What should I look for in '80's Rolls Royce | FerrariChat

What should I look for in '80's Rolls Royce

Discussion in 'British' started by nathandarby67, Apr 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I saw this last night on the side of a Mississippi highway (always prime Rolls Royce hunting grounds). A friend went by today and sent me these pics. As a Big Time British Car Guy, I've always liked and appreciated these from afar, but never took the plunge. I've recently started a small part time car dealership, so am always on the lookout for interesting stuff I can enjoy for a bit before passing along, and hopefully not lose money in the process.

Assuming I could get this for a good price, what questions should I ask and what should I look for when I go back for a closer inspection? I know the hydraulic braking and suspension on these can be fiendishly complex and stupidly expensive to repair, but other than basic operation, how should I inspect it? Any particular warning signs? Any other known weak points to pay close attention to? Also, what do y'all think is a realistic value for a decent driver quality example?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    With all due respect, you're jumping into the deep end for your first inventory purchase. To continue the analogy, you could be underwater very quickly in one of these, ruining any profit margin that you might have had.

3. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    #3 nathandarby67, Apr 6, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    Oh yes, I am well aware of all that. I know parts are very, very expensive and there is little margin for an expensive repair and remaining profitable. Priorities for this car would be enjoyment first, potential sale second.

Also, not my first piece of inventory at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. kdf398

kdf398 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Pasadena
    Full Name:
    Keith
  5. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    As an owner of two classic RR's, I have a soft spot for these cars. BUT the two tone on this one is not enticing - a first for me for dislike. Just mentioning this in terms of resale ability.

6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Stop..turn around, and drive the opposite direction. There is a reason they are cheap, and do not sell. Let this one rot where it sits.

7. AClark

AClark Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    USA

Just my .02 :

What's the mileage?

Service History Service History Service History !

Suspension and Braking system

Steering rack - check for leaks

Engine Leaks - some require engine out to addresss

Obviously,interior condition.... Leather ( dry or split ? ) and wood trim ( splitting or peeling ? )

And lastly confirm electrical function of all accessories... knowing that there WILL be malfunctions ...

Good Luck and Enjoy when you finally find the right one!

8. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Stopped by in person today. Could not get in touch with owner though, hopefully tomorrow. Looks reasonably straight as old British cars go. Leather a little dry looking in spots but no tears or holes. Would probably come around nicely with some leatherique. Wood looks great. Paint looks really good assuming it is original. Would polish up nicely. I think mileage says 98K but couldn't quite see odometer well enough to tell 100%. Tires have 2004 production date. Underside looks solid. No rust that I could see except around rear window corners, which of course is probably enough in and of itself to walk away. Will try owner again tomorrow just so I can see inside and maybe drive. Probably more just for familiarization and as a reference point for any potential future purchases, as I have a feeling this one has a lot of deferred maintenance. Pics:

View attachment 1

9. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    what should you look for?

the nearest exit

10. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan

LOL :D

11. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    #11 SAFE4NOW, Apr 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. porkchopious

porkchopious Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2009
    Oakton, VA
    Full Name:
    David
    If the owner gives you this car for free, you will have paid too much...

13. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

LOLS!

14. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Woof!!

What's a really clean one go for?

Subtract $50K, there's your asking price... to take it away for him. :D

Oh, and if he goes for it, take the check he gives you, turn the car in at the nearest scrap yard, and run for the hills.

D

15. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
  16. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    This may be a dumb question, but can you replace the troublesome Rolls Royce hydraulic suspension system with coils?

I know a lot of Rover owners have done this with the air suspension system.

17. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan

Certainly anything is possible given the proper budget. I guess it would come down to how many components would be available off-the-shelf and how many would have to be fabricated, and how complicated those fabricated components are. I have to believe it has been done at some point though, just given the troublesome nature of the factory design. The other side of the equation is that the brakes also use a very complicated system, so not sure if one would really be doing a lot of long term good to replace the suspension but leaving the complicated braking system in place.

18. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    Thats exactly what I did with my lincoln limousine, it was actually cheaper to buy coil springs than replace the air bags. Easy instalation and no more saggy suspension.

19. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Depends upon how fast you can run away from a rust bucket/ bottomless pit etc. Keep going until you reach the state line

20. exoticfan001

exoticfan001 Rookie

Sep 30, 2010
    These cars have coil springs; the hydropneumatic struts are used instead of shock absorbers. The Rolls suspension and brakes are NOT troublesome if maintained. I have not experienced issues with my Bentley Turbo R in two decades of use. Changing these systems would drastically alter the dynamics that make these cars unique. It would be expensive and challenging because they are engineered into the drivetrain. I wouldn't be surprised if the modifications cost more than many years of maintaining the OEM systems. Not to mention that the already low resale value would drop to almost zero.

In fact, these cars are reliable overall but must be serviced properly. I would run away from an example that was neglected, abused or modified.

21. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    That looks like a lot more fun than an 80s Rolls. Congratulations.

22. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I like the two-tone theme!

:)

Matt

23. sinkman

sinkman Karting

Oct 28, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Phil
    I own a 1980 Shadow and 1987 Spirit.
    I admire the enthusiasm but I suggest you heed the advice of the others...Run Away!

The colours are terrible and the condition of the interior poor. This car has not been looked after. You only buy one that has had a diligent keeper.

Sorry...trying to save you some grief here. Oh and the rust...RUN AWAY!

24. awilson

awilson Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2013
    Annapolis Md
    Full Name:
    Andrew G. Wilson,II
    I tried to convince myself of the same thing you are attempting to do. I ran.,

25. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    This is what I figured... that the hydraulic suspension had too many integrated components with other mineral oil based systems to remove it.

Interesting that on the Range Rover, the cars have conventional shocks and pneumatic springs, but on the Rolls Royce the cars have conventional springs and hydraulic shocks... all to achieve the same, self-leveling ride.

Two ways to skin the same cat.