DB9 vs V8 Vantage to live with/maintain | FerrariChat

DB9 vs V8 Vantage to live with/maintain

Discussion in 'British' started by Meister, May 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Greetings,

So the mid 2000's V8 Vantage has been on my radar last couple of years. From all accounts (threads here) sounds like they are a pretty solid and reliable car. One big ($) issue can be the oil pan leak/recall/fix if not already done. Clutches seem a little weak and manuals are preferred but other than that the drivetrain is considered relatively bullet proof.

That being said the DB9 of same vintage is only a little more $. The four seats has a value to me and I've never had the privileged of owning a V12

Basically the question is: is the DB9 overall considered as reliable as the Vantage or are there more complications/costs due to the extra cylinders and different platform?

Thanks!

2. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I have not owned either but I have heard that the vantage is more reliable and less expensive to maintain.

Robb

3. sinkman

sinkman Karting

Oct 28, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Phil
    I own a 2005 manual DB9. It has been reliable. It will be more to maintain - that is just common sense - 8 cylinders vs 12.

Drive both and see which sings to you.
    If you are buying based on maintenance costs I would advise a V8. I hope you don't die wondering though...drive both.

4. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Great question, Meister.

I'm going to watch this thread with interest.

Matt

5. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    V8 is far easier to work on yourself if so inclined. That 12 is really jammed in there. My V8 Vantage has been reliable, and I do my own fluid changes and maintenance so costs are pretty low.

I think the Vantage is better looking than the DB9.

6. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    The DB9 has four seats, but you can only use two. I've owned two and still have a Virage. I love the car and the Engine is bulletproof. It is two Ford 3 liter V-6's in series. The best cruiser ever.

Joe

7. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    I've owned my 2007 DB9 6MT Sport Pack for about 18 months now. So far the only maintenance that I've done is fluids. The car belonged to a good friend for the 7 years prior to that and the only maintenance he did to the car was fluids and he had to repair the Nav screen when someone tried to push it down. (Stripped the gears out of the flip screen).
    If you go DB9, the manual trans is less expensive to own, fyi.

FWIW, YMMV

Jim

8. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Can't go wrong either way. Astons are a pleasure to own and drive and the interiors are superb. Most provide reliable service...but like any exotic...can have expensive problems. The level of expensive depends where and how you deal with the service in the event that a repair is needed.

9. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    #9 Meister, May 26, 2017
    Last edited: May 26, 2017
    for right now I only need to fit a car seat in the back. I can fit the seat in my mondial and I know several people who have them in the back of 911/997's/etc. It does look a lot tighter than either of those, but surely I should be able to squeeze one in...??

We do several car themed weekends per summer and now that we have a 2 Y/O my wife and I can't just jump in a (fun) car and take off so for the last two summers I've towed a car to these events and that has gotten old really fast. Thus I'm looking for a 4 seat GT (cab) the three of us can pile in and go for 3-5 days. Choices seem to be 996/7, M3, M6, Maser and now DB9.

10. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Don't forget the Aston Rapide...

11. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Can't we, please?

:)

Matt

12. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Ha! Can't say I like the gen 2 grille, but it is a damn sight prettier than a Panamera or Quattroporte...and has a lovely V12. Price is attractive, too. It does fit the OPs use case...

13. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    This is intended to be constructive, rather than to denigrate the brand.

I am a Brit. I love the AM brand. 007 meets Le Mans etc. but, having thought hard about a v12v, I decided against it based on the expected maintenance costs and any services required to be performed by the dealer. Here is a quick summary of a few months of learning:

First, I talked to the service writer at my local dealer:
    - "how much is a 15,000 mile service (on a v12v)?".
    - "$6,500"
    - "what do you do?"
    - "we do the belts, fluids, plugs..."
    - "cam belts?"
    - "no, auxiliary belts"

Second, a good friend just had "some minor work" (his description) done on his (v12) Vanquish at the same dealer. $29,000

Third, another friend runs an Aston, Jaguar dealership in the UK. His summary:
    - there is little else like it, and the v12 with a manual transmission is a great combination
    - they are maintenance needy

Last, he and another principal with significant experience of the brand opined the Jaguar f-type was a better engineered car.

Personally, I can overlook the last point but the high maintenance costs would ruin the joy of ownership for me. Doug DeMuro (sp?) did one or more YouTube segments talking about the ownership costs of his v8v. It was not pretty. Worth checking out.

Good luck and let us know where you come out.

Philip

14. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    They use the same electrical architecture. The same Volvo seats, mirrors, airbags and nav. Engine wise the V12 munches coils, hemoarages oil like the exon Valdez yet will plod on forever. The V8 has a diff made of cheese eats clutches and the volante models die the minute the roof control module even sniffs any sign of damp. Therefore the costs across the two even themselves out. The Gaydon cars were Astons first foray into mass production and unless you buy a really late car, it very much shows. I'd still take a nine or a baby vantage over an early qp though. The sound and theatre is worth all the grief and entry fee alone!

