Selling my 2005 Aston Martin DB9 at Mecum Harrisburg | FerrariChat

Selling my 2005 Aston Martin DB9 at Mecum Harrisburg

Discussion in 'British' started by HOF Ferrari, Jul 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HOF Ferrari

HOF Ferrari Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Canton, Ohio
    Full Name:
    AFG
    This is the longest I have ever owned a car in my life, a little over 7 years...It has been an awesome car, no problems at all, but time to let it go

2005 DB9
    silver/black
    awesome condition,
    newer tires,
    red calipers/ heated seats/2 keys/manual
    upgraded OEM sport pack wheels $7,000)
    clear 3M bra on front
    33k miles

any guesses on what it will bring??

2. gt1995

gt1995 Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    Assuming it is not a manual, you'd probably be doing well if you got $40k-$45k for it, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it fetch in the high 30s given buyers premium and potential transportation costs.

As you probably know, the 2005 models are generally considered less desirable. They seem to be trading in the mid-40s unless they are manuals and/or convertibles.

3. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I'm shopping for one of these ( a cab), why is 2005 less desirable? Thanks

4. HOF Ferrari

HOF Ferrari Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Canton, Ohio
    Full Name:
    AFG
    It's a paddle shift automatic.

5. HOF Ferrari

HOF Ferrari Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Canton, Ohio
    Full Name:
    AFG
    You got me, I haven't had ANY problems with mine over 7 years and about 11,000 miles!

6. gt1995

gt1995 Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    The model seemed to evolve significantly over the years, with a major facelift, engine power increase, changes to wheel packages and sizes, and interior changes including major improvements to the seats. I've always heard that the early cars from 2005 suffered more reliability issues. A search on the major vehicle sales web sites will show the price difference.

I'm a fan of the convertible myself and hope to grab one once I build my new garage.

7. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    It has been discussed a few times in the British section as well as other sites, such as AMOC forum, 6 Speed Online and Pistonheads. And a good reference for feature differences is "The Definitive Guide to Gaydon Era Aston Martin". Check it out before buying. Personally, I would go for 2007 or newer. You will see why after doing a little research...

8. XJRS Owner

XJRS Owner Karting

Aug 20, 2009
    Northern CT
    There's one significant change which really affects desirability; the front seats. I had a 2006 and found the seats uncomfortable (too narrow/confining). The seats from 2007-on are broader since the seat bolsters are far less pronounced. So 05/06 has the narrow seats, 07 and later the broader seats. This affects value more than anything else.

9. montegoblue

montegoblue Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    East TN
    Agree 100 per cent ; seats in my 05 were not comfortable at all !

10. HOF Ferrari

HOF Ferrari Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Canton, Ohio
    Full Name:
    AFG
    I've never felt a problem with the seats, I'm 5'9" and about 200 lbs....

11. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    nice license plate :)

pretty car, good luck with the auction!

12. HOF Ferrari

HOF Ferrari Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Canton, Ohio
    Full Name:
    AFG
  13. HOF Ferrari

HOF Ferrari Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Canton, Ohio
    Full Name:
    AFG
    Hammered at $58k...really pleasantly surprised....my 91 Testarossa also did great ($130k)....and my Lamborghini Jalpa did decent at $62k

14. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    Congrats! Tells me that the DB9 market has potentially picked up a bit. :)

Jim

15. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Congrats! You did very well. How many bidders?

16. HOF Ferrari

HOF Ferrari Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Canton, Ohio
    Full Name:
    AFG
    in the end there were 2, both told me they came from the Pittsburgh area and came just for the DB9.

17. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Surfing around for discussions on current DB9 prices and arrived here.. Glad to see you got $58k for your DB9! ...

Does anyone have an opinion on their value-trend these days?

