Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Regional Areas - USA West > California & Nevada (Southern) - Sponsored by Fast Cars ltd

Share/Bookmark LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2011, 07:32 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Brent R.Lachelt
Ferrari crash Newport Beach

I'm down in Newport beach for a wedding. PCH at tustin closed several cars involved. Including a Ferrari maybe red 360 can't tell. Fatalities involved. Cop told me it wasn't the Ferrari drivers fault. Can't even walk to my friends wedding on a boat down here. Crazy.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 01-15-2011, 07:35 PM
F1 World Champ
Lifetime Rossa

Full Name: Jon
My Garage
Sad news.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:53 PM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Taylor Good
No sign of a Ferrari in this picture from Daily Pilot:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 274079900-15174604.jpg (32.3 KB, 511 views)
Old 01-15-2011, 07:55 PM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Picture from OC register:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lf3cwz-lf3cwdimg00046.jpg (12.4 KB, 504 views)
Old 01-15-2011, 08:09 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Cop told me a Ferrari but I don't see one either. Looks like a 350z.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:09 PM
F1 Rookie
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: kerim
just saw this on abc news. But no details about the cars. sad either way.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:11 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Got to my friends boat for the wedding. It's very erie down here. The bodies are still in some of the cars. Very sad.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:41 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Jason
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGOOD View Post
No sign of a Ferrari in this picture from Daily Pilot:
Maybe the cop meant to say Ducati (although I have no idea if it is one).

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent Lachelt View Post
It's very erie down here. The bodies are still in some of the cars. Very sad.
That's horrible.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 01-15-2011, 09:50 PM
Five Time F1 World Champ
Lifetime Rossa

Full Name: dOTUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent Lachelt View Post
Got to my friends boat for the wedding.
Mojo?
Old 01-15-2011, 10:08 PM
F1 Rookie
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Haig
My Garage
Wow, that is in front of my office.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:58 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Greg
Pics are up on the OC Register website now. Vehicle shown in their photo array do not include a Ferrari. There is a red Pontiac Solstice convertible with very minor damage that people might have originally thought was a Z-car or F-car. Major damage occurred to a silver truck on its side that got t-boned, and a 4-door sedan of some sort that was also on its side and suffered major damage to the roof. News reports that 3 people were killed, but no word yet if they were vehicle occupants, the riders of the two downed sportbikes, etc.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:37 AM
Four Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5guy View Post
Pics are up on the OC Register website now. Vehicle shown in their photo array do not include a Ferrari. There is a red Pontiac Solstice convertible with very minor damage that people might have originally thought was a Z-car or F-car. Major damage occurred to a silver truck on its side that got t-boned, and a 4-door sedan of some sort that was also on its side and suffered major damage to the roof. News reports that 3 people were killed, but no word yet if they were vehicle occupants, the riders of the two downed sportbikes, etc.
what happened? someone blow through a red light?
Old 01-16-2011, 07:39 AM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Definitely no Ferrari involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyIncognito View Post
what happened? someone blow through a red light?
Here's an account:

The driver that caused that accident nearly hit me in the crosswalk. I heard her hit the first car in front of Sterling BMW and then the car just kept going, I looked and it was headed straight for me. There was something seriously wrong. It couldn't have just been because she was speeding. It was like she was knocked out, or had jammed the accelerator accidentally. At that point she was going about 60-70 mph. There was no braking, just accelerating after she hit the first white car. She was deflected off another truck and into the Tacoma she flipped on its side killing those passengers instantly, then her car flew through the air nailing the guy on the motorcycle and several other cars before it came to rest, and then the whole scene (a very busy intersection, mind you) went dead quiet.

Last edited by TG; 01-16-2011 at 07:49 AM.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:13 AM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Mike
Greg is right, the red sports car is/was a Pontiac Soltice, they showed it on the news last night.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:34 AM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketuason View Post
Greg is right, the red sports car is/was a Pontiac Soltice, they showed it on the news last night.
Sorry for the false alarm on the Ferrari call guys. Cop told me a Ferrari was involved. From a distance all I could see was the rear wheel and it looked like a stock 360 wheel. Wonder what was going on with that driver that caused the whole thing?
Old 01-16-2011, 12:04 PM
F1 Rookie
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: kerim
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGOOD View Post
Definitely no Ferrari involved.

Here's an account:

The driver that caused that accident nearly hit me in the crosswalk. I heard her hit the first car in front of Sterling BMW and then the car just kept going, I looked and it was headed straight for me. There was something seriously wrong. It couldn't have just been because she was speeding. It was like she was knocked out, or had jammed the accelerator accidentally. At that point she was going about 60-70 mph. There was no braking, just accelerating after she hit the first white car. She was deflected off another truck and into the Tacoma she flipped on its side killing those passengers instantly, then her car flew through the air nailing the guy on the motorcycle and several other cars before it came to rest, and then the whole scene (a very busy intersection, mind you) went dead quiet.
maybe a stroke or heart attack?? or just passed out??
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 01-16-2011, 01:28 PM
Four Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by koisokok View Post
maybe a stroke or heart attack?? or just passed out??
def. sounds like a medical emergency started it.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:44 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Greg
From the OC Register this afternoon. Based on description below, I would also agree that it was either a medical emergency or horrible vehicle malfunction. RIP to those who passed away.

NEWPORT BEACH – Authorities identified the three people killed in a 10-car pileup Saturday afternoon.

Driver Christopher De La Cruz, 49, of Laguna Niguel and passenger Santa Ana resident Linda Burnett, 69, died at the scene at 2:43 p.m. Saturday. Julie Allen, 27, of Newport Beach also died at the scene.

De La Cruz drove a white Toyota Tacoma pickup. Allen was the only occupant of a tan Ford Taurus involved in the accident at Riverside Avenue and West Coast Highway in Newport Beach.

Nine automobiles and one motorcycle were involved in the violent collision Saturday, officials said. Two cars were lying on their sides, and people were trapped inside some of the cars.

An initial police investigation said Allen was speeding east on West Coast Highway when her Taurus crossed into the opposite traffic lane, hitting a Toyota Prius and a white Ford Taurus, police said. Allen continued driving the wrong way and hit a Nissan Titan pickup before striking the passenger door of the Tacoma driven by De La Cruz.

The Tacoma was turning from Riverside Avenue onto eastbound West Coast Highway, according to police.

Allen's Taurus was propelled into the air, then landed in the southbound turn lane for a restaurant on West Coast Highway, officials said. When the car landed, it hit other vehicles, including the motorcycle.

Allen had been a cross-country and track runner at Corona Del Mar and Fountain Valley high schools. She graduated from Corona Del Mar High and later from Stanford University.

Recently, she was running with the Cal Coast Track Club under coach Bill Sumner.

"She was one of our favorite little members," Sumner said. "She was bubbly, angelic."

Neighbor Elizabeth Airth echoed Sumner's description.

"She was a beautiful girl," Airth said. "She was very active, constantly running down the street to the beach."

Sumner also said Allen had been a good swimmer and frequently would swim in the ocean. Allen was a tomboy and her hobbies were recreation, he said. She kept in touch with Sumner while she was at Stanford.

"She stayed innocent and young for longer than most people can even imagine," Sumner said. "She was just so fun and innocent. She was always happy. ... She was 27, and if I looked at her and saw her I would have guessed she was 19."

"Why is it the good ones? Why her?" he asked.