720 S SOLD OUT FOR 2017/2018 | FerrariChat

720 S SOLD OUT FOR 2017/2018

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by gtjoey, Aug 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    My dealer says they are done!
    less than 1,900 cars?
    Anyone else here this?
    Then comes the LT and Spider, if you think about it, its a good plan without building too much of each model.
    Cannot wait....
    GTJOEY1314

2. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Yes, about 2 mos ago. US and CAN has 22 dealers iirc, 19 and 3.
    Prob 350-400 for us maybe more depending on when deliveries get actually rolling. McLaren has junk logistics. They can’t track shoelaces alone a car.
    It’ll be GT3 version for track first. The cage is poor idea for roadster, and that would make this car worse not better. I’m sure the Mac rabids here have raised hands for LT, I have.
    No way could any serious driver get in and not buy it. No. Way.

"There's not enough alcohol or therapy in the world to undo that"- Sterling Archer
    "Entitled is the new black"- Jana

jmaienza likes this.
  3. mkultra

mkultra Formula 3

Nov 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    MK Ultra
    Perhaps this limited run and demand will help the 720 hold its value in comparison to the other Mac's.

4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    So after 2018, they wont make them anymore? Just the Spider and LT?

5. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Andrew, how are ya man?
    I suspect that’s first year production and it’s ramping slowly.
    As far as value retention, it’ll be fine for awhile. Spider is a ways off, LT equivalent too. Doubt 488 replacement as brutal as this.
    Cage does not convert easily, unless you make it a tub. That’s why 650/675 were mostly spiders. Chop and done.

"There's not enough alcohol or therapy in the world to undo that"- Sterling Archer

6. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I suspect they won't sell LT versions to folks who don't own a regular series 720S (coupe or spider) at the time they start taking orders for the LT. Demand is going to be through the roof for 7xx LT and they'll be far harder to get than 675LT because the brand has grown so much.

I suspect they'll do 500 coupes and 500 spiders like they did with the 675LT but that won't be nearly enough to go around as McLaren is growing very quickly as a brand and the base car (720S) is a far better car, that's selling faster and getting better reviews, than the base car(s) for the 675LT (12C/650S) ever did.

With the successful 570S (and now 570S Spider) selling very well, and the P15, BP23, and 5XX LT that all will sell out before LT variant of the 720 comes to market, there's far less pressure for McLaren to over-produce the 720S (like there was with 12C/650S) and far more reason to be more selective about who gets the LT models than there was in the prior generation. McLaren is going from strength to strength. So if I were you I'd start talking to my McLaren dealer now about a 720S coupe or perhaps a 570S Spider.

Likewise don't think you're just going to be able to walk in and order an early 720S Spider. They'll likely reward loyal coupe buyers with the first allocations of those as well much like Ferrari did with the 458 Spider. I had to buy a used FF to even get barely within the first year of delivery of an ordered car at MSRP even though I had a 458 coupe to trade (which they insisted on getting on trade, paid me very well for and resold within a few weeks) when the Spider arrived - all bought from the same dealer!

AC318 likes this.
  7. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    MarkNC, I think your right and I think by selling out this first run and maybe making the LT next they keep the numbers low and the value high, instead of the usual tanking syndrome when 6,000 of each model are built.
    I don't know the real numbers but you get what I mean.
    In my case I want to just enjoy the car.
    This might be a first where the car actually is so good, that it might go up!
    Its the real deal.
    GTJOEY1314

8. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Agree Mark. Hopefully Ferrari greed won’t be such a bs. I wouldn’t buy an FF/Lusso. Ever.
    On upside, Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Trying to beat Harvey. Worlds crappiest customs broker. 12 days.

Attached Files:

9. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Nice.

Is the car in Houston?

Attached Files:

10. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Oooh I love stealth wheels :D

11. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Lol.
    Yes. Car is in HOU at dealer. Visit it if time. Harvey going to screw up delivery. Waited this long, so ok. Need it before transplant eval end of September. Going to SEMA for Xpel too. Gotta bed brakes too. That’ll be self restraint.

12. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Invest in a good radar unit you're gonna need it ;)

13. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Hardwire done during pdi. V1 keyed hot with YAV1 bluetooth and dedicated phone. Used for a few years can close out bands, and upgrade sweep frequency and band selection.
    Another brand out in limited production has gps for redlight cams that needs less tuning. Small detector sized scanner helps too.

14. tobewiser

tobewiser Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2015
    Acworth, GA, USA
    It may just be that particular dealer. My local dealer in Atlanta, Georgia still takes 720s orders with a 7-9 month delivery schedule. In the meantime, it is getting brand new, nicely spec'ed dealer allocations from time to time. It just had a white 720s unsold delivery last week and it was sold within hours. Personally, I am waiting to see what the 720s spider will be like and by that time used coupes will begin to appear. Due to the rigid new roof, the spider will present an engineering challenge as such that the solution will have to be spectacular. Coupes with the glass roof options are also magnificent.

15. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Update? Best of luck end of Sept., too.

16. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Ill give you an update...Another delivery came to my dealer a steele blue grey color.
    Again, this car in any color in person , make EVERYTHING in the past old.
    All my cars old, I see the new 812 Ferrari and it looks neat, but not cutting edge. The new gt2 same old Porsche, all great machines, but I just walk around this car forever and pick up the smallest details.
    I just cant wait till November.
    GTJOEY1314

17. ekovalsky

ekovalsky Karting

Jun 17, 2017
    Arizona & Montana
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Saros I assume ? That's my #2 color choice after Glacier White.

I'm looking for a Lux model in Glacier White with AZ Tan or Grey/Black interior, or Saros with sandstone interior.

Dealer told me I'd be looking at delivery next fall for an allocation, unless I bought a 570 in the meantime. I thought putting up a deposit for a McLaren to be purchased in over a year at MSRP was foolish. And I want a 720, not a 570. So I didn't put up a deposit. There seem to be a few cars periodically available, and there are many Launch Cars were bought for temporary use until a configured 720 is ready, so they will be flipped before too long.

18. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    That sandstone, is SOOOOO rich looking.
    Ive seen 6 now all are neat and hit the button for boy racer to older gentlemen.
    GTJOEY1314

19. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    You seem to have never dealt with Ferrari sales model: sell kalifornia to get good 8, or godawful FFyourself to get good 12 or +500k to get LaF allocation.
    570 so much better than any of that, on trade wont get huge hickey. Or deposit of 25k?? A year on opm may cost oooh $800?

Want /= get in the market now, despite being a Ferrari buyer of 19 cars, but no twitter followers or whatever.
    My suggestion, discuss deposit, and if you really want one and can afford it put deposit down. Mine went down 3 yrs ago. My LaF deposit went down in 03-04. Dealership sold to Vega, puta wanted 500k in a bag and FNA knows it. 19 Ferrari’s 10 since 00. Cal swb, alloy swb, so?

McLaren offered 2 slots to some including me. I got a Launch and 7 based LT. I want the car, not burlap guts and bullhide dingle balls on mirror.

I’m a car whore, but I don’t suck up to anyone to get something I want. My cars don’t sit in visible spots to prove schvantz length. I drive them as hard as possible. You won’t get many shots at a 720. And the Sweater can’t force them to make a dentists SL or a Sport Ute, or a FFyourself. That really adds to the brand
    Pay or play. If you think these will depreciate in a year compared to 488, 488 Speciale et al, or a Huracan Performante, GT3 RS you’d be delusional. If anyone can dump 500# and push 700 at wheels, let me know. I’ve had everything out there and nfw.

Sry if I abbreviate a lot. Gouging will come. You can sit and wait, or get what you want. I’ll be dead sooner than most, so I don’t eff around. Life is too short. September will tell.

Thx Teak. 720 survived Harvey on a lift for 4d, store did ok, hoping a couple days. Many people stuck in homes or mandatory evacuations. Waited this long. People >> stuff>> azzhats.

20. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Joey, remember the light dash/deck has horrific glare driving. Ferrari rarely did light dashes until they made enough $ they didn’t care. Fux’s heinous white interior would be useless on a track with or without him. Tint helps some but glare coming from within. Xpel a must.

21. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Guys I have to say I drove a 720S recently in Virginia and it's the greatest and fastest car I've ever driven. Very happy for all those getting one. GT Joey I expect to borrow yours ;)....

22. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Did you drive one at the dealership in Sterling? Woking says each dealership has to have a demo available, but all of McSterling's cars have been sold so I've been told no one can drive one. Dropped my 12C there earlier this week for the annual service and the service manager said he'll try to get me behind the wheel when I go back to pick up my car. Can't wait.... will probably drop a deposit for the 720 Spider soon.

23. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    A customers car. I did contact the dealership for a test drive but no such luck. I met the owner at sterling Mclaren though and departed from there.

24. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Mine left Houston headed to me 1030. Took awhile as roads still part flooded. Bout time dealer arrived at house, 1545 ish, he got call from transporter. Fan clutch on super duty took a dump 40mi on complete opposite corner of city. Left house driving dealers car 1637. Friday of 4 day holiday. 2 hrs to drive 40mi in lovely traffic.
    Moved transport to unload. Car was ok, just no Xpel, getting full for Sema this week. Traffic home was worse, did ok on roads, no nicks etc. Careful about unbedded brakes(y’all do that, right?)
    Got back to house about 2050 in dark, starving. Car is hysterically fun. But 391 has fought me and my dealer for 4 months. On everything. It’s going to be broken, tamed soon if it’s last thing I do. I finally let my guard drop when I knew it was coming and I’d sent etf.
    At final second it tried again.
    I still love it, but nice dinner, cocktails and cigars finished the day. Lol.
    I’m happy, spit big flames and got 3-4gear wheelspin and wiggle. My new haunted car. I. Will. Win. Image Unavailable, Please Login better pics soon.

25. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    Glad to hear you finally got it! Its twin has been sitting in my garage for over a week thanks to Harvey.

Did you get the optional Korean only owner's manual like I did? :)