The last finale gone. | FerrariChat

The last finale gone.

Discussion in 'Bugatti' started by YellowF50, Feb 24, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. YellowF50

YellowF50 Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    K B
  2. Aerolithe57

Aerolithe57 Formula Junior

Jul 13, 2014
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Uwe
    Bugatti sells the last Veyron
    • Bugatti president Wolfgang Dürheimer: “An unprecedented chapter in automobile history has reached its climax”
    • World première for the 450th Veyron at the Geneva Motor Show
    • Veyron is the world’s most powerful and fastest production supercar
    Molsheim, 23rd February 2015.
    Bugatti has sold the 450th and last Veyron. 16 cylinders, 1,200 PS, a maximum torque of 1,500 Nm, 0 to 100 km/h in 2.5 seconds and a world record speed of 431.072 km/h – these are the figures that describe the magic and uniqueness of the ultimate supercar of the modern era. The Veyron has caused a sensation across the world ever since its launch ten years ago. The Veyron is limited to 450 units: 300 long since sold-out coupés – the Veyron 16.4 delivering 1,001 PS and the Veyron 16.4 Super Sport delivering 1,200 PS – and 150 roadsters – the Veyron 16.4 Grand Sport with 1,001 PS and the Veyron 16.4 Grand Sport Vitesse with 1,200 PS. The final roadster has now been sold. Bugatti will be exhibiting the Veyron with chassis number 450, the Grand Sport Vitesse “La Finale”, at the Geneva Motor Show (5 to 15 March 2015) as a world première.
    “In the Veyron, Bugatti has created an automobile icon and established itself as the world’s most exclusive supercar brand,” says Wolfgang Dürheimer, President of Bugatti Automobiles S.A.S. “So far no other carmaker has managed to successfully market a product that stands for unique top-class technical performance and pure luxury in a comparable price/volume range. An unprecedented chapter in automobile history has reached its climax.”
    The development of the Bugatti Veyron represented one of the greatest technical challenges ever in the automotive industry. The Bugatti developers were given four goals in the specifications for the supercar: it should transfer more than 1,000 PS onto the road, drive faster than 400 km/h, accelerate from 0 to 100 km/h in less than three seconds and – the biggest challenge – in this configuration still be suitable for driving ‘to the opera’ in comfort and style.
    The Veyron 16.4 was presented in 2005 – the rest is history and a major success story. The open-top version, the Veyron 16.4 Grand Sport, followed in 2008. In 2010, the Veyron 16.4 Super Sport with increased power was launched and was then joined by the roadster version, the Veyron 16.4 Grand Sport Vitesse, in 2012.
    “The Veyron is unique in many respects even ten years after its launch,” says Dürheimer. In addition to its unequalled technical and dynamic characteristics, the Veyron features a timeless design. The supercar is the modern interpretation of Bugatti’s brand values “Art, Forme, Technique” and its striking lines and details continue the design DNA of the French luxury brand without compromise. Confirms Dürheimer: “The Veyron is not just a masterpiece of modern automobile design, it is more an automotive piece of art.”
    “Besides the certainty of owning the world’s fastest production super sports car with a high degree of individual exclusivity, Bugatti customers appreciate that, upon purchasing a Veyron, they become part of the history of an automobile brand that is steeped in tradition,” says the Bugatti president. “Many of the cars find their place in private collections and are purchased by automobile connoisseurs as investments.” Including options, the average price of the vehicles sold recently amounted to 2.3 million euros.
    Bugatti will fittingly celebrate the icon that is the Veyron at the upcoming Geneva Motor Show.
    The Alsace-based super sports car manufacturer will present the 450th vehicle as a world première – alongside the Veyron with chassis number 1 that left the Atelier in Molsheim ten years ago. A customer from the Middle East has secured number 450, the Grand Sport Vitesse
    “La Finale”, for himself. This vehicle will represent a collector’s item of particular value.
    The Geneva Motor Show will take place from 5 to 15 March 2015 at the Palexpo exhibition

3. lcworld

lcworld Formula Junior

Dec 25, 2013
    It wasn't long ago people were saying Bugatti will have problems moving the last 50 cars. Now they're all gone.

4. Hugh Conway

Hugh Conway Karting

Jul 24, 2012
    It appears the sales rate wasn't that much different from average to move those (delivery/sales are in VAG reports for public viewing). Does that say something about the car or the lazy reporting? Your decision.

