Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Other Cars > British

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2017, 08:03 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Sigmund Freud, emotions, aesthetics, and supercars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
Just gotta say... as an old Amiga geek and electronic music fan, I love the fact that Commodore and John Cage have both been referenced in this thread. Computer brands and music genres, like cars, all have their passionate supporters and detractors. What I can't wrap my head around is how someone who doesn't like a certain type of car, music, or computer can't understand or accept the fact that other people might feel differently. Speak for yourself about McLaren not having "emotion," but don't claim that as if it were a fact that everyone agrees with. I certainly don't feel that way.
Just to add a perspective or two...

Freud has written about how the arts (or more directly beauty) can communicate directly with our subconsciousness, and therefore has the ability to bypass social, cultural, and other 'filters' in our minds. The arts (or beauty) also has the ability to generate a great deal of empathy - akin to reasons why we like certain things but not others. Of course, being Freud, he is also implying the human mating choices as well. When one devotes his/her emotion to something (someone) so strongly that all others become a 'threat' or 'challenge' to such a devotion, hence the necessary rejection. That's a major reason why modern music and fine art are often rejected with denouncement - as they are threats to popular, but often uneducated , definitions of beauty. The new 720s headlight design is a very good example which is to many is probably as 'ugly' as Picasso's "Old Woman", 1901.

Counterpoints: up until several years ago, the 'geeks' (engineers, mechanics, etc., including the venerable Mr. Ferrari himself) believed that in order to make the most beautiful cars, not just the best mechanical version of them (as in the case of Porsche, e.g.), they had to call on the beauticians, i.e,. Pininferina for design. The rest of course is history. So, all the geeks in Ferrari understand beauty, and the emotions that it can conjure or invoke, and had the innate wisdom that such task was beyond their expertise. This is the kind of educated open-mindedness that make Ferrari the most recognizable automotive brand in the world.

Underneath the skin-deep beauty, a Ferrari, McLaren, or lamborghini, etc., is after all just a pile of well organized geeky contraptions of metal, pipes, bolts, and leather. Some of course admire the Robinsonian (as in Heath Robinson, a British sculptor) heap of mechanical wonders while others never need to look beyond their sensual skin with equal wide-eye admiration. After all, it's the engine geeks in Ferrari that are responsible for the 488's engine of the year award, while Centro Stile is busy cutting holes into the original 458 body.

Supercars are mechanical art. Freud seems to be right, again!
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 07-14-2017, 09:01 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Another neat feature is the stalk on the left side of the column.
When you hit it , it brings up the front end for steep driveways.
Just well thought out.
GTJOEY1314
Old 07-15-2017, 12:00 AM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Angus Podgorney
McLaren 720s up close in person

Actually all 4 corners come up. Not as fast as my GT3RS but quicker than my Huracan. 650 675 a bit slower than 720, part of air improvements.

Expedited air should get mine here in next couple weeks. Logistics isn't McLaren NA strong suit, and their PR dept shenanigans screwed with my delivery. 40 years buying this stuff, not hard to have friends in Woking. Fun to watch squeeze on morons.

Vid isn't Saros. Saros on right.
Other thread has lots of info, prob worth read.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...609488c447.jpg

"There's not enough alcohol or therapy in the world to undo that"- Sterling Archer
"Entitled is the new black"- Jana

Last edited by Sfumato; 07-15-2017 at 12:13 AM.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:01 AM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Joe A
Test drove it on Wednesday. It makes my 12C feel slow. Only criticisms are that the A/C seemed a little weak and there is no safety lock on the hood(bonnet).

Joe
Old 07-15-2017, 12:24 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Joey, Your in when the spider comes out......
On the A/C you had to hit the button and adjust max on the screen, Simon didn't know where it was.
I was in 100 degrees with 100 percent humidity in my suit and it was fine.
As for the trunk lock, you don't wack guys in this car, that's why they still make cadillacs
Ha....
Old 07-15-2017, 04:06 PM
F1 Rookie
Not Subscribed

Safety lock on the hood?
Old 07-15-2017, 04:11 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

If you unlock the hood there is no second lock to keep it from opening. I thought it was a requirement.

Joe
Old 07-15-2017, 05:53 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOEA2 View Post
If you unlock the hood there is no second lock to keep it from opening. I thought it was a requirement.

Joe
I couldn't sleep all night on that one too
But then realized I'm under 100 years old and threw caution into the wind
Gtjoey720s living in danger
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 07-15-2017, 07:50 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Not much under one hundred.

