Does everyone love the Veyron? | FerrariChat

Does everyone love the Veyron?

Discussion in 'Bugatti' started by 458beast, Feb 10, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 458beast

458beast Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2011
    rainy
    Full Name:
    Will
    I'm not really into the Bugatti Veyron, Just don't like the looks of the thing, however, the performence is undeniable.

If this car was around 150K-200K GBP... like a Lambo and Ferrari and had similar performence, I don't think people would think twice about buying a Ferrari or Lambo, to me the Veyron is a very ugly car, and for the price it's at, Id probably choose the Pagani.

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I saw one on the street the other day. Honestly, it looks so much better in person than in photos.

To me, it's a marvelous creation and expression of automobile ingenuity and technology. So, I do love it.

3. 458beast

458beast Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2011
    rainy
    Full Name:
    Will
    Wow that's so strange, I think it's much nicer in photos! (taken from my flickr I'm currently building up)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76255002@N04/6850707483/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76255002@N04/6850706863/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76255002@N04/6850706175/

Although I have to say the black/blue is the best combo, not too fond of Birdmans all red lol.

4. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The thing I like most about it is that is has class, unlike the vast majority of supercars these days. The interior is a nice place to be and is very comfortable. You simply can't compare performance, it's just not fair to any other car on the road.........or plane. :D

5. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Not a fan (although I admire it as a technological achievement).

It's useless on normal roads, vulgar and not all that attractive. Possibly the biggest "automotive gold chain" ever conceived.

If money were not in the equation, I'd rather have an Aston DBS or Ferrari F40.

If money WERE in the equation, I'd sell it and buy something timeless and significant like a Daytona Spyder or Porsche 550 Spyder.

6. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It's more than usable on normal roads, just not to it's full potential, what car is?

7. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Not a fan. Heavy. Awkward. Face like a Lamprey. Just fast, expensive and exclusive.

8. Scuderia_Ferrari

Scuderia_Ferrari Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    This.

9. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Don't like it. Fast beetle. Expensive too. Interesting transmission technology, but that's about it.

10. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Really? I have seen quite a few. And they don't seem any different than the pictures and video.

11. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I didnt like them until i saw a pic of a blue SS. That was very nice.

12. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    It's a 260 mph car, engineered specifically to attain those speeds, cost no object. No one builds a car with 10 radiators and the world's most complicated suspension, for example, to cruise at 70 mph or parallel park downtown. The price tag alone makes it a garage trinket.

Although lower down the VW product line, a GTI is ideally suited to normal roads. You will get most of the value/potential out of the car in the real world.

13. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    It appears to be a lot more "squat" and aggressive to me. Also, that grill seems to stand out of the crowd.

I was impressed. I've seen quite a few on display but seeing one going down the road surrounded by ordinary cars made me realize how special it is.

Is it my favorite car design of all time? No. But it does have a look and presence, even if Audi tried unsuccessfully to copy it with the R8.

14. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    ageed it is easy to be an arm chair critic .....it does look great in person ....i would imagine that if i owned one (or even got to drive one) i'd likely be come it's biggest fan LOL :)

15. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    As others have said, it's MUCH nicer in person than in photos. But it still looks like
    an overpriced Audi to me, either way. I cannot imagine paying the price to own one.

Jedi

16. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I'd have to be Scrooge McDuck rich and Arthur drunk to buy one.

17. platinumsc

platinumsc Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2004
    I didn't think they look that good either....but after seeing it in person I changed. It has tremendous presence. Even sitting still it feels powerful. While not the sexiest the design just exudes power.
    I was hoping there would have been a refresh by now....slimmer waistline and maybe improve the grill.
    Even without change it's quite something to behold.

It is a lot of bling though. It's fast but too beautiful for the track. You will never use all its power. It is like buying a 2 million dollar piece of jewelry. To the people that have that kind of money, that's great. But its not a car for enthusiasts. Its an ornament. Just like my jewelry so I can't hate on it.

18. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    That's not strictly true. It built to attain those speeds and still be a stable, comfortable car. Anyone can throw 2000hp onto a chassis and make a 250mph car, but doing it while keeping the car completely stable, with a/c on and a full leather interior is another story.

Honestly it's more comfortable than a 458 and I would daily drive one in a heartbeat if I had the money not to care about maintenance costs.

19. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Design is unappealing, performance is superb without question. But a $1 mil + car should have cosmetic appeal all around. Isn't that why we buy Ferrari? :)
    I'd rather have an Aston one 77

20. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Interesting, I hadn't thought of the R8 as a copy, though now that you mention it I can see they share some design cues.

I actually think the Audi R8 coupe looks better (less bloated), although neither one would make my top 100 list of car designs.

Not arguing, the Veyron is an incredible achievement. And many/most high end cars are more comfortable than a 458 (997 Turbo, for example). But to experience its unique capabilities you can't even use an "ordinary" track. IIRC, the Top Gear segment(s) on the car had to be filmed at Ehra Lessien, the VW test circuit with a huge straight section.

It's kind of like buying choice real estate on the moon. You have it, but it's irrelevant.

If I had infinite money and a 20 car garage, I'm still not sure I'd have a Veyron. From a market perspective it's kind of like a Maybach, IMHO -- can't argue with its exclusivity or excellence, but when I see one I'm more curious about how the owner made his money than anything. The other problem with the Veyron is that for what I could sell it for I can immediately think of 4-5 other cars that are on my automotive fantasy bucket list.

21. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Standard Veyron?

No thanks.

I do like the Supersport though.

the thing that irritates me relentless is that the normal Veyron looks like a very posh Bentley inside, claiming luxury. But in fact, at 70mph cruising around, it's louder than a 911 GT3 RS doing the same speeds. False advertising if you ask me, and perhaps more irritating, fan boys claiming it's as luxurious as a bentley.

The supersport, with alcantara inside, and lots of carbon, takes a lot of that away which I like.

Mind you, there's a lot of cars that'll come before the Veyron SS still in my mind. But I have no doubt that if I where to own one, I would have great fun blasting from southern spain all the way to Holland.

The Zonda F with some cinque bits appeals to me much, much more. And at half price of a supersport, I could throw in an F40, F50 and still have cash left over for a 2nd hand continental flying spur. Because that thing is actually luxurious, and with a chip it still reaches astronomical speeds ;).

22. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I completely understand your points, one thing you can use is the acceleration though, 0-60 in <2.5s is just unimaginable and you can use it on the streets, let's not get into a discussion on if you should. ;)

Somewhat on topic, I was talking with one of the original McLaren F1 test drivers and he was telling me about one of their customers who kept complaining of engine and gearbox issues. Turns out the customer commuted via the autobahn and would regularly take the car to work and hit at least 200mph daily.

23. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    The fact that they didn't sell out immediately tells you what the market thinks...

24. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    I have quite a bit of seat time in a 997 Turbo S, which does 0-60 in ~2.8 seconds. I can tell you that with the sport button engaged (for regular street driving ;)), it is too fast for the streets. A Veyron is just more of the same, in a more conspicuous package.

25. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Performance may be great, but the looks just aren't to my liking. In all honesty, the new Ferrari FF looks better than the normal Veyron. Though, different story with the Supersport.

I'd take a blue CF SS, but a normal Veyron (or any of the half-dozen or so "special editions"), no.