Lotus Production To China? | FerrariChat

Lotus Production To China?

Discussion in 'British' started by David Lind, Jun 26, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    A Chinese built Lotus? Even if one could ignore the heritage, racing history, and essential "Britishness" of Lotus - and I couldn't - are the Chinese known for building great performance cars? I assume this would mean a 99% turnover in workers, so ...

Future Lotus Cars Could Be Built In China

2. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I don't think there will be sports cars (at least not what Lotus's have been in the past) in future of this company. They bought this for distribution and entries into new markets for their own cars not for the Lotus brand as we know it.

3. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Lotus without sports cars would be a bull***t marketing brand exercise. It would have as much substance as Aero Postale ... ever tried to catch a flight or mail any packages through them?

4. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Lotus doesn't have an impressive distribution network, nor a big share of the market anywhere.

In most countries, Lotus has only a handful of distributors, and the total production is less than 2000 cars some years! Not so long ago, they reported 800 cars only per year !

So, I assume that if the Chinese are serious about building from this small company, they will be keeping its design team in UK, and just switch production to China, under supervision from a British team.

If they mess up with the brand, their investment will have been worthless; Lotus occupies a very specific niche on the market and has very loyal customers.

5. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    It was Proton they wanted. I have been following Geely for two years now (own over 150K shares of their stock), unless they intend to have Volvo dealers selling Lotus in this country I really do not believe from a business standpoint it will make sense to even keep Lotus in the U.S. I do a lot of business with Chinese companies and I do hope I am wrong, but what I have seen tells me I probably am not.

6. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    just saw that Geely bought Lotus... not sure what will happen... I hope they can survive and prosper. A fine car company - that sadly just suffered from bad luck and mis -management.

7. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    The plan as I hear it from the Uk.

Geely has said "you build great cars, now build some great new ones", and heres some cash to devlop them.

next up the mew elige, 2200lbs powered by the volvo turbosupercharged 4. In polestar guise this engine already makes 450ish hp.

Then a new esprit on a shortened evora platform, utilizing a bespoke v8.

once the new cars are out and the "brand" is then established as credible amongst those with no driving skills but lots of $$$ we will see the lotus SUV. This to be based on a Volvo platform just as porches are Vws. This car could be built in China.

IMO all good stuff, the sportscar development and prodction stays in Hethel, the comitment to light weight clever engineering and cars that just drive as they should remains and are lotus USP's. A suv will probably be economic to buy, drive properly be great and generate lots of $$$ of the brand cred.