2015 Land Rover Range Rover thoughts | FerrariChat

2015 Land Rover Range Rover thoughts

Discussion in 'British' started by E60 M5, Aug 26, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #2 msdesignltd, Aug 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am on my third RRS SC..not one prob out of all of them..truly IMO the best all around SUV ever made...Fast Nimble great off road and in snow..
    I will go for # 4 when my lease is up again..

You can even re arrange the nomenclature
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have a 2016 RRS Autobiography which I think does have every possible option Land Rover offer (had no choice the only one within 1000 miles that ad the color combo I wanted) I bought it back in Feb (only has 804 miles in storage until November) and it in my 3rd. I had some issues with one of them but not enough to keep me from getting another. The only thing I am not fond of is the 22" wheels I have a set of 20" wheels and Nokian tires ready to be mounted on it before it comes out for snow season. I also bought a second steering wheel (an ASD thing)and had it remade with thicker leather. The one than came with it was way too skinny. I went away from Land Rover for a couple years bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit V8 which really is an amazing machine, but I missed the feel of the Range Rover.

3. porkchopious

porkchopious Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2009
    Oakton, VA
    Full Name:
    David
    Do any of you have a problem with the radio? I have a '12 RRS SC which I really like, but the high-definition radio is constantly fading in and out. I've tried turning off the high-def feature to no avail. I don't like Sirius. I like to listen to the old-fashioned radio...

4. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Morrie,

Why switch out the 22" for 20" wheels?? I would think the ride would be better in the 22"??

We also test drove the V6 2016 model and I gotta say, it had some good pickup, I was very surprised!

Anyone have any input on the 2013 V8's???

5. carlom001

carlom001 Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2010
    I have the 2015 RR Twin Turbo V8 Diesel Autobiography - absolutely superb - best daily driver I have ever owned by far. Has been extremely reliable and the comfort/power/luxury combo is very hard to beat. Will be replaced by the new P100D Tesla X in a few months time - but if I don't like the Tesla X I will be going back to the Rangie.....

6. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Like I said my SUV's only get used in the winter (maybe 2000 miles a year on them) 22" wheels and snow, not a good mix. All season tires are for driving in cold temps not for a foot of snow. Nokian is probably the best snow tire made (I have had them before on a big Range Rover) and because of the big brakes 20" was about as small as I could get without spending a ton of money to have smaller wheels made. Big wheels are for looks that about it!

7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    id rather drive a full size RR SC than an s class. I wld totally drive one as a dd.

the Sport not so much

8. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    The larger the diameter the worse the ride and performance, you are adding weight (significant difference between 20" vs 22") right where you should not.

9. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #10 msdesignltd, Aug 30, 2016
    Funny, the 22 inchers imo are so good
    When i turned in my lease AB 2014 for a 2016.
    I was able to swap my old 22's onto my new car which only had 21's.
    Had the wheels resprayed and new tires installed
    The 22's just roll better, handle better and look better.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Yes, I would think for DD the 22" wheels tires would give a better ride.

11. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
  12. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    #13 redcaruser, Aug 31, 2016
  13. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have spent the last 15 + years trying to convince people bigger and heavier is not Better! Some get it, some do not, in the end it usually comes down to looks firs,t performance second.

14. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I still find it shocking how many, seemly knowledgeable car enthusiasts, still do not have some of the basics in automotive performance/engineering.

15. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #16 msdesignltd, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
    IMO...I am going to have to disagree with you here..the article says , if you want more comfort...not more safety..
    The weight difference is negligible compared to the benifit of an increased contact patch.... with the advancement of alloys , and the weight loss due to less weight in side wall mass...we are even steven..and performance is better.
    As for the Range rover sport itself , the recent switch over to aluminum chassis and body elements already has drastically reduce overall weight by 800 lbs.
    For me , precision steering in an emergency evasive manuever outweighs any comfort saving..precision steering increases with taller wheels and lower profiles..
    and on dry ground, the footprint yields better traction.
    Big sidewalls plow, low profiles drift...big difference.

Oh , by the way
    I do know of a case where a new owner purposely requested smallest wheels and largest sidewalls on a BMW X5..he has herniated disc problems and screws in his neck and back..
    He runs low pressure in tires as well to compensate for unseen pothole jarring bumps

16. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Personally, I preferred the seats in the full-size to the Sport. Depending on how much time your butt is going to be in them, that may matter to you. I like the look (and size) of the Sport better. Mechanically, I've had no major issues in 7-years of ownership (FYI, I have the full-size SC'd). Super competent off-road (which, most never experience), but based on the DC road conditions, it's virtually the same! So, a good suspension is useful. Cleans up well enough to go to the opera and is well-appointed. A good all-round choice.

I'd see if they can CPO it for you, though. That's a nice bit of extended peace of mind.

CW

17. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    We have a full-size RR Supercharged.
    Beautiful machine with a few niggly quirky interior choices that annoy me...but overall fantastic. As comfortable, if not more comfortable, than a Rolls Royce Ghost I was test driving.

Do the Sport and Evoque have less comfortable seats?
    I was hoping they would have same seats and pick one up someday for myself as a comfy DD (crossover...back hates getting in and out of 'vette Z06 DD) when kids out of house.

18. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    All have different seats. IMO, Full size > Sport > Evoque.

I've had a few Evoques when mine was in for service. Meh. Okay, but not terribly impressed. It's definitely better for use as a daily (than either the Sport or the Full-size, depending on where you live), given the turning radius, "peppy" motor and fuel efficiency. One of the ways improved efficiencies is achieved, however, is weight reduction. The Evoques are an example of that, and the interior (as well as feel of any door closing) belies it, IMO.

The Sport seats are fine. I live, however, in the mountains in CO. So, any drives can be longer than 60min. I found that for more than 45-60min in them, the Sport seats weren't as comfortable as the Full-size's. I went with the Full-size. For my mission, it was the right tool. Just my opinion.

The SVR is bada$$, though.

CW

19. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Whats truly hard to believe is that the sport and the full size share identical chassis's
    Wheel base and suspension parts
    What a coup by tata.
    Even the dry weights are similar
    Any way you cut it....these are the best of all world models.

Yes the SVR is on my next car list.
    However, if you leave the tailgate open about 10 inches on the sc, and nail the pedal in gear 1 and 2, the sound is truly as breathtaking as the svr.
    Rauncy wet loud .
    Try it!

20. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Since we are at the moment just discussing Range Rovers, I was asked why I would ditch the 22's wheels for 20" the answer I gave was a 20" wheel (actually even smaller would be better but 20" are still pretty good) with dedicated snow tires is a better choice for a car that see only winter. I see not reason for this things other than snow, admittedly one does not need a close to 120 sticker SUV to get through snow but I liked this one. Now if you want get to down to discussing what taking 10 to 20lbd of each corner can do for a cars handling well that is a different discussion one that you might find after owning 100's of cars and running my own tests to determine if and how much of a difference it makes I probably know a whole lot more about that than most. Being Rainman has it advantages once I get something (usually about 15 things at a time always probably why I only sleep 3 hours a day) in my head I do not stop till I find all the answers.