F Type V6 V8 | FerrariChat

F Type V6 V8

Discussion in 'British' started by WJGESQ, Sep 19, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Any of you guys develop a consensus regarding which version of this car delivers the best driving experience overall? Subjective inquiry--but I guess another way to say it is--the V8 overkill? Is the V6 more than sufficient and lighter on its feet?

They sure look good and was curious as to how the enthusiast crowd was receiving these now that they've been out for a while.

2. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    It depends on what you are looking for in a car I think. It is a very pretty car, though even in its lightest (V6 gearshift most fun to drive) it is not light and no Cayman (similar price). You could save 10lbs a corner going with lighter forged wheels, and there are ways to better the suspension, but in the end it is still a very nice looking GT car. At least that is my opinion

3. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Check out the video reviews on YouTube on the jag. Very positive.

4. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    I believe the best combo would be the V8 and all wheel drive.

5. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    To respect the tradition, a Jaguar should be rear wheel drive only, and powered by a 6-cylinder engine.

I suspect the V8 has been shoehorned in the chassis for the US market where anything less on a sport car is considered effete and the 4-wheel drive became necessary to control the power.

IMO

What let the F Type down is the lack of proper luggage space. A Boxter is far better in that respect and will get my vote any time. I like to travel with a bit more than a toothbrush !

6. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Well they look is great. But each version strikes me a pricey for a Jag. Or maybe I'm a cheap bastard.

7. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Fixed it for you :)

8. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Damn, i thought about doing that too when I first saw his post.

9. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    They wanted it to be a cheaper alternative to the 911. As one video said, just pick up a CPO car as the jags suffer massive depreciation.

10. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Yes, 6 in line would be better (BMW is going back to them), but at present a V6 is all there is on offer at Jaguar.

11. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    The V6 sounds very good, and has plenty of power (340 or 380). Even in our F-Pace the V6 sounds great and I have no doubt the F-Type would get out of its own way quite easily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8trzKte9hs

12. Gle8

Gle8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

The V6 is great...until you drive the V8. The sound from that thing is incredible. I'm still passively in the market for one, waiting for the 2014s to dip below 50K.

13. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    After posting I was looking at them as well and saw an orange vert V8 on Ebay for $62k. First world problems but I thought why didn't we just keep our M-class a couple more years and get a fun car instead!!!

14. Gle8

Gle8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

The options list/packages are a bit opaque as far as I've been able to research. Definitely want the sport pack, and the extended leather. Not a fan of the 'upgraded' wheels with the carbon fiber accents, seem a bit tacky.

But for 50-60K, it's a fine car. A fine car.

15. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Well after 5 months (and less than 600 miles) I just cannot like this car. It is just not a very good GT car nor is it a sports car. It reminds me of a very beautiful women that has nothing but outer beauty. I am replacing it with the new Miata RF which in my opinion is tens times more fun to drive at a 1/4 of the price. I will loose around 30k but I learned my lesson with the Panamera (kept it 21/2 years drove it 1100 miles) which also was car that did not know what it was supposed to be. As I get older and in less control of my ASD I have even less patience so I guess last years new years resolution is really screwed (no new cars in 2016) since this we be #9. Oh well always another resolution to make (maybe this one will last more than 9 days). I am at a point where the cars I enjoy the most are not the fastest but simple and fun (like the Abarth and the Miata). But then again I am a bit unusual having a class C RV custom built so I can take it to restaurants and have the valets feed my dogs in the parking lot. Happy New Year Everyone!

16. montegoblue

montegoblue Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    East TN
    Got a 15 R coupe a month ago -- put about 1000 miles on it already. Great GT car. Very raw power, requires skill to drive well, fun to adapt to throttle input. You can get in serious trouble if you are stupid with this car (AWD is supposed to be much easier to drive fast) but it is rewarding, sounds and feels way more expensive than its price particularly for a used one. It is not the sharpest handler -- it is heavy and you can feel the rear swinging around the heavy front if you hit it too hard too soon. IMO a 911 feels much better driving very fast on challenging courses, but for 90% of driving this car does great. Really, really enjoying it. And the sound ... although a bit artificial at times still as stimulating as much more expensive cars.

17. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I've been eyeing a CPO F Type recently. The thought of a stick shift is cool but honestly I hate the way the V6 sounds. I like the power and noise the V8 makes but I'm a bit annoyed with how all these newer cars have a "fake" sound. It just seems over the top sometimes but I guess it's the only way to get around regulations.

18. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004

I think the carbon fiber BS has went too far. It looks like plastic and when we are talking GTs--these current generation cars are all heavy porkers--putting faux/carbon accents all over the cabin--doesn't impress me one bit.

jkddad likes this.