Thoughts on buying a repaired car | FerrariChat

Thoughts on buying a repaired car

Discussion in 'British' started by Jo Sta7, Jun 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

There are plenty of threads here about the plus:minus on buying a salvage car.

Biggest plus? Price
    Biggest Minus? resale

All the rest is just minor noise, assuming the car was repaired properly. I'd suggest the only way to assure that would be to have the car thoroughly examined by a high end body shop before buying. A mechanic can tell you if the motor runs properly, but he's not gonna be able to spot the frame being out of whack 1/2", a bodyshop can.

See if the seller will let you send it to a good one to be examined and make the sale contingent on the car being "original except for the suspension repairs" as advertised.

If it is, and you don't mind owning a car that's 100X harder to sell than a regularly titled car, or if you intend to drive it until the delta on price no longer matters to you, then go for it, with one more caveat.
    A "NY-907A Salvage Certificate" as indicated in the listing, means when you buy it, before a true salvage title can be issued, the State of NY must examine the car to make sure it's not stolen, or that it has been repaired with stolen parts. So you could in theory, hand over a big ol' check, and end up with a car that has to be dismantled and repaired again, OR, might get confiscated.

And the salvage certificate was issued because the car had damage totaling 75% of the car's retail value. How the hell would running the car over a curb cause north of $100K worth of damage?

D

D

2. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Check with your insurance and your bank (if financing) before you get too far. Some insurance companies will not cover a salvage or rebuilt car. Some banks will not loan on them either.

3. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Why would you want one? You buy it for less and you sell it for equally less. There is no actual savings and on top of that, it's really really hard to sell and might have massive repair bills since there is no warranty anymore.

You can but a perfectly fine 570 for 170-180k.

4. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #5 msdesignltd, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    buying a $100,000.00+ car in Brooklyn NY..

Hmmmm...what could go wrong???

says no paint...we just replaced half the cars body ..

Totaling a car without damaging the body....Forgetaboutit!

5. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    If I am not mistaken that company lists a lot of cars on ebay. Personally, I would not do it, there are other issues like some insurance companies will not insure and if they do should something happen you may find yourself without much if any help from them financially. Also a bit hard to believe that hitting a curb would cause that much damage and a salvage title.

6. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Thanks everyone. My thought process was to offer them $100k for the car and just see if they would do it but I won't even bother.