Talk to me about a DB7 | FerrariChat

Talk to me about a DB7

Discussion in 'British' started by Texas Forever, Nov 18, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I'm the ultimate bottom feeder. I like to buy cars at the absolute rock bottom of their depreciation cycle. It doesn't bother me at all that somebody else has farted in the seats. So tell me the good and bad about these cars.

2. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    I have a 2003 DB7 Vantage Volante. Mendip Blue with Parchment over Pacific Blue interior. 19"s, Sport exhaust, white gauges, drilled pedals, etc. All the right options - except a manual transmission. Runs and drives great, V12 is sublime.

They do have the potential for expensive maintenance, much like any other exotic. Original coil packs were prone to failure; however most have had them serviced. V12 does not require belt change. It's designed for 150K service life!

It was all I could do to resist buying a similar 2000 on eBay recently that had 3 pedals and only 30K miles. Same colors. Went for only $29K I believe...a bargain. Probably would have made the plunge if it was optioned out same as mine.

Any with a manual do have upside potential in the future I would say. Of these, DB7 Vantage GTs are the most rare and desirable from a performance perspective.

Hope this helps!

3. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    These have started to actually climb in value in the uk, don't know what you guys are at price wise...
    So, the good and bad? Strong engine, both the transmissions are bomb proof, the auto being a bmw unit and the manual a dodge viper box with different tail shaft and input shaft. Differentials are clunky noisy leaky things but generally go for ever and ever. They do have pinion seals going out on them that can cause them to run dry so watch out for that! The front wings and boot lid are made from a composite resin. They can't be repaired if cracked, or (commonly) there are bubbles in them. They suffer with osmosis like boats! Rear trailing arms corrode through, but jag equivalents can be bought for a fraction of the cost! There are two metal plates forward and inboard of the rockers. These were welded on to be used to move the shell around the production line. Unfortunately, salt, grit and water gets trapped under these and it silently, invisibly, rots out the floor. Often the first clue is when the water has breached the corroded floorpan then trashed the engine control units beneath the seats, buried under the Wilton carpet and foam! Those plates need inspecting then cleaning out and sealing shut to prevent it. Pull the carpets, any sign of water and walk, it's very expensive to repair the structure properly. 2002-2004 engines have displayed seemingly incurable top end rattles that only occur when the oil is hot. This has manifested itself at any kind of mileage/use and needs checking for. Seats-"wing backed" sports seats break and become loose, two plastic lugs break internally. It's about two hours work and $1 worth of alluminium..

4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Thx, keep those cars and letters coming!

5. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Seems like the UK is tough on cars in terms of corrosion. Mine spent most of its life in SoCal and now sees use only on dry days.

6. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I still save manual coupes on my Car.com favorites list. There are some manual DB9s in the 40s now too though...

7. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    Yes, very much so! Our weather is well, very wet on the whole and lots of salt on the roads during winter doesn't help. Unfortunately, NO db7's were given proper underseal treatment so any kind of damp or humidity can soon cause these problems in many areas. Fabulous cars though, particularly in GT form...

8. Andrew D.

Andrew D. F1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    Goodwood Ontario
    Full Name:
    Andrew D.
    #8 Andrew D., Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    Had a DB7 vantage volante. Very pretty car. Warning lights for everything come and go. V12 has no power and sounds wussy. No power compared to my V12 Ferrari or my V12 Bentley. Helped by better exhaust-Larini with wider pipe ends. Nice summer cruise. Interior is all leather but the ancillaries(plasic) poor quality. Go for the DB9. My first was a DB MK III- sold it for $10,000 30 years ago! That was a great car. Buy an XKR in aluminum-goes like a rocket-perfectly reliable-wife has one-wore out the rear tires.

9. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Warning lights? Somewhat true. Sound? You do want the Sport Exhaust option...sounds great! It is only 420HP; however it is smooth, even power and fast enough to lose your license.

OP is talking about bottom feeding..and these are a lot of (V12) car for $25-35K. You will not touch a DB9 for close to that today and you do not want 2005 or 2006 model years - which are the cheap and plentiful years.

Other option in this range is the Maserati Spyder. Not nearly as pretty as an Aston, but nice enough interior and has a detuned Ferrari V8 under the hood.

10. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    I never see them for less than 55k or so.

11. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Why not the 2006 model year?

12. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Seats, wheels, overall value. Early cars can also exhibit valvetrain noise if overheated.

13. B R

B R F1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    B R
    I would agree with that. I'm representing a 2007 DB9 Volante, automatic, clean, low miles, etc, and priced at $50k in order to move quickly. Typical pricing on this car would be about $60k.

14. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    It's been 4 months, I wonder of the OP scored one or moved on..

There are definitely bargains to be had among DB7's. One local here went for $23k last summer. Manual V12 Coupe. Don't recall the model year. Nicely kept. It was very tempting. A similar "bottom of depreciation" buying neighbor is also wanting to find a DB7. Maybe an I6 engine for him though.

I'm in the same ballpark - late fall 2015 I scored an '07 DB9 coupe w 40k pampered miles, three pedal 6-spd, optional Heritage paint, Chestnut interior. $50k (plus $4k NY sales tax). Service records showed recent coils and clutch. Bought it just before winter from a mildly cash-strapped local seller. Seller paid $68k a year prior. These days I see automatic DB9's asking $65k & $75.
    - Art

15. FUNRARI

FUNRARI Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2008
    Washington D.C.
    Full Name:
    Z
    V8 Vantage seems like its great value right now, I've heard good things about them but never driven one.

16. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    The Smoking Tire reviews the V8 Vantage here
    https://youtu.be/EfJa2xvIIjk

Matt Farah (I believe) owns a Vanquish converted to a three pedal manual, so he has some experience with running costs for modern Astons.

In the video though, interesting comments on Astons under Ford ownership (including the DB7) and parts being parts. Some of them are not the thousand $ parts that the AM dealer would like you to believe.

17. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    There was a pearl white manual a few mos ago asking $44-45k. There was a black manual in the low $50s last year iirc in GA.

18. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Local Mercedes dealer took a 2007 DB9 Volante (automatic) on trade. 30k miles with attractive colors and options.

Didn't sell at $50k, didn't sell at $46k. Finally sold last week with an asking price under $43k.

If DB9 models are going to go this lower or worse, I have a hard time understanding how any standard DB7 model would be valued higher.

19. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Not the right way to sell an Aston.

That may have been a bargain, but 30K miles is starting to become driver status. Too many lower mileage auto cars out there. If it had a stick, it would be a different story. The national market for good cars is still much higher.

I would encourage those that want one to go out and cherry pick for a bargain though. Great cars, and you can do much of the service on your own...or find a good independent...