California's audio system | FerrariChat

California's audio system

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by ferandre, Oct 20, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferandre

ferandre Rookie

Mar 20, 2005
    I recently purchased a California a month ago, and man, it is simply awesome! It generates sounds that consist of multitude of different tones and vibrations depending on the road and driving conditions. I can't get enough of driving it.

Its ride and handling are softer than my F430, but it's not a bad thing at all. It's just different. As many reviews' numbers tell you, what is quite surprising is that it feels much, much faster than the F430, because I think it IS faster in acceleration in most driving situations on the road. Its transmission is much better than F430. It is a marvelous piece of engineering and art. Just like many of you, I had my skepticism, but I changed my mind.

What I am not so impressed with is its audio system. Its bass is lacking, and its spectrum of sound is not comparable to other cars costing half as much. You may say, well it's a Ferrari, but this is a new niche-making car for Ferrari, a GT with amenities, and it should be much better. The 612 has much better sound system. Does anyone know of a great after market audio enhancement service for Ferrari in So Cal, but not voiding the original factory warranty?

Jglaze21 and Nick.C like this.
  2. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    That is so tough with all the integration. It was simple when it was simply a head to be replaced.

3. k-diddy

k-diddy Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2004

PM Sent

4. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I would love to hear what K-diddy had to say.
    Is there a way to upgrade it??

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Sounds like you have an awesome ride! We need some PICS!!!!

6. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    I can't imagine it's too hard to upgrade, it's basically a Becker/ HK Double Din unit, the only integration with the car is it repeating some limited information to the LCD screen which would probably be lost with another manufacturer.

7. shawminator

shawminator Karting

May 16, 2008
    Austin
    Does anyone know anything about the High-power Premium HI-FI (Modis code SNDB) that is soon to be offered for the Cali? Here's the info my dealer passed to me:

High-power Premium HI-FI (Modis code SNDB)
    A new enhanced audio system designed and developed exclusively for Ferrari by Harman Becker can be ordered for the Ferrari California.This high-power next generation HI-FI audio system is equipped with 9 loudspeakers and a 8x50watt amplifier.In addition, the DVC (Dual Voice Coil) woofers ensure faithful sound reproduction even at verylow frequencies.The system is developed by JBL Professional®, Harman Becker brand, leading supplier for music
    and film markets.

8. Pitpass

Pitpass Karting

Apr 2, 2009
    The standard stereo on the California is straight out of a Chrysler minivan isn't it?

9. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray

This is very good to know. I was stressing about this.

10. shawminator

shawminator Karting

May 16, 2008
    Austin
    #10 shawminator, Nov 12, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
    To answer that question, here's a great quote from the NY Times on this very subject:

“The head unit for the stereo and navigation system is straight out of a Chrysler minivan.” That’s damning, but not really true. Yes, the Chrysler MyGIG infotainment system is similar, but Chrysler did not develop it; a Canadian company, QNX, did. The Ferrari uses a unit made by Harman/Becker, a QNX affiliate. Regardless, it is a high-quality unit.

Here's the link to the entire article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/18/automobiles/autoreviews/18ferrari.html

11. shawminator

shawminator Karting

May 16, 2008
    Austin
    Also, FYI, the upgraded Hi Fi stereo is ~$5500....

12. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    OUCH! This car is getting expensive!!!

13. ignacio

ignacio Karting

Feb 25, 2004
    annapolis md
    i am satisfied with the standard system and see no reason to upgrade

14. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    #14 Hawkeye, Jan 24, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
    I would save the money on the upgrade, take a vacation or buy 10 shares of google. I had an audio consultant (not a cheap one) see me at home about a new theatre and total home system. Interesting that nearly half of all people are tone deaf and cannot tell the difference between a $3,000 system and a $100,000 system. That was considerate (and professional) that they told me this information. I'm hoping I'm tone deaf.

The California is so much fun that with the top down (big benefit of the California) the noise interference with other sounds, traffic and wind alone will eliminate the benefits of any upgraded stereo system.

Reason to upgrade: If you want to sit in your garage with the top up and your eyes closed, listening to Eric Carmen's All by myself. If that's the case, PM me with your phone number and let's hang out, I will pull you out of whatever funk you're in.

Fireman1291 likes this.
  15. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    My ears are 63 years old ... absolutely no need to upgrade mine. It sounds plenty good. In NW Ohio I have not had the chance to drive with the top down yet though. Really looking forward to that.

16. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Not being able to truly spend time with the standard system, I ordered the upgrade. I will post my assesssment once she arrives. Naturally, I will not be able to comp[are until we get some Californias together. I really like to have good sounding music when I want to listen.

17. shawminator

shawminator Karting

May 16, 2008
    Austin
    I went for the upgraded audio system as well. I really enjoy listening to music when I drive, so I went for the upgrade despite the rather pricey additional cost.

18. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Yeah, for 5 grand, I better be able to ROCK!

19. DrMoFo

DrMoFo Rookie

Jan 13, 2010
    I opted for it as well. The stereo on my AMG was crap and I hated it. If I was driving the car for short drives, I would likely not have sprung for the upgrade, but I'll be driving it from Vegas to CA about once a month.

20. shawminator

shawminator Karting

May 16, 2008
    Austin
    FYI - here's the description I was given for the upgraded stereo system:

High-power Premium HI-FI (Modis code SNDB)

A new enhanced audio system designed and developed exclusively for Ferrari by Harman Becker can be ordered for the Ferrari California. This high-power next generation HI-FI audio system is equipped with 9 loudspeakers and a 8x50 watt amplifier. In addition, the DVC (Dual Voice Coil) woofers ensure faithful sound reproduction even at very low frequencies. The system is developed by JBL Professional®, Harman Becker brand, leading supplier for music and film markets.

21. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Why must I find everything out from F-chat. Nobody was able to give me details on this!
    Thanks!

JohnBradleyDaniels likes this.
  22. shawminator

shawminator Karting

May 16, 2008
    Austin
    Too right! Fchat to the rescue...

JohnBradleyDaniels likes this.
  23. sclja

sclja Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 23, 2004
    San Diego Ca
    Full Name:
    Scott Cairncross
    #23 sclja, Jan 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is a picture of a California we just finished doing a complete audio and navigation upgrade if anyone has a base audio system and wants to make improvements.

Scott
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Xeron

Xeron Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    Vegas
    so, the next question is; How much was the upgrade?

25. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray