No older Bentleys | FerrariChat

No older Bentleys

Discussion in 'British' started by awilson, Feb 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. awilson

awilson Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2013
    Annapolis Md
    Full Name:
    Andrew G. Wilson,II
    I am in Naples Fl. Naples must be the Bentley capital of the world. Bentley's are everywhere. All of them Brooklands and convertibles. Every color. I also see many RR's. Many newish and many older ie Silver Spur. I see NO older Bentleys. Not one Turbo R or any of the old classics. Why ? I wanted to buy a good Turbo R but wonder why none appear in a place obviously littered with luxury sedan's. Any ideas ?

2. kdf398

kdf398 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Pasadena
    Full Name:
    Keith
    It is the same on the West Coast. My office is in Beverly Hills and the streets are littered with Bentleys- all new or newish: mostly GT, GTC, and Flying Spur, with the odd Mulsanne thrown in. Rarely see a Bentley Turbo R, Continental R (which would be a real treat), or heaven forbid, a Bentley T. Even the Arnage is a rare sight. Same for Rolls Royce. Lots to see but nothing pre-Phantom.

3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    It's because they are cheap to buy for a reason. The costs of repair are huge. They are well known for head gasket issues which is a massive expense. In some cases more then the car is worth. I quoted a job at the worst case scenario with the studs pulling from the block on torque, and it was over 30k. Beautiful cars, but the costs are ridiculous compared to just throwing it away and getting another one.

4. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    They depreciated too much and fell into hands that couldn't repair them. I see them sitting around rundown mechanic and body shops rotting away every once in a while.

5. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hi,

In Europe you see them a lot more, especially Southern and also in the North.

At first when you wrote "older" I thought like Speed Six and 3.0 and 4 1/4 Litre from the 1920's and 30's. :D You don't see those too often and I bet they are easier to fix than a Turbo R.

Cheers,

Pekka T.
    Fin.

6. richardson michael

Aug 17, 2013
    brittany. france
    Full Name:
    michael richardson
    Andrew. You are in the centre of the Bentley/RR world. After VW aquired Bentley Motors in 2000,they lined up Derek Bell as development consultant,and out of this relationship,retail opportunities came along. In 2006,at Naples.fl, 120 miles from Dereks home,he was contacted by Terry Taylor,a big retailer of non american marques,and a deal was done to open a state of the art shop on US 41,with Bent/RR/Jag/AM etc.I understand there are more wealthy people in Naples during Dec/Jan than any other US city. So,they all arrive in their top end vehicles !