5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    It took 10 years to sell 450 cars. I understand they only built so many per years but the fact that they werent all sold until now was worrying. The financial crisis didnt help. Also the new versions probably left some potential owners wondering what to do. Wait or order.

6. Aerolithe57

Aerolithe57 Formula Junior

Jul 13, 2014
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Uwe
    #7 Aerolithe57, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Consider that Porsche sold 918 918s a year at 70% of the price?

I think the biggest problem with the Veyron, aside from the depression in the middle of the run, is that it's a stale body design that's what... 16 years old now? I remember the early prototypes were around for years before the launch. It's the hypercar VW Bug by this point.

If I was going to drop $1.3-2mm I would want a classic or vintage collectible... or the most modern hypercar.

8. Nolf1023

Nolf1023 Rookie

Jun 18, 2013
    I think people tend to forget a few things when they talk about how long it took to sell all the Veyrons. I'm not arguing that it did take a long time, and in the end was accelerated only by the stream of unique "editions." However, when the car was first introduced it was really the only car available that cost upward of $1 million, so it may have seemed a bit extreme in price.

Now that $1 mill is the "norm" for a hypercar it doesn't seem so outlandish, but at the same time a Veyron manufactured and sold in the past few years (for instance the time that the P1, 918, and LaFerrari have been available) is considerably more than $1 million and in many cases is twice as much as any of these three cars.

The Veyron from a price standpoint is in an even higher, more exclusive class, and it seems logical that it would take longer to sell all the cars.

9. Hugh Conway

Hugh Conway Karting

Jul 24, 2012
    How do you figure that? The 918 show car appeared 5 years ago.

If the goals had been what you all are evaluating it on the process would have been different. or they would have canned it. < shrug >

10. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    70%? They had a hard time selling the remaining Veyrons due to the nearly 3 million price tag of the Vitesse.

The Wiessach pakage on the 918 was roughly 80k, and got you a bunch of options that transformed the car.

On an Super Sport or Vitesse, Carbon finish paint cost 450k alone. Some Veyrons moved out the door for close to 4 million.

Sure the Veyron has a cheerful wan smile to its pug snouted mug, and it has an ovoid egg -shaped rump.

But it's a show stopper. Drive a Veyron to 200 vs. Any other car. VW sweated the details.

11. Atlanta355

Atlanta355 Karting

Jun 7, 2008
    Atlanta
    I wonder if they will start to appreciate now? Personally I would way rather have a used Veyron than a new 918 or Laferrari.

12. Mbn

Mbn Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    Last week I've been told to expect a privet invitation soon for the new Bugatti veyron replacement.

yes i took them long to sell, but with all honesty the cars totally worth it.

Mnm7

13. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    A show stopper indeed, and I feel a bit misunderstood and under-appreciated.

To me, the 918, LaFerrari, and P1 are just the hypercars du jour, whereas the Veyron is the pinnacle and will age gracefully.

14. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin

I do not mean to come across as a jerk here... but I (and many others I speak to) couldn't disagree with you more.

I think it is one of the most overhyped cars of the century. When a twin turbo gallardo can destroy it in a race or even a zr1 with a pulley tune and exhuast can hold it off... it lost a significant amount of street cred.

The car just really isn't that fast. They started out with the wrong shape and then over complicated it. The car is an engineering nightmare. No engineer on the planet would have built the car that way. They engineered there way out of every problem on a "clean sheet" design. Seriously... it has to be one of the largest failures in automotive design/engineering history. They just spent there way through each problem. The whole design was flawed from the get go. If you think I am nuts, actually read on the engineering of the car. Look at how many radiators there are. They used every inch to cool that car its insane. Totally unnecessary as well. Look at how many years it took for them to develop that car. I think that car stayed under development longer than any other car in modern history... it wasn't because they were being through it was because they had TONS and TONS of problems. The car kept getting more and more delayed.

What it achieved is great and noteworthy... how it did it... is a completely different story.

Now, I am not going to call you stupid for liking it or anything like that. I think its great you appreciate it and maybe even love it. Some people like the color blue and some like the color red or green or purple. We can all have a difference of opinion for sure! The only thing that I would say about it is... I don't think anyone could argue it is underappreciated. I think most fan boys and magazine nerds (myself included) just read the number and hear its the fastest and watched the top gear high speed runs and then just put it on the highest shelf without really looking into what made that car tick.