Joe
Old 07-15-2017, 08:46 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Jon
Saw the car today, lava red (or whatever Mclaren calls it). It's so striking in person. The details really stand out. Driving position is excellent. I love the tech. The eye socket headlights really work a lot better in person. 0-124 in 7.8 seconds, amazing.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:50 PM
Rookie
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Eric
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfumato View Post
Other thread has lots of info, prob worth read.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...609488c447.jpg
You're correct - after looking at the grey paint options (Storm Grey, Argon, Saros, Zenith Black, Ceramic Grey, Sarthe Grey), I believe this car is actually Argon, which has a slightly brownish hue. Saros and Sarthe have bluish/greenish hues. Ceramic, Storm, Zenith look to be more neutral, progressively dark greys.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:43 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Sanjay
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtjoey View Post
Another neat feature is the stalk on the left side of the column.
When you hit it , it brings up the front end for steep driveways.
Just well thought out.
GTJOEY1314
Stalk is actually on the right of the column, on the cruise control switch. Sfumato is correct....whole car lifts.

Front only lift has become de rigueur on high end sports cars for over a decade.

I'm at 600 miles now...car is as great as I expected, maybe better.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:13 PM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Scott
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Sta7 View Post
The eye socket headlights really work a lot better in person. 0-124 in 7.8 seconds, amazing.
If you hit the brakes hard at 100 m.p.h. do the headlights pop out?
Old 07-16-2017, 04:57 PM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Angus Podgorney
McLaren 720s up close in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by teak360 View Post
If you hit the brakes hard at 100 m.p.h. do the headlights pop out?

Hey dude. Who brakes at 100?
160 leaves retinas dripping off Ray Bans. Air brakes work

Sanjay: glad to hear car fun. I was coming up but got admitted. Hgb 6.7 inadequate for proper G loads. Better get mine soon. Color looks good. You were kind on front straight if that was you in the vid I got. I'm a bit less kind other than bedding in brakes.

Proud of the 600mi. Now I have someone to catch. Enjoy in health bro.

L

"There's not enough alcohol or therapy in the world to undo that"- Sterling Archer
Old 07-16-2017, 08:56 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfumato View Post
Hey dude. Who brakes at 100?
160 leaves retinas dripping off Ray Bans. Air brakes work

Sanjay: glad to hear car fun. I was coming up but got admitted. Hgb 6.7 inadequate for proper G loads. Better get mine soon. Color looks good. You were kind on front straight if that was you in the vid I got. I'm a bit less kind other than bedding in brakes.

Proud of the 600mi. Now I have someone to catch. Enjoy in health bro.

L

Get well soon my friend. What vid did you get? I ate some fast cars alive on the track straight easily. Starting to believe the 146 mph trap that TG published....
Old 07-16-2017, 10:36 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

I tried to pull the same numbers out of the old 2006 Ford GT or come close but nothing beats modern technology.
Where the gt on bridgestones got squirrelly from 60 to 100 if you punched it real hard, the new McLaren did it like it was on rails!
Great car cant wait........
gtjoey720s
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 07-17-2017, 07:33 AM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Quote:
I tried to pull the same numbers out of the old 2006 Ford GT or come close but nothing beats modern technology.
Where the gt on bridgestones got squirrelly from 60 to 100 if you punched it real hard, the new McLaren did it like it was on rails!
Great car cant wait........
gtjoey720s
Funny, my FGT even with twin turbos and 1000 hp hooks fine on Bridgestones from a 60 punch. But you're comparing analog to digital. Plenty of folks out there that prefer vinyl over MP3s.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:04 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Agreed, I was on bologna skins as I drove the GT FROM Daytona to the Indy 500
I haven't been this excited about a new car in awhile, should be great!
GTJOEY1314/720S
Old 07-17-2017, 11:43 AM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Joey, Your in when the spider comes out......
On the A/C you had to hit the button and adjust max on the screen, Simon didn't know where it was.
I was in 100 degrees with 100 percent humidity in my suit and it was fine.
As for the trunk lock, you don't wack guys in this car, that's why they still make cadillacs
Ha....
Do we have comps of the trunk "body per square inch" measurement ratio? The cadis should do better on that stat.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:47 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Agreed, I was on bologna skins as I drove the GT FROM Daytona to the Indy 500
I haven't been this excited about a new car in awhile, should be great!
GTJOEY1314/720S
You're not getting a New FGT?