15. sandersja

sandersja Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Portland OR
    Full Name:
    John Sanders
    So other than hearsay, I will offer my direct experience with owning a V8 Vantage. In fact one of the earliest cars since new in 2006. It continue to be very reliable. Just like my Ferrari I have it dealer-serviced every year. I had the typical oil leak fixed once and done under warranty. Had one shock leak, which was remedied by adding the desirable Sport Package suspension. A good excuse for an upgrade. Compared to my Ferrari and its annual expenses the Aston has been trouble free. Then again I have a F355 that I love so much I dont begrudge the costs.

Like any car, from Honda to Zonda, your experience depends on how the car is treated - both driving and maintenance. I would suggest anyone to get a V8V since it is a wonderful machine. Different than a Ferrari but even better in some ways. Totally different driving experience.

16. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Heresay. I wouldn't base my decision on these anecdotes. Especially from Doug DeMuro. Honestly... ;-)

17. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    My guess is we've owned cars and paid very expensive bills. It ruined the joy of ownership experience for me. It may not for you.

I stand by the observations and have no reason to doubt their veracity. The experience may be different from your own. Great, I think you came out ahead.

I find DeMuro's v8v warranty experience illuminating.

I think it's all a mix of informed opinion and data. I also think it is foolish to "sweep it under the carpet" with "heresay". I can't imagine it was unhelpful to the OP.

Philip

18. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    I agree with this. I just get my VQ back with a minor service of $3400 a a dealership. Nothing was wrong. Fluids change and a few o-rings in the AC pipes that got bad and leaked freon and required an AC recharge. This only 2 years after a huge bill.

so basically, some fluids, a couple of filters, orings, recharge and labor.
    This has a way to spoil the party when you get the credit card out.

No heresay here. Anyone who buys any exotics has to expect this, no matter how good the car is. if not, the car will not be maintained properly unless you are doing it yourself if you are an ace mechanic and have the time.

19. AH100s

AH100s Rookie

Jan 20, 2010
    Tionesta,PA
    We have put 17000 miles on our 2010 vantage ( 4.7 manual )over two years of ownership without any problems whatsoever. The car now has 30000 miles with only regular service. No experience with the DB9 to make a comparison.

20. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Similar experience with the DB9. 3 years and 6000 miles with regular service only...

21. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    I had 47,000 miles on my 2005 DB9 and 25,000 miles on my 2012 Virage with no major problems.

Joe

22. Atlanta355

Atlanta355 Karting

Jun 7, 2008
    Atlanta
    I am also English living in the US and there is no way I would take any over 5 year old Aston to a main dealer and get ripped off like that. I had an older V8 Vantage in the UK and used an independent and the car was cheap to run, on par with a 997 I also owned. I cannot see where these costs come from, it isn't even hard to do a service on a V8 as DIY. i am actually thinking of buying a 2009 DB9 right now which expect to drive 5k a year. I figure maintenance at well under 1k every year unless there is a major issue. If there is an issue I will do some research and fix it myself or take it to an independent. Remember dealers see cars out of warranty as a may to make but the money they loose on warranty repairs.

23. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Good insight...an independent shop is a necessity for an older out of warranty exotic.

There is nothing more beautiful than an Aston.

Find a good independent shop first...speak with a few owners who have their cars serviced there...and who knows maybe one or two of the cars you consider buying might be customers cars...

The dealership service departments know nothing and charge insane costs for repairs...

The R &D from the factory is non existent for cars like Aston.....it's basically change parts until they resolve the owners issue....and that gets expensive real fast.

If it were me? Out of the cars discussed...I'd lean towards the Porsche 997 or 996 turbo as parts although not inexpensive,,,,are probably more reasonable and it's easy to get repairs..

With a newborn ..you will have little patience for parts delay etc of the Aston or Maserati...

I will mention a friend owns a corvette c7 z51 and he sold an Aston to purchase....for some track use....he said he misses his Aston and is buying another pre owned one...said it was the sweetest road car he has ever owned.....

That says a lot....imo...

Not the fastest or best handling etc....just the best road car he ever owned...

How often do we forget the overall experience is of utmost concern....for road cars....

Good luck deciding

24. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Vantage V8 bullet proof, The db9 a larger touring car with great upgrade fiT and finish.
    The v8 Vantage was the MUSTANG V8 of the Aston lineup.
    The early db9 are more pure but the usual coil pack, oil leaks and tail lights that collect water .
    The cost today to jump in is so cheap, its worth it at any stage.
    The v8 is just bomb proof, the db9 a little more delicate.
    Now the Vanquish 2002/2006 is a whole other kettle of fish.
    EVERYTHING IS SO GENTLE.......
    GTJOEY1314

25. forzatifosi

forzatifosi Karting

Aug 30, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    J
    go for the DB9...our 06' manual volante has been bulletproof thus far (2 yrs. in)....the v8 vantage is a pretty care but it is on the slow side