- I just received an unsolicited offer of $75k for mine. It's not for sale, so I was unprepared for the offer... my expectation was to own it for many more years and I've not been watching value trends at all... so the offer has me scratching my head.. It doesn't seem realistic with other comps out there for less money.
    - Am I right?
    - The comps I find are an '06 full manual 6-speed coupe in Hemmings with 15k miles for $65,500.. with the uncomfortable pre-07 seats. And an '08 Automatic for $64,950.
    - Mine has 42k pampered miles, a full manual 6-speed, customer ordered Heritage Chiltern Green exterior w/Chestnut interior.. New clutch, coil packs and AC blows ice cold, flawless condition.

I have not been watching trends on these at all...
    Thanks for any insights,
    - Art

Here is mine,
    Image Unavailable, Please Login IMG_5691 by Art Harvey, on Flickr

18. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I think you would be doing well at 65. These are continuing to go down even sticks. 42k is not really low miles for top dollars. Green is nice but still has less buyers out there than the silvers / grays.

So 75k seems great.

Very nice looking car.

Robb

71Satisfaction likes this.
  19. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Thanks for the objective comment Robb,
    Yes, I agree - even if my DB9 is near pristine and driven/maintained carefully, mileage and color does count.
    If this offer actually follows through, I'm not sure what I'll do.. I'm simply unprepared to part with it.
    - Art

20. XJRS Owner

XJRS Owner Karting

Aug 20, 2009
    Northern CT
    You want to know why you got an excellent unsolicited offer for a relatively high mileage car? Because it ISN'T gray or silve or black, which are a dime a dozen, plus it doesn't have a suicide black interior like 90% of the cars out there. A classic green color like Chiltern will always command a higher premium. There may be fewer buyers for a green car, but that's what they want and there are very, very few around. Green Astons are (relatively) a seller's market vs a gray/silver/black buyer's market.

21. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Got it. Thanks. Looking at my own case as an example, you are right on. I was specifically NOT looking for White/Silver/Black. Green manual with room for two kids was my checklist. I would have preferred a lighter tan interior, but it was the closest I came to meeting my criteria in some 6 months of looking. One or two Vantages came close, but no back seat.
    (However, I didn't pay a premium, it was wintertime and the seller was financially distressed with no other offers).
    Cheers,
    - Art

22. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    You should just keep it and enjoy it if you truly like it. And sticks are rare (even more rare with a drop top - like I have). They are a great drivers car - and less fussy than a Ferrari. Ask me how I know... ;-)

23. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I love Astons and the color combo you have is what I would be after PLUS a 6 speed for sure. I'm tired of seeing black, white, and silver. British racing green or something special like yours is what I would want. If you don't need the money, don't sell. You'll regret it.

24. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    It’s kinda funny. I just concluded a search for the right car for me. I was open to many colors, green included but primary choices were blue, dark gray, or yes - tungsten silver, just because I love that color. Yes the gray and silver may be a bit like Rosso Corsa for Ferrari... but there is a reason they sell. Buyers like the look. James Bond likes the look.... :D

It’s not like there are that many Aston’s out there period... so I don’t know that “dime a dozen” would apply to any Aston in any color. Maybe all the Porsche’s... or all the red Ferrari’s. But Aston just doesn’t have that many cars out there to look down on any of the colors. Owners might think about similar cars at concours shows or at an owners club meet, but the general public seeing these knows that is a first world issue and they all think these cars in any color are truly one of a kind.

So I digress, I said I was going to buy the best car I could find with complete history, maintenance, lower miles and condition.

Happened to find a 6k mike perfect example in meteorite silver. I was pretty excited because I love the color and think it looks amazing on the car’s lines. How do you pass up a cream puff you love for a different cream puff you may never find... That’s where the stars aligned for me. If I had found a better green car, I would have pulled the trigger on it. I’m not looking to flip this car as it’s a long timer for me. Can’t see many out there prettier, more comfortable, or fun to drive with great noise...

So definitely think about it if there isn’t a reason to sell. These cars are definitely timeless.

But if I know it’s harder to sell a green car. Even if it’s british. So if you are only keeping it a few years, you have to consider the resale value unless you are good to go with additional dollars spent per mile based on color.

Wish I could have afforded to buy a new one. Then I could spec an even more individual color combo inside and out.

Robb