Series I E-Type Coupe | FerrariChat

Series I E-Type Coupe

Discussion in 'British' started by John B, Dec 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    #1 John B, Dec 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just picked up a Series I E-Type Coupe project.
    The car was restored in 1990 and has had little use since. It's been in storage for the last 20 years. The owner recently passed away and it was sold at an auction. The body is solid and straight with no rust or bondo. It looks like it was a nice restoration, it even has the proper Cheney hose clamps. The engine runs but it doesn't roll as the calipers are seized from sitting for so long. It's a nice car that will need a good recommissioning, a perfect project for me. I'm going to make it into a fun driver. I forsee Webers, cams, headers and maybe some alloys (last pic is an example), but nothing that would be irreversible.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

congrats john. the series 1 coupe is dead sexy!!

3. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

If I ever get another XKE, it would only be a series 1 coupe. Enjoy it, they are fun old cars.

4. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    I had a '67 Roadster long ago. It was such a good car I always knew there was another Series I E-Type in my future.

5. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    Lots of E-love around here..very under valued car..a joy to drive and admire. Cheers,RE

6. richardson michael

Aug 17, 2013
    brittany. france
    Full Name:
    michael richardson
    Looks good John. I bought a 62 coupe in 67. By then the floor was full of rot. Get the carpets up and poke around with a screwdriver. The 'E' in the lower picture seams to feature 'D ' type Dunlop pressed steel wheels,probably not alloy. D'ont like the sound of alloys on an early 'E'

7. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hi,

Looks just great! The photos taken outside looked like black, but I think it in an original color combination of Opalescent Dark Green with a Tan interior. Very rare nowadays, also very rare to see an unmodified original 4.2L Series 1 ceny console and shifter with the correct rubber gaiter only! Btw in those days that classic Tan (Connolly Vaumol) interior was available standard only on Black and Opal. Dark Green cars, Golden Sand had a slightly lighter tone in the leather called "Light Tan" both of which are typically nowadays always substituted in some tone of beige, which is a shame I think. Also the original metallic Opalescent Dark Green (nad earlier Opalescent Dark Blue) was so dark that it is often mistaken for black, when not seen in direct sunshine. Many repaints are far too bright and give the wrong look. Your car looks just fantastic, the way they were made.

Cheers,

Pekka T.
    Fin.

8. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    Congrats John, I've been looking for a coupe for a couple of months in the Rocky Mountain region and haven't found any worth having. I realize you're on the east coast, but if you know of any a bit nearer to me, give a shout. I'm looking for a coupe, either series I or II, as long as it's a six cylinder and also not a 2+2. My email is landeira at Colorado dot edu. THX and look forward to any and all leads from others.

9. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    #9 360gtracer, Dec 7, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    Looks like a fabulous car! Congrats on the purchase. I hope the "recommissioning" goes well. Enjoy!

gp

p.s. - What year is this car? Thanks.

10. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    1964-1967, but I would say most likely 1965 as it does not seem to have the Hazard flasher unit that came with all US models from late 1965. Could even be a 1964 (1st year of the 4.2l) but in most cases cars were titled a bit younger than they wer made. in CA they added the J63, J64, J65 tag to the vin for "model year" as Jaguar did not have a "model year" definition before 1970.

But I guess the owner may know better. :)

Cheers,

Pekka T.
    Fin.

11. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it.

It's a '66

12. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Same year as mine. Plan on doing your own work on it?

They are unique, I'll say that. If you remember my 240Z (you came to look at it IIRC), very similar except the 240Z was SO easy to work on.

The E-type is a quirky Brit. Mine has been a TANK, though - much of the underpinnings have been refurbed.

Best of luck with it!

13. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    mini lite wheels look much better.

14. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Super cool car. I'm guessing that's a black exterior. I like the darker tan interior; you don't see that a lot.

Personally, the webers, some cooling mods, an ss header, and those Dunlop wheels would make for one menacing street ride. My car has the header, and it isn't a bit louder than stock, at least not to my ear.

Great fun winter project!

15. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    #15 John B, Dec 21, 2016
    I took the Jag out for its maiden voyage yesterday. It seems this won't be nearly as big of a project as I thought, it drives great! Straight and smooth down the road, no pulling or vibrations. No squeaks or rattles. The steering is tight and light with no slop. It brakes strong and straight. The engine is smooth, torquey, and very responsive to the throttle. There's no smoke and it doesn't overheat (at 40 degree ambient). The compression test was good, 125 across, with one 120 (#3). I'll check it again after a good "Italian Tune up" to clear the carbon off the valves. The gear changes are crisp and positive and the synchros are good. After a couple hours of compounding and wax and the single stage paint really popped! It's mirror like now. This is going to be a great car! There are a few minor items to keep me busy; no high beams, no horn, one blinker doesn't work, replace some rubber door hood and trunk seals, sagging headliner, improper center console cushion, rear window trim, new tires. I think I'll hold off on the Webers, cams, headers, Dunlop wheels idea for now, it's a nice honest car as is.

16. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #16 msdesignltd, Dec 27, 2016