1970 Lotus Elan+2 | FerrariChat

1970 Lotus Elan+2

Discussion in 'British' started by Yoric, Nov 18, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    How desirable is an Elan+2 Coupe? I've just had one offered on a trade and ,even though I like its looks and the idea of owning a Lotus coupe, I know very little about them. This particular car has had its original rubber donuts replaced with cv joints along with new Spax struts, the frame rails within the rocker panels were also replaced due to some corrosion (seat belts attach here). The frame is solid and the drivetrain seems in good running condition. What are the worth in a driver (number 3) condition? Am I wrong in thinking around $15K?

2. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    That sounds about right.

A great car for the money.

An Elan is on my bucket list of cars to own.

Matt

3. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    There are no frame rails within the rocker panels. The Elan and + 2 have a backbone chassis which forms a "Y" at the front to cradle the engine.
    Having said that, I love the late 60s to mid-1970s Lotuses. I have owned Europa Twin Cams since 1978. The + 2 always looked very futuristic and aerodynamically brilliant to me. Good luck!

4. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    There are seat belt mounting plates in the sills (to use the English name) and they rust. Some owners only find this out when they crash and the seat belt rips out.