

15. Vonzippa

Vonzippa Rookie

Jan 11, 2016
    Sorry Shark, did mean to open wounds. I have only read about FabSpeed - not a client.

What I liked most about the 570S was its handling. Can't say it was faster, but for me, I was able to drive it faster. I felt more comfortable driving it fast is a good way of saying it. The styling didn't hurt either :).

Good luck to you.

16. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    The engines are supposedly different, but I suspect the bulk of the difference is the tune. I've driven both on track and the 570 gives up very little in power

17. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Without knowing any more, reducing the boost for the 570S would be the easiest course of action.....but then again it would also be the laziest way to go about it and McLaren doesn't strike me as lazy.

18. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Just got a 650. I have a very long off camber sweeper up and over a hill with minimal runoff I drive often. I'm still getting used to the 650, but compared to my RS, Spec, and Huracan thru there, it seems to nibble, I had more steering input chasing brief breakaways. Not at limit, no room, and I wasn't smooth, in part to try what it did.
    The Spec always intervened there, but it did similar, just smoother. THe RS was unfazed, and went thru on throttle planted, whiff of slip. Huracan just went thru, 4wd working, but slower.

Does the 570 have limited slip? 650 does not, and my own opinion is still out as I learn the car. But this corner really had me puzzled. It was in active mode, so perhaps changing mode?

For price, 650 is more car in many ways than 570. I looked at both, and 650 in garage.

19. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    my understanding is all McLarens share the same block with different internals, tunes, exhausts, etc. not lazy just efficient manufacturing/economies of scale.

20. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    The turbos are different on the 570S, and I'd definitely say I noticed a quicker spool as a result. We've added 50whp and 85 ft-bs of torque with our Performance Package...it pushes the car into a different league!

Sorry to hear about this, I don't know anything about your situation, but I would like the chance to make it right for you. Fabspeed is VERY different from our early days, I joined a year ago to help make high quality media but along with other members of the team I can't sit by and let someone be unhappy as a result of the company we represent. Can you shoot me a PM or email me at [email protected]?

-Mike in Marketing

21. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    OK, I'll do that and send you the saved PMs. But since you brought it up and re-opened the wound, I hope we can reach a mutual satisfaction that I didn't get 8 years ago.

John

22. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    OK, just forwarded you 8 PMs that demonstrate how Fabspeed treated me poorly.