How many 720 S | FerrariChat

How many 720 S

Discussion in 'British' started by MME, Aug 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MME

MME Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Marty
    Anyone know how many Mac 720S will be produced per year? Are they expecting to somewhat limit production like Ferrari? Seems like new cars can only be ordered and wait times are about a year.

2. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    #2 gtjoey, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    My guess is < 500. Maybe much less. Not because of demand but mac is just a small boutique company. Which is a good thing atm IMO.

4. ekovalsky

ekovalsky Karting

Jun 17, 2017
    Arizona & Montana
    Full Name:
    Eric
    This says 1,200 cars for MY2018 then 1,500 cars per year thereafter.

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/04/11/mclaren-720s-first-production-car/

I've been told next fall for a deposit placed now on a configurable build, or sooner if I help them out by taking a 570 off their hands now. There seem to be some demo Launch Edition cars arriving later this year that are still available.

5. MME

MME Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Marty
    Anyone know how many 650's were built. When I first took interest in Mac and the 650, you could find lots of new inventory at dealers. Seems like they're trying to limit supply this time to hold values, but maybe not. I too was offered an accelerated 720 delivery if I bought 570 now. Looks like they're taking after the Ferrari playbook.

6. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    #6 gtjoey, Aug 8, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Guys your getting a sales pitch
    I walked into my dealer never owning a mac , gave a deposit and my car has a nov build date.
    My friend from
    Texas walked in his dealer never owned a mac and has the same build week!
    My third friend put down thirty grand for the spider in 18 months
    There are tons of old macs on the floor
    Believe me
    It's the same with every other car maker
    Gtjoey trying to sleep
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. ekovalsky

ekovalsky Karting

Jun 17, 2017
    Arizona & Montana
    Full Name:
    Eric
    A little digging shows that McLaren produced 1,649 and 1,654 cars worldwide in 2014 and 2015, respectively. Other than whatever P1 might have been included, those numbers reflect 650S production.

Production increased to 3,286 cars in 2016 with the introduction of the 570; of those 1,255 were 650S or (limited production) 675LT.

So 720S is indeed lower production than 650S, but McLaren now has to compete with themselves, in addition to Ferrari and Lamborghini. With plenty of new dealer inventory as well as pre-owned available, there are big discounts on the 570, which ends up being about half the price of a new 720S.

I think the 720S is incredible and I want one. I was close to putting a deposit on an allocation and still might, but am starting to come to my senses and wait it out and get one once supply balances demand, meaning there is unsold inventory at dealers or heavily spec'd Launch Editions start getting flipped when lower MSRP configurable cars start showing up.

8. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Smart man! :) Listen to GT Joey. Plenty are available and you dont need to jump through hoops. Its a fantastic car but it will not be a car thats difficult to acquire in a few months. There will be plenty available.

9. ekovalsky

ekovalsky Karting

Jun 17, 2017
    Arizona & Montana
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Yes I am seeing the light :)

10. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    I have the feeling that there are too many new 570 on the lot and are trying to unload them via the 720. That the feedback i had going the sale ordeal with my friend. Some guys did not even want the 570 400 miles unless given for a song and dance.

11. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I think some 720S will be available but I wouldn't count on "plenty" of them being available or that you'd be able to buy one without a premium over MSRP. The main reason there will be some available is because the some of the McLaren customers who got the launch editions will sell those when their own custom-built cars start to arrive or are imminent. I doubt you'll see any discounts on those cars - on the contrary, they're likely to sell over list price. I sold my 720LT Coupe at over MSRP when my MSO HS was about to arrive.

The kind of customer who got offered a launch edition is likely someone who has bought several McLarens before, have spent some money for MSO customizations, and will happily build one at an even higher price to make it the car they want it to be. Obviously that won't be the case in every situation because a lot of those owners are also patient enough to order the car exactly the way they want it and take delivery later. After driving a 720S prototype for four days back in March however there was no way I was going to be able to wait the extra few months for a custom car. The 720S is just amazing and I'm a huge McLaren fan.

I've got a launch edition coming this month and I have a build slot for a custom one if I want it. I figured I'd wait to see the car and decide if I want to keep it or not. The more I look at the pictures of the car however the more likely I'll just keep it until the 720S Spider is available because I'm starting to fall in love with it (Performance edition with Memphis Red with red and black alcantara and leather interior). The only thing it lacks is the glass roof, and one or two additional carbon trim pieces I'd likely add. But I live in a warm climate and when I drove the prototype (which did have the glass roof) I was 50/50 on whether I wanted the glass roof or not. I figured I'd make the call after a week or two with the launch edition.

My recommendation is that if someone wants a 720S just go ahead and order one. Get the color and options you want and enjoy the heck out of it for years to come.

12. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Mark,

Ive never bought a Mclaren and was offered a launch edition. I love your enthusiasm for Mclaren and as Ive stated the 720 is a great car. But there will be plenty available and there is zero reason to pay a premium over sticker.

Anyone that wants one can get one pretty easily. Come fall, the showrooms will be littered with them.

13. ekovalsky

ekovalsky Karting

Jun 17, 2017
    Arizona & Montana
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Well showrooms won't be littered with them anytime soon, nor do I think any discounts will be offered for a year or more, but I do think some cars will be available by end of the year at MSRP. I was sort of offered the 3rd demo car to arrive, for delivery in October, and it is a nice spec but a bit too drab with Saros exterior and Shale Grey interior... both great colors themselves, but not exciting enough together.

There is one listed for sale on the major search engines now (Denver, CO), no idea if it is really available or not.

14. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    As MarkNC stated above, the initial launch customers were the better customers of the dealer. Many had the idea that they'd take a launch edition and then spec their own and sell the launch edition at a later date. (also my plan).

