E Type Weight? | FerrariChat

E Type Weight?

Discussion in 'British' started by lashss, Mar 28, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    What does an E Type actually weigh in road trim? Coupe and Open...

What about one setup for track use that may be stripped of trim, leather and other items not needed for track use?

They seem really heavy for that size and era. Although, I know the engine and bodywork are heavy due to materials used.

Thanks,
    LSJ

2. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    Series 1 FHC: 2,900 lbs
    Series 1 OTS: 2,770 lbs
    Series 1 Lightweight: 2,224 lbs

Probably a couple hundred pounds lighter stripped for track use.
    The lightweights were OTS alloy bodies with hardtops and initially had aluminum engine blocks.

3. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    The April 2017 issue of Sports Car Market has a nice profile of the 1963 XKE Lightweight that sold for $7+ million at Scottsdale. It notes that the 12 original factory Lightweight XKEs had aluminum chassis replacing the original steel.

4. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Lash,

Long time, no chat. Are you getting an E-Type. I need to score a ride/drive in one :)

5. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Mine said 2465lbs on registration for a 65 OTS. Oil, gas coolant another 100-150 max

6. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Thanks for the replies. It could be an interesting street/track cruiser.

I knew there was a lot of steel and cast iron involved.

Anyone care to comment on what a decently reliable hot rod jag motor puts out?

DSD, you never know. I need something new!

LSJ

7. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    #7 Fennicus, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi,

I have very accurate data from three years ago when I was on corner scales with my 1972 Euro spec Series 3 E-type V12 roadster (OTS) in a garage where some friends build race cars.

I know everyone thinks it's a very heavy car and supposedly nose heavy, but no!

Of course it's not exactly "Lightweight" either, I think the engine and (manual) gearbox weigh nearly 400kg alone and there's over 12 liters of oil, 18 liters of cooling fluid, I had a full fuel tank (80 liters of fuel) and normal road trip gear, hood envelope, tools, jack, spare wheel, some normal roadside kit, polishing and washing stuff and two bags in the trunk.

I only weigh ca. 75kg so the total weight was 1568kg and without me the whole thing was 1493kg.

So ok, the 456 GT is a four seater, yes it has a roof and it has A/C, but it does also weigh quite a lot more. I bet it's faster too, but I like both cars for what they are. And yes, a 1973/1974 US Spec. lower compression V12 E with an automatic gearbox, A/C, air pumps and other smog gear will probably weigh more and have less power, but it's still a pretty and well balanced sports car for it's age.

Now what really surprised me was the balance. If you do the maths, you will find that when I was behind the steering wheel the front axle was 50,25% and rear axle was 49,75%.

Cheers,

Pekka T. (& 1S20183)

Fin.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    Lash, a friend with lots of experience with E-types tells me a highly-strung 7500 rpm full race motor can put out 450 HP. It would not be streetable.