How good is the McLaren 720S? Full Road Test Review | FerrariChat

How good is the McLaren 720S? Full Road Test Review

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by F40-R, Aug 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F40-R

F40-R Formula 3

Jun 22, 2014
    #1 F40-R, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Neat to see in right hand drive as well, he seems to be a tall guy and still has plenty of room.
    It truly made everything else very old
    After my trip in the 2004 vanquish I felt like I was driving my 1954 mercury
    Great car but they just got old
    Gtjoey1314

3. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    He seemed to really enjoy it. As I'm sure 99.9% of people will. It may honestly to be too quick where does Mclaren go on the 750 LT or whatever it's called?

4. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Too quick is really inadequate talent. Quite easy to drive, but up at 10/10 it asks for effort. Easier than 650 or 675, but talent >>credit up there. I laugh a lot driving this thing.

"There's not enough alcohol or therapy in the world to undo that"- Sterling Archer
    "Entitled is the new black"- Jana

5. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    On track, yes. On the street, your talent means little if some idiot pulls out in front of you.

6. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    What a great car. As far as driving goes, I would rather have one of these than a McLaren F1

7. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    It's all about the technology
    They nailed this car
    How much further can the auto go?
    Instant hp, instant speed and stopping
    The lt will be over 800 with another coming at 1,0000
    It's over the top
    The new Vettewill be very close in numbers but a third the price and hopefully some style
    Now the new 488 has to catch up and they will but all of the designs are inside the box
    The 720 is way out side
    Imho
    Gtjoey

8. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Talent and equipment. 720 does dead stop from 124 in 118 M iirc. With that and same attention as at track, not driving like idiot in town, it is stoppable. I had the demo for a few days, twice pinheads pulled out in front. It stopped. Now. Car is fast enough you need track level attention. Should do so anyway.

"There's not enough alcohol or therapy in the world to undo that"- Sterling Archer
    "Entitled is the new black"- Jana

9. Speedraser

Speedraser Rookie

Jul 27, 2012
    Long Island
    At 124 mph you're doing more than 180 feet (60m) per second. Reaction time plus stopping distance means that, while you may have been talented when people pulled out, you were LUCKY that they didn't pull out closer to you.

10. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
  11. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Sfumato please post when you start driving!
    Thanks
    Gtjoey1314

12. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Great review! I've driven 720s quite a lot and couldn't agree more. It really is a game changer.

A minor point but those metal speaker grills can get a bit tarnished over time, not a fan of those.

Can't wait for the LT version!

13. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I'm thinking the LT version will be my first Mclaren. 2019?

14. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Sounds about right. that will probably be the first hard to get Mac. There are already 500 of us gunning for it ;)

15. F40-R

F40-R Formula 3

Jun 22, 2014
  16. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  17. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    Is it guaranteed that there will be a LT version of this car?

18. F40-R

F40-R Formula 3

Jun 22, 2014
    I'd suggest getting the 720S and worry about the LT when that gets released.

The transition from a 650S to 675LT was huge, so I wouldn't doubt that the same will repeat itself.

It's not worth missing out on the current car, at least you'll get first preference for the LT version being a current owner.

19. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    What does LT mean?

I assume S means Sport?

In order from slowest to fastest how do the McLaren letters go/work please? I've looked at their site and doesn't really help ... or are they just making it up as they go along?
    Pete

20. F40-R

F40-R Formula 3

Jun 22, 2014
    LT = Longtail

Based on the original McLaren F1 Longtail

They started with the S model being the standard car with the 650 series.

Now it has expanded into the 5xx series so you have in order from the entry car to the top spec car.

540C
    570GT
    570S

650S
    675LT

Quite straightforward after a while.

21. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    I can not imagine the "LT" line being continued. As you sad, LT stands for "Long Tail". Yes, the 675LT has an approx 10cm longer tail as a 650S. But a 720S with a longer tail? I doubt this. IMO McLaren has entered a dead end with this naming.

On the other hand, as I heard the P15 will be an extreme track oriented car. From the 720S McLaren has already yet two equipment packages, a "Luxury" and a "Performance" package. I wonder how McLaren wants to position all these cars.

Therefore my question, is it confirmed by McLaren to bring a P14 7xx LT?

22. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Huff post is biggest joke going

23. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    There will be a lightweight more sporty edition of the 720 but it's not known if it will be called an LT, or if it will in fact have a longer tail. I think folks are just referring to 720LT as that lightweight car.

24. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Thanks.
    Pete

25. ekovalsky

ekovalsky Karting

Jun 17, 2017
    Arizona & Montana
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The 720S combines many features from McLaren's typical GT, S, and LT variants in a single vehicle, so it will be interesting to see they evolve this platform with the expected LT and Spider models.

Compared to the 675LT, the 720S already has similarly low weight, a 'long tail' design with LT-style exhaust, significantly more power with the stroked V8 and new twin-scroll turbos which eliminate lag. I wonder how much more power can be added via software without jeopardizing longevity of the dual clutch box. The design should accommodate a roof snorkel, a very expensive MSO option on the 675LT coupe - that would enhance interior sound and would definitely set an LT variant apart from the regular production 720S.

One of the best new features of the 720S is the P1-derived Monocage II with glass top doors that extend far into the roof and a much lower lip that greatly facilitates entry/exit compared to the previous models using a carbon fiber tub. I'm not sure how McLaren can offer a Spider version without reverting back to the tub design, but I guess we will find out in a year or so. In the case of the 720S, release of the Spider may not result in immediate obsolescence of the coupe, which was/is largely the case for the 12C, 650S, and 570S for which there are no downsides to the Spider other than some added weight. Here in Arizona, my preference is for the glass roof panels on the coupe, as I hate all the desert dust that gets everywhere inside a topless car, and most of the year it is too hot or too cold to drive with the top down. Plus my wife hates wind messing up her hair!