However, the line for 720s allocation has gotten quite long so it's not feasible (I'm pretty happy with my color and didn't want to get the 35th allocation for my own spec or try to bully my way up in line and make someone else wait longer.

The dealers never intended to sell any of their demo/floor launch editions. One was supposed to be a demo and one was supposed to sit on the floor. However, because of the delays (third customer 720s at my dealer won't be delivered until September), they decided to sell the demo/floor models because they don't really have anything to sell other than 570's.

I only know two 720s launch editions that have been sold which were demo models (basically, new customer wants a 720s but doesn't want to wait and is willing to pay above MSRP). One was $25K over and second one was $50K over.

I don't think you are going to find many on the secondary market for a while since most of the people with launch edition models are not going to swap it out for their own spec anymore.

15. ekovalsky

ekovalsky Karting

Jun 17, 2017
    Arizona & Montana
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The demo at the local dealer here had a $50k market adjustment added to the sticker, apparently it is sold just awaiting the next incoming 720S to be released.

16. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I'll dispense with your form of passive-aggressive insult ("I love your enthusiasm... but") and just say: you're wrong and handing out this sort of advice is doing a disservice to the people you're advising.

The showrooms won't be "littered with them" anytime this year. Dealers' order books are over a year deep now. Any used cars that show up back in showrooms this year (all the new ones are long spoken for) as used cars will likely command a pretty decent premiums because of that.

The reason there were launch cars available is that some of the combinations McLaren chose to make weren't that exciting and most McLaren buyers chose to order their cars to their spec rather than take one of the 400 that were on route. I feel comfortable saying "most McLaren buyers" right now (it drives me nuts when people presume to know what "most" buyers of any brand do based on anecdotal data) but it a fact that number of orders for custom cars massively exceeds the first 400 built as launch editions.

So you advising people, who really want one, to just wait it out is pretty mean-spirited advice and goes against all the evidence of what's actually happening with the car.

And while I'm at it because I've noticed one other person here brought my objectivity into question: I don't allow my ENTHUSIASM for McLaren (I also have enthusiasm for Ferrari, Mercedes, Porsche and other brands/models of cars) to override my desire to post only what is true and accurate to my actual knowledge. I dare you to find one post where what I said was either purely hyperbolic or inaccurate. If you find one I'm almost certain there would have been a follow-up post where I either correct my mistake or apologize for any inaccuracies.

17. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Good grief- I was not insulting you. It was a compliment. You have been very fair in your assessment of Mclaren on the boards.

Look- I dont have a horse in this race nor am I advising anyone on what they should do with their money. If they want to get a 720s- more power to them. If they want to get something else so be it. Im quite certain people capable of spending 300k+ on a car can make an informed decision without my input.

So stop getting your panties in a bunch and address what GTjoey wrote- walked in cold and got a november build date.

Ive said it before, ill say it again. the 720 is a fantastic car but just as showrooms are littered with Aventadors, 488's and any other exotic, so will mclaren showrooms be littered with their version of a REGULAR PRODUCTION CAR. There is nothing limited or unique about the 720 in the sense its not like a P1 or La Ferrari or anything like that. Its a REGULAR PRODUCTION CAR and in a few months, plenty will be available whether its discarded launch edition cars or people that have dropped out of their allocation slot or people trying to flip.

Im a fan of Mclaren and like what they are doing so chill.

18. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    Joey exaggerates! He has a history with the Dealer. He didn't just walk off the Street.

Joe

19. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Joey, I did, I never dealt with Brian before who heads up that side.
    My buddy Steve in Texas didn't even know where the dealer was, we are both FORD GT owners.
    He drove the demo and signed up.
    We both have November dates.......
    There is a massive auto new sales decline that is only getting worse.
    Inventory is through the roof, no matter what the make or brand.
    In this case Its hitting OUR age group at the right price point
    Im not losing sleep either way of value or future collector status, WE are now the age of ....F IT, HOW MUCH LONGER CAN I BE LIVING!
    You get the point.
    GTJOEY1314

20. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    It depends on the dealer. Many new mclaren dealers that don't have an established client base yet. Mclaren is becoming very similar to Ferrari in protecting dealer territorial rights. There is a long line at my particular dealer. Some waiting in line could go to a newer dealer with less of a line but mclaren and dealers are protecting their territories.

Sometimes things fall through the cracks too. As an example; Chiron is supposed to be sold out. My dealer calls me and tells me that I can get one with an early 2018 build slot (customer cancelled and I do know that customer). The dealers were instructed that if a customer cancels out then they are not supposed to offer that slot to a new person but rather move up everyone else who does have a slot. Sometimes it works that way and sometimes it doesn't.

Manufactures are pumping out cars for sure (plenty of people have been offered 488's that didn't have customers associated with it). Ferrari dealers are just better in not letting that information get out. (I was offered an unclaimed one many, many months ago). One of my friends who was looking for one asked me if I knew of a brand new 488. I told him to call the dealer but doubt they would even tell him that there is one for sale (I told him not to quote me). Sure enough, he calls them and they tell him that they don't have any new ones for sale.

21. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Amen brother. In the last 3 years Ive had a sarcoma removed from the back, surgery to correct a pituitary issue, 2 broken clavicles and now Im in a boot as I recover from surgery to repair a torn achilles tendon.

Live life and have fun! Whether its a 720 or anything else that floats your boat, tomorrow may not come.

22. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    And your only 35 what till you hit 50 !
    :)
    Gtjoey prostate king!

23. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    More like 46 but I feel like 86 right now!
    :)

24. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Yep at least we are breathing
    I won the lottery!
    I have my mother in law, sister and cousin, guess what happened to all their husbands&#55357;&#56883;