Just my opinion.

Also, because no one asked for my opinion... anyone else underwhelmed by the last car? I mean for a company that did all of these crazy carbonfiber and metal finishes and all the flamboyance... it just goes to... burgandy and black...

15. Nolf1023

Nolf1023 Rookie

Jun 18, 2013
    Mbn, I'm sure Bugatti will ask you to keep quiet on the new car but please share any info you can/are allowed to. I can't wait to hear about it.

I agree the Finale spec would definitely not be my first choose for the Veyron's final hurrah. The car is beautiful but in my opinion there are many other specs that are much better looking, for example the Black Bess or Jean-Pierre Wimille editions, both of which also had a greater tie-in with Bugatti's past.

What I think they really should have done was create one final Supersport instead of the Vitesse, as I think the SS was the Veyron's ultimate form, in performance and aesthetics.

Also regarding the delays and problems, yes the car took a long long long while to come to fruition, but the final product was undoubtedly the automotive masterpiece of its time. Listen to a journalist talk for example about the way the car rides and drives. It's still the go-to comparison when judging how refined a supercar can be.

One reason the car did take so long to develop, along with its teething issues, was VW's mission to make the car as reliable as possible. Have you ever read a story of a Veyron breaking down, overheating, or catching fire?

An example: I recall reading a Veyron review in a mag a long while ago that talked about the car's transmission. It was compared to that of the Nissan GTR and Porsche 911 Turbo. The tranny costs about as much as both the GTR and 911, so obviously this is not a direct comparison. However, (and my memory may be a bit hyperbolic) as I recall the 911 and GTR transmissions both suffered after several successive launch-control starts in a row (overheating, slower shift times, smoking clutch, etc.), whereas the Veyron was able to pull-off literally dozens of successive LC starts with no ill effects, even with twice the power of the other cars.

The car is definitely not flawless, but it has definitely become a milestone to which other cars are still compared in more aspects than simply top speed.

16. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin

I do know of two local cars to me that have had some fairly serious issues.

I think that the people who own them have done a pretty good job of not destroying there resale by keeping it quiet. Also the guy who buys a 4 million dollar car... likely doesn't spend much time on the internet.

Also, agree with you about the gtr trans but disagree with you about the porsche trans. That trans has been launched and launched and launched and is incredibly reliable. motor trend did like a 5o years of porsche celebration and it launched a turbo s 50 times on camera... they lost count and did something like 63 launches... and oddly enough the car didn't even get slower. I am not a porsche guy at all... but cred where cred is due.

17. Nolf1023

Nolf1023 Rookie

Jun 18, 2013
    Excellent points. Care to share the issues those two Veyrons experienced?

I figured my memory had been skewed a bit. The 911 Turbo is a very impressive machine. I wonder where the law of diminishing returns will ultimately affect these cars' acceleration times, as transmissions and tires continue to improve. Very exciting.

Thanks for the rebuttal Technom3.

P.S. I think the single most important factor in making the Veyron successor a winner is weight. I've read a few speculations about carbon wheels for example, but clearly the car needs a significant diet if it's going to be another world-beater

18. Mbn

Mbn Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    I will try my best as long as I wont promise or sign an embargo, but I will make sure to ask what to hint for.

Mbn

19. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Talked to someone who works on the engines and he said that it will have more power than what the press is saying.
    Not trying to start a rumor just conveying what he told me. That is all he told me and I don't have any other info.

20. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken

I used to have a 997 Turbo that had a gearbox failure after about 3-6 months. Didn't drive it as hard as MT by any stretch. Was replaced as a sealed unit. Car sat for about a month waiting for parts but it was NZ

21. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    interesting.

The MT car was a 991. Not sure what the technical differences were in the gearboxes between the years admittedly.

Question for you... was yours a PDK or was it a 3 pedal manual?

22. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Three pedal. Mine was one of the last ones that the auto option was a tiptronic. Not that I would have bought anything but the manual. The last thing that car needed was to be less engaging! Was only fun when you drove it like you stole it and the cops didn't like that much.

23. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Still an ugly car imo that has never grown on me and really serves no purpose other than to say you have a ton of money and you have a higher top speed than any other street car (although electronically limited and you can't reach it).