Turbo R Too ostentatious | FerrariChat

Turbo R Too ostentatious

Discussion in 'British' started by awilson, Dec 22, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. awilson

awilson Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2013
    Annapolis Md
    Full Name:
    Andrew G. Wilson,II
    After some research I have decided to pursue a 1989 Turbo R. When it was built it was one of the finest motor cars produced. Stiffer ride and enhanced performance on a lavish platform. They appear to be a good deal and a solid ride. My wife says that they are too ostentatious and that we would look like a poor family attempting to look rich. I was thinking of the high quality craftsmanship and the enjoyment of owning something so fine at a reasonable cost. I have a 348 Spyder and want to compliment the stable. So, what does the collective think? Any leads to a good car also appreciated. Andy

2. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

to me, this is among the last proper Bentleys. the only bentley I would own. a true chariot!!!

if I could find a truly flawless example I would have a hard time passing one up.

3. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    When I see someone in an older Bentley or Rolls, I never think of a poor person trying to look rich, I think that they're someone who is an enthusiast and appreciates the intangibles of the car. When I see someone in a brand new leased MB, Audi, or BMW thats when I think its a regular person trying to look rich...

4. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    I think that style of Bentley (Turbo R & Mulsanne) were the *least* ostentatious looking cars.

I think they flew under the radar compared to older Bentley cars.

5. Hocakes

Hocakes Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2010
    FL
    I saw one these in black once in the middle of nowhere upstate NY in the early 90s. Do it. Darth Vader's luxo cruiser. Bad ass looking car.

6. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Amazing- I was going to say the same thing- even the part with the leased latest me too image cars :)

A turbo R would be a special car, and match the special car a Ferrari 348 is quite nicely- would make a beautiful stable!

7. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Great car and goes like stink.
    Get it and post pics!

8. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Goes together nicely with 348

9. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Your wife is wrong in her opinion, when I see one driven, I always think it is driven by a real connoisseur enjoying his ride....

10. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I agree.

also agree with Flash, I think the Turbo R/Mulsanne were very understated.

11. MrMark

MrMark Karting

Apr 3, 2013
    Louisiana, USA
    Buy that Turbo R! Everyone I know who has a late '80s/early 90's Bentley is well off financially and they drive them because they like them. The older RR-Bentleys really have an impressive presence.
    The people trying to look rich are more likely found in leased luxo German cars or giant American SUVs

12. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Agree on all counts......but do be prepared for some eye-watering expenses if/when something electronic fails (to say nothing of mechanical repairs).

But as a good Fcar owner, you probably already understand that......;-)

13. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Sounds like a money pit and I don't see any amazing craftsmanship when I look at it. Looks similar to my grandmas 90s Cadillac inside.

There is a very good reason that these cars cost $10K...

14. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Probably the least ostentatious super sedan ever built.
    Buy the best one you can find.

15. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Absolutely.

Jamie H likes this.