Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Regional Areas - USA West > California & Nevada (Southern) - Sponsored by Fast Cars ltd

Share/Bookmark LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2010, 10:29 PM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Travis
Differences between Northern and Southern California?

Sorry for such a broad question. I've been entertaining the idea of moving out there for the past year or so. I know that Northern and Southern California are quite a bit different, but I was wondering if someone could give me more specifics.

I know it is colder in Northern California vs Southern California...but how much of a difference are we talking about? Could someone please go into the detail about the differences in weather?

And what about other differences? Traffic? Culture? Things to do? Thank you for any insight.

California seems like a big hub for the kind of work I do and market demand is high. I can nearly double or triple my salary (even with cost of living calculated). Cheers!
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 01-22-2010, 10:32 PM
Rookie
Non Subscribed

Nor Cal is where Nancy Pelosi resides!
Old 01-22-2010, 10:38 PM
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Tim
Its like blondes or brunettes...everyone has a different preference. I strongly suggest that you spend some quality time in each area, and make up you own mind (depending on your needs). With regard to obvious differences such as weather, a google search would be time well spent.

Tim
Old 01-22-2010, 11:15 PM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Yeah, my apologies. I tried doing a few google searches before posting, but couldn't come up with any great results as far as comparing the two climates. I'll have to delve into each individually a bit more. I'll keep plugging away. Thanks.

P.S. Blondes and brunettes is a bad analogy for me because I'm kinda partial to both!

Last edited by bounty; 01-22-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:16 PM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICEcap View Post
Nor Cal is where Nancy Pelosi resides!
Noted. =D
Old 01-22-2010, 11:20 PM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimsBlack16M View Post
Its like blondes or brunettes...everyone has a different preference. I strongly suggest that you spend some quality time in each area, and make up you own mind (depending on your needs). With regard to obvious differences such as weather, a google search would be time well spent.

Tim
Just googled Agoura Hills, CA...I was interested in a job in Thousand Oaks...but according to several cost of living calculators...I would have to make more than double what I do now to just break even. Crazy costs!
Old 01-22-2010, 11:32 PM
Karting
Non Subscribed

CA has so many great areas, it is a real tough call. I love OC b/c it is car crazy, has a nice diverse culture and lots of great stuff is nearby. But, the same could probably be said about the Bay area as well. Its all good.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:38 PM
Three Time F1 World Champ
Advising Moderator

Full Name: Dirty Harry
Agoura Hills is pricey. Check out Newbury Park.

As to the *ahem* "climate change"... Coastal LA in particular has June Gloom, but San Francisco...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...NGOBEA9JI1.DTL
The fog is such a part of the area that it has become part of the literature of San Francisco. Poet George Sterling referred to the "cool gray city,'' and Dashiell Hammett made the fog -- "thin, clammy and penetrant" -- almost a literary character in his masterpiece, "The Maltese Falcon." John Steinbeck thought the San Francisco fog rolling in looked like a herd of woolly sheep, and the fog in the Salinas Valley reminded him of thin flannel. "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco,'' a saying that is almost a San Francisco cliche, turns out to be an invention of unknown origin, the coolest thing Mark Twain never said.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:55 PM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wax View Post
On Wednesday, San Francisco was colder than Anchorage, Alaska. San Francisco had a low of 52 at sunrise, three degrees colder than the Alaskan city.
Ouch.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:19 AM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Albert
In both Northern and Southern California you can drive your F-car pretty much year round. That's the most important thing really. There are many stereotypes about each place, but I wouldn't really read into those things.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:52 AM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Mark C.
My mom's family is from SoCal, dad's originally from NorCal. I know more about SoCal because I grew up here, but I've been to NorCal enough to offer an opinion.

Short version... SoCal is mainly Los Angeles, Orange County, and the valley. LA - Beach cities are nice, warm almost all year, everything is spread out, not much in terms of public transport. Lot of different people/cultures/neighborhoods. OC - Everything was built more recently, so a lot of planned communities, etc. Again beach cities are beautiful... exotic cars (and people) everywhere.

NorCal: Mainly San Francisco, Silicon Valley, etc. San Francisco is like most big cities - public transportation, crowded, expensive, a lot of history, and cold/foggy most afternoons. "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco" - Mark Twain. If you like living in the heart of a big city and don't mind hippies and whatnot, I suppose it's great.

I remember you asking this question before (or at least, about moving to CA) ... have you ever visited CA? I would do that.

For me, I love Southern CA. The weather is amazing, I live in a beach city that isn't overcrowded, anything I can think of is within 2 hours (mountains, desert, forest, beach, mexico..) I would personally not want to live in Northern CA, but everyone is different. My cousin lives in Berkeley and wouldn't want to live in Southern CA even though she grew up here.

