1926 Bugatti type 35 | FerrariChat

1926 Bugatti type 35

Discussion in 'Bugatti' started by davidgoerndt, Dec 13, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    #1 davidgoerndt, Dec 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    It is very pretty - and seems to be a rather dark shade of blue for a Bugatti.

Are you sure it wasn't made in Argentina? - (not much "patina", I mean)

3. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Looks very nice, quite like one I saw at auction a few years ago, described as "a replica with more original parts than most real Bugattis".

4. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I don't think it's an original chassis.

I think Pur Sang from Argentina is very possible.

Very few 35's had dual quasi-Brooklands with red leather.

Anything that dark blue with a big tail number 3 should be trackable.

--Matt

P.S. I want a supercharged 2.3 Pur Sang very much!

5. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Just as a side thought - although I understand the "purists" who do not like the Pur Sang recreations very much:

I would just like to say that I very much appreciate the enormous effort and enthusiasm they have made to keep this very important car alive.

I too would very much like to own one someday.

6. Dino V

Dino V Formula 3

Sep 21, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dino
    beautiful

7. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I still think the type 35 was the prettiest racing car ever made.

8. Alan Cox

Alan Cox Rookie

May 7, 2012
    Cheshire, England
    Full Name:
    Alan Cox
    The pristine condition of all elements point to it being a replica, Pur Sang or otherwise.

9. Gilles

Gilles Karting

Aug 10, 2003
    South of France
    For me it's a 35 PS Argentina
    The front cover 3-2-3-2-3 Typically PS Argentina
    The Hood is one of compressed car, without the hole. And "Louves" reversed in center...
    The steering box mounted backward has a compressed car ...
    Sorry for my English....

10. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    Update, I just returned from a car show where this car was on display. I had the opportunity to speak with the owner's rep and it turns out this car is the real deal, not a reproduction after all. He told me they were able to trace the history back to the beginning.

11. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Gorgeous-Beautiful-Gorgeous!!

:) :)

12. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Were you able to get a chassis number?

13. dbw

dbw Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    palo alto ca
    Full Name:
    dave
    Chassis #(plate/ crankcase arm): engine#( upper/ lower crankcase/ cambox ); transmission#: rear axle#; frame#: front axle#;... If you have all these and they make sense with each other then you are on the way to the "real deal". : )

14. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    #14 davidgoerndt, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
    Sort of, as I was talking to the guy with the car , he mentioned the chassis number but I didn't write it down and the display card for this show usually doesn't list serial numbers. This person is the manager of the collection this car is in. He mentioned the car had been the subject of an extensive search for the history of this car that went back to the origin of this car.
    As I was photographing the car, Wayne Carini came by and was asking a lot of questions about the car. The car was started briefly and made a very nice sound.
    I think this car is in a collection in Florida, not sure where though.
    There was another Bugatti on display, a 1938 Type 57, a stunning car up close.

15. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    As Gilles and others pointed out earlier, there are too many clues that say it came from Argentina and not Molsheim.

I would also add that the tach drive looks like the Pur Sang variety with a modern belt. (But I bet that it's an electric tach.)

A picture of the dash would cinch it.

Matt

16. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    apologies for the hijack, but if you have any more pics of the white 959 in the background please post in the Porsche picture thread :)

17. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    #17 davidgoerndt, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here's a photo of the dash. FYI, the person showing the car is the manager of the Ingram Collection in NC. I couldn't find any info on the Bugatti on their web site, still looking though.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. dbw

dbw Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    palo alto ca
    Full Name:
    dave
    Inner body panel way too shineyto be old ... Not a deal breaker as many if not most gp bugs have been rebodied. Also the oil and fuel pressure gauges appear new but the clock and tach seem unrestored (actually the tach face seems a bit odd ) nice car tho....

19. dbw

dbw Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    palo alto ca
    Full Name:
    dave
    Steering wheel reworded: footwell side castings looks like new castings. If a real car then a lot of club spares were used in the restoration. Also the presence of a chassis plate with a 4 digit chassis number isn't an absolute. Nice car tho...

20. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    It's Pur Sang.

They use original Jaeger clocks that the company is collecting on an ongoing basis. The other gauges are new, and the tach is an electric drive with the fake belt drive for looks. The layout, including fuel and oil pumps, is exactly what Pur Sang is making.

But I agree that it's a very nice car.

Just not a nice man telling people that it is what it isn't.

Matt

21. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    The car was entered in the Trophy Div(car must have won an award at a major competition) to be judged and according to the rules no reproductions, clones, tributes or recreations can be entered in this class for judging. I would think that a Pur Sang reproduction would be easily noticed and be ineligible for the class or judging. Based on this, I'm going to stick with the car being authentic. Maybe it's not 100% original, but I think it is a Bugatti T35.
    I saw the car running and the belt drive for the tach was working.

22. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    The Bugatti world is different from the Ferrari world. And I'm happier for it. They might allow a Pur Sang in competition. I really don't know.

I'd bet good money that its a Pur Sang.

The belt drive to the tach "works" in that the belt spins the pulley. But the drive of the needle itself is electric.

I don't mean to be antagonistic. It just isn't an old Molsheim car with history.

Matt

23. beachmk4

beachmk4 Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2012
    Florida
    #23 beachmk4, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
    Hate to break it to all of you but the car is an original. I know the car and it has GREAT history. It is one of 3 cars built to run the Targa Florio and did so in 1926, 27 and 28. It is owned by a friend of mine. If you look at the left side of the cockpit you will notice what appears to be a lever. It is, in fact a lever to pump additional oil to the engine while on the go. It is a feature of the TF cars built. The car has had a nut and bolt resto a few years ago and the owner is a fanatic about the car being spotless hence the shiney inner panels and the "brand new" look.

BTW it sits right next to his Maserati A6CGS when it's at home. A real nice pair of cars.

24. dbw

dbw Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    palo alto ca
    Full Name:
    dave
    Actually most t35's had the transfer pump and oil tank under the mechanics seat it was a throwback to times of riding mechanicians.. My 1930 35b had one despite being essentially a single seater.. The steering box is set up for a supercharceg engine so it might be running the strange carbs in lieu of the blower. It's a nice car don't get me wrong but it is not in totally original spec ( as I recall the long distance cars had a spare on both sides)I'll look up the chassis/ engine # so everybody will be happy.

25. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    The manual oil pump, along with a manual fuel pump, is a feature of every Pur Sang car also. They are backed up by more modern electric counter parts. The starter handle works too even though there's an electric starter.

Thank you. I'll be curious to hear the car's history. And you're right about the spare and the carbs and the steering box. It all points away from a real car.

Matt