Lotus super sevens and clones | FerrariChat

Lotus super sevens and clones

Discussion in 'British' started by LightGuy, Feb 26, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    These have always fascinated me having been a Formula car driver.
    "Simplify then add lightness".
    There is a Birkin dealer in town and went down there to look-see.
    Going in I thought that the straight Lotus 7 was the "best" as it is original. He did not have one in stock.
    I dont think I can fit at 6'1 and 240 lbs.
    That plus the new clones can handle 200+ HP where as the original were built for 150ish max (?)

This Zetec powered and Quaife sequential transmissioned car did catch my eye;
    2005 Birkin Super Seven S-3 Super sevan | Arlington, Texas | Texas Motor Works

Hows Birkin ?
    Are Caterhams supposed to be better ?

2. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    I feel the same aboat these as you. But I've never owned one either. The Caterham seems to be the "higher end" brand and I think resale values show this. I would go check out some of the Caterham or lotus 7 forums and see what they say about height. I doubt you are the first 6'1" person to consider buying!

Imo the Caterham is the legitimate successor to the car once lotus stopped building them.

3. centerfireman

centerfireman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2015
    Roseville, CA
    I have had two Sevens (a Lotus Series IV and a Caterham S3). Typically, a driver's height is less of a problem than width. At 6'1" you should fit in a Caterham (especially if you have the "lowered floor" option that drops the floor of the car almost 2"); the 240 pounds may be more of an issue for you. However, both Caterham and Birkin make a "wide body" model that provides significantly more width in the cockpit (~4" wider, I think). I think the wide-body versions, with lowered floors, would probably work for you. However, definitely try out the fit before purchasing. Good luck. There is nothing quite like a Seven!

4. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    #4 LightGuy, Feb 26, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    Don't know if I'd fit in an English Lotus S3. Don't like the looks of the S4.

I tried the fit of a standard Birkin.
    Perhaps because I am used to Formula cars its not a problem even with the standard seat. Fits like a glove.
    Don't like the driving position much as the steering wheel is too low and would either remove the seat altogether and sit on pads (or pour a seat) or bolt the seat to the floor (minus fore/aft rack).
    I assume the steering column cant be raised.

5. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    #5 John B, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    LightGuy, we have very similar tastes! We may have been separated at birth.
    Like you, I've long been intrigued by Lotus 7's and Caterhams. I'm 6'3 230 and also race formula cars. I had occasion to try a buddys Carerham R500 at a track day a two years ago and was blown away by it. I started out driving it like a street car, but soon realized it's more formula car than street car and began braking later (or not at all) and carrying much more corner speed. I got out thinking I needed one. I did'nt like the $80-$90k price tag on a newly built Caterham so figured I'd look around for a decent used one with a high spec Duratec engine. Well it took two years but I finally found a perfect one for me. It's an '03 Caterham SV. The SV is the wider body, I think it's just a couple inches wider and you wouldn't notice it unless you saw it side by side with a regular one. It has a 2.3L 235 HP Duratec and weighs 1230 lbs. I fit fine in it and it's an absolute blast! It'll out run just about anything with ease. It lights it's tires up through third and is a real hooligans car! I particularly like mine as it has the polished aluminum body and retains much of the charm of the original Lotus 7 but with the modern drive train. Unfortunately I holed a piston at it's first track day. The prior owner had dyno tuned it for street use, the occasional brief full throttle burst, but it turns out it was too lean for half an hour mostly full throttle. The good news is we pulled the engine and sent it to Hasselgern who builds our Formula Atlantic race engines. He's making it into a pump gas burning 2.5L MZR with cosworth barrel throttles. Probably 280-300 hp. I can't wait!

Oh yeah, you really should have bought my Stradale!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Yes that would almost be the "perfect" 7 for me including the BRG fenders etc and a polished aluminum body.
    I used to race an Atlantic too; Brabham BT29.

Tell me about it !
    I had just purchased a gun collection, was cash poor, and thus needed a loan ( first time in 20 years ). As such the wife had to cosign. Instead she started to froth at the mouth. Funny that.

You still have the Boxer ?
    Me too.
    A keeper.

7. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    Yes sir! Still have my BB. Mine's a keeper as well.

8. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
  9. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    That looks like fun squared!