If you have specific cities you are looking at, it would help. CA is huge and even just generalizing about LA is not easy. There are countless numbers of little pockets of areas that are all unique.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:52 AM
Five Time F1 World Champ
Lifetime Rossa

Full Name: dOTUS
Apples and Oranges, F1 or manual, NorCal or SoCal.......

Taste before you buy.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:10 AM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchas View Post
My mom's family is from SoCal, dad's originally from NorCal. I know more about SoCal because I grew up here, but I've been to NorCal enough to offer an opinion.

Short version... SoCal is mainly Los Angeles, Orange County, and the valley. LA - Beach cities are nice, warm almost all year, everything is spread out, not much in terms of public transport. Lot of different people/cultures/neighborhoods. OC - Everything was built more recently, so a lot of planned communities, etc. Again beach cities are beautiful... exotic cars (and people) everywhere.

NorCal: Mainly San Francisco, Silicon Valley, etc. San Francisco is like most big cities - public transportation, crowded, expensive, a lot of history, and cold/foggy most afternoons. "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco" - Mark Twain. If you like living in the heart of a big city and don't mind hippies and whatnot, I suppose it's great.

I remember you asking this question before (or at least, about moving to CA) ... have you ever visited CA? I would do that.

For me, I love Southern CA. The weather is amazing, I live in a beach city that isn't overcrowded, anything I can think of is within 2 hours (mountains, desert, forest, beach, mexico..) I would personally not want to live in Northern CA, but everyone is different. My cousin lives in Berkeley and wouldn't want to live in Southern CA even though she grew up here.

If you have specific cities you are looking at, it would help. CA is huge and even just generalizing about LA is not easy. There are countless numbers of little pockets of areas that are all unique.
Mark,

Thank you for your response- very appreciative! I think I'm looking for something in Southern California based on your feedback. I have visited Southern California (San Clemente and San Diego), but it was during the summer and I spent most of my time on the beach...and was without a car...so I only saw a very limited portion.

The only reason why I ask this question is because I'm fairly certain that I want to try someplace in Southern California...but there is high demand for my profession in both areas and didn't want to rule out Northern California due to a lack of knowledge. Coming from Chicago, I am tired of the city life and the cold weather.

"San Francisco is like most big cities - public transportation, crowded, expensive, a lot of history, and cold/foggy most afternoons. "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco" - Mark Twain. If you like living in the heart of a big city and don't mind hippies and whatnot, I suppose it's great."

^^This is exactly what I don't want. I want year round warm weather and lots of sunshine. Thankfully, California has the most jobs in my profession of any state by far...but I posted this thread to hopefully narrow down my search. I'm going out to visit a friend that lives in Costa Mesa and the another friend in HollyWood Hills to see if this is something I want or not.

But as you know...I can't visit everywhere and need some guidance before I go out there or get too involved in the job search.

Thanks again.

Edit: And no, I'm not a huge fan of hippies or that scene...I spent a year in Boulder...no thanks.

Last edited by bounty; 01-23-2010 at 02:13 AM.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:35 AM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Christian
I work in No. Cal - Santa Clara and live in So. Cal - the OC.

enough said,

MB
Old 01-23-2010, 03:27 AM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by F456 V12 View Post
I work in No. Cal - Santa Clara and live in So. Cal - the OC.

enough said,

MB
Google maps says 380 miles...how do you commute?
Old 01-23-2010, 06:53 AM
F1 Rookie
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Haig
My Garage
Were you thinking of buying or renting?
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 01-23-2010, 09:22 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Full Name: JC
IMO a deal breaker for Norcal (besides the fact that Nancy Pelosi and her ilk reside there) is that there is no Cars & Coffee or Super Car Sunday that I know of up there.
JC
Old 01-23-2010, 11:01 AM
F1 Rookie
Rossa Subscribed

I'm from Chicago, and I'm currently in SoCal (been to NorCal many times), all I can say is: move!...don't look back. don't freak out about the money, it will sort itself out with time and hard work. PM me if you want a longer explanation.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:31 AM
Five Time F1 World Champ
Lifetime Rossa

Full Name: dOTUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel View Post
I'm from Chicago, and I'm currently in SoCal (been to NorCal many times), all I can say is: move!...don't look back. don't freak out about the money, it will sort itself out with time and hard work. PM me if you want a longer explanation.
You gonna be at SCS tomorrow?
Old 01-23-2010, 11:38 AM
F1 Rookie
Rossa Subscribed

what's SCS?