62 etype | FerrariChat

62 etype

Discussion in 'British' started by Graz, Aug 16, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Looking at a 62 etype in restored beautiful condition. For those that know here need advice. The car's engine is not original to the car but it is of the same year and restored to perfection. The gear box has been changed from the original to a more updated version. Are these 2 issues detractors and would they keep you away from the car? Thanks in advance.

2. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Updated? To a 4 speed all syncro, or a 5 speed?

Either way, makes the car more driveable. With the replacement engine and trans change, ultimate value may be compromised, but still a fab vehicle to own, go for it.

3. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Thanks Brian, its been upgraded to an all synchro 4 speed.

4. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    Brian is correct, but I would add that it also depends on what you want out of the car. If you intend to compete in JCNA Championship division, these are huge detractors. If you intend to drive the car, then, as Brian said, go for it! :)

gp

5. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Thanks GP. Not looking to show it, just enjoy it. Just thought maybe those detractors would hurt value down the road. They're asking 170K.

6. 84_250TR

84_250TR Rookie

Apr 11, 2006
    New York
    Sounds like a lovely car. I have a 67 OTS, but have always preferred the interior of the 62's. My 2 cents (so take it for what it's worth!) is at that price point, I would try to get matching numbers. While non-matching won't hurt your ability to enjoy it, will be a detractor down the road for resale.

7. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I've been an early E-type owner since 1979 and I follow the market. I have to agree with 84 250TR...$170k is very rich for a non-numbers matching example in my opinion. It sounds like they are trying to recoup their restoration costs. And, yes, you will have a much harder time selling that car for good money when you go to unload it. Offer them $120k and see what happens...you won't have much competition.

8. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    I've owned a 62 flat floor OTS for almost 20 years and have been following asking prices the past few for insurance purposes. You didn't specify whether you are looking at a coupe or OTS. For $170K, I would agree with the 2 prior posters that you ought to be able to get a good matching numbers OTS. Deduct $25-50K for a coupe. A complete tool kit and original books can be worth $10K. While matching numbers is not important to enjoying the drive, it will be a consideration for future resale.

If you're not consulting with an expert on originality, I'd recommend these 2 books by Clausager and Porter:

https://www.amazon.com/Jaguar-E-Type-Originality-Guide-Factory-Original/dp/1906133360/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471395632&sr=8-1&keywords=jaguar+e-type

https://www.amazon.com/Jaguar-E-Type-Definitive-Philip-Porter/dp/190708519X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1471395723&sr=8-2&keywords=jaguar+e-type+porter

Good luck with the chase!

9. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    the quality of restored etypes is all over the map. mostly with so so results. they are difficult to get right.

10. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Thank you so much for all of your advice on this 62 type. I'm inclined to agree that while the car is beautiful and would be great to drive the unmatching engine would be an issue with resale. In answer to previous poster, yes this is an OTS. I might just make an offer at a price I could live with. Thanks again everyone.

11. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Non-matching numbers car will be a very hard sell for big money down the road. I had a 65, but always loved the earlier interiors and especially the seats. Regardless, for the right money and if you are not showing the car, make an offer which makes you comfortable. What happened to the original drivetrain.

Also, have you seen photos of the restoration or how has the monocoque been determined to be solid.