Launch (PS) | FerrariChat

Launch (PS)

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by RickLederman, Apr 27, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I tried Launch today, Power Start in USA California terms. I had the Manettino in Sport, and held down the PS button until it quit beeping. With the brakes on and then mashing the throttle the RPM waivered around 1,700 to 1,800. Upon releasing the brakes RPM went to about 5K and the car really launched!

The question is that I thought it would hold RPM at around 3K until the brakes were released. I wonder if it would have changed if I had the Manettino in CST off. Any thoughts. I guess I should read the .pdf version of the manual I just downloaded.

By the way ... W O W ... pretty cool launch. My accountant was with me ... I think he was impressed.

2. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Sweeet! I was waiting for you to try it before I tried it in mine!!! Your accountant? You should have had a chick with you (perhaps Jennifer Aniston??!!) I am sure that he advised you that the Cali purchase was not a rational financial move.
    Just tell him its all about the Passione!!!!!

Turn the CST off and then I'll try it.

3. LasseH

LasseH Karting

Apr 23, 2010
    #3 LasseH, Apr 28, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
    Oh, I thought that it only works with CST off like in some Ferraris. You don't need to hold down the button, let it beep until you launch.

Anyway, also in CST off, the only mode I have tried it in, it does the same 1700-1800 rpm thing.

4. Trevor_Baker

Trevor_Baker Karting

Apr 13, 2009
    Royal Leamington Spa
    Full Name:
    Trevor Baker
    While I'm waiting for my California to arrive (hopefully sometime in June), I'd like to read the manual. Any chance you could post the download link? Thanks.

5. Trevor_Baker

Trevor_Baker Karting

Apr 13, 2009
    Royal Leamington Spa
    Full Name:
    Trevor Baker
    Much appreciated. Thank you.

6. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    That is the other thing that I have not done yet, punch it hard with CST off. I will try that in front of my friends house just to add to the tire marks the local car club leaves there just for him.

My accountant actually agrees that this California is totally in my best interest, far better than giving it to Bernie Madolf. And I will bet that Jennifer would enjoy the ride too.

Actually, 4,800 miles and the tires look great. One more thing about the car that impresses me.

7. Robin360

Robin360 Formula 3

Dec 2, 2007
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Does anybody know if the 'alternative' launch control works on the California? On the 599 & Scuderia you put it into race, then hold the down-shift paddle for at least two seconds until everything starts beeping, and then brake/build up revs/let go (without pressing the launch button). It seems faster than using the launch button on those cars.

8. LasseH

LasseH Karting

Apr 23, 2010
    LaunchControl shouldn't make tire marks because the idea is to launch the car as quickly as possible, not to burn rubber :)

9. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Cool, thanks for the test. I will use it a bit more often now.

10. ignacio

ignacio Karting

Feb 25, 2004
    annapolis md
    rick

i think that the ps only works with the "cst off". i also understand that the rpms do not exceed 3000 rpm. if you went up to 5000 rpm, i suspect that you were not really in launch (ps) mode, even though it was accelerating like a demon!

ignacio

11. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    I seem to remember reading somewhere that launch control has a limited number of times it can be used - didn't seem to make much sense to me. Anyone else heard this?

Take delivery of my California next Thursday afternoon in Perth, Western Australia - interested to see how it is to live with and also to play with things like launch control!!

Also had a great factory tour on the 22nd - very professionally run unfortunately couldn't take photos inside. The factory itself is stunning ad aside from the engine shop we toured the assembly area for the V8s - so saw a lot of Californias and 458s on the line - apparently 80% of car's produced are red. Saw a few different variations of red for show cars - apparently this is so that they look their best under different lighting conditions at different shows!!

David

12. LasseH

LasseH Karting

Apr 23, 2010
    That is possible, however, one thing I can tell you for sure is that if you just have used the LC it cannot be used again in a while. If you try it willl say operation not admissable on the display. I don't know that is there only a timer or does it actually measure the clutch temperature and act according to that.

13. LasseH

LasseH Karting

Apr 23, 2010
    This probably was the case. He said that he pressed the button until it stopped beeping, when it should beep (and say launch in the display) as long as you launch the car.

14. 22 yards

22 yards Rookie

May 2, 2016
    Basel, Switzerland
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread -- I just wanted to clarify the meaning of "PS".

Everybody knows that the "PS" button is labelled "Launch" in Europe; my understanding is that it's labelled "PS" in the US for legal reasons. But what does "PS" stand for? I've heard that US user manuals refer to "Power Start" -- is that actually written in the manual? I read somewhere that "PS" actually stands for the Italian phrase "Partenza Sportiva" -- "sporty departure". Sounds much more... Ferrari-y. ;) The only question then is, why does Ferrari use the English term "Launch" instead of the Italian "PS" in their cars for the Italian market, and the Italian term for the American market? :confused:

Can anyone shed any light on this?

15. Autolove

Autolove Karting

Jun 8, 2012
    S.A. TX.
    Full Name:
    Ivan
    PS = performance start

16. 22 yards

22 yards Rookie

May 2, 2016
    Basel, Switzerland
    Does that term actually appear in the US user manuals?

LouPianta likes this.
  17. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #18 4th_gear, Sep 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    #19 good2go, Sep 12, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
    I did PS this weekend. I put my left foot firmly on the brake. I push the PS button. Almost instantly the PS shows in the gear shift display. I put the accelerator all the way to the floor. The RPM went to about 3K RPM. Didn't sound like 3K RPM, but that is where the needle registered. Let off the break and it takes off. The car started to lose traction but the computer controls 100%. Perfect acceleration.

I read PS only takes you through 3 gears. So I shifted the car when the 3rd gear was close to 7K RPM. Not sure if it would have shifted or not.

I have only done this 3 times. The first time I some how screwed up. I think I put the accelerator up and down a few times, and maybe turned off the PS. When I launched, I read line the car, It did not shift. The second time worked great. Then this weekend was the third time. The RPM were always close to 3K. Again it did not sound like 3K, just read 3k.

--Sorry just realized I responded to a 2010 thread...

19. msgilchrist1

msgilchrist1 Rookie

Apr 17, 2017
    Some of us Ferrari newcomers appreciate follow ups to old threads.

The Best.

20. Steven Kelly

Steven Kelly Rookie

Oct 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    Steven Kelly
    #21 Steven Kelly, Oct 3, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2018
    Hi everyone my name is Steven and I’m new to the site. I want to thank all of the contributors in advance and for all of the great feedback you provide others at the expense of your own time. I think it’s safe to say I speak for the whole community when I say it’s much appreciated.

Driving the car, the PS button doesn’t do anything. It has no action when pushed like its either a dummy button or a broken button.

My question to the community is-
    Was there a variant sold that would exclude this feature but leave the labeled button?
    Or is it just broken and needs to be taken to my local Ferrari dealer?

Thanks again folks.

21. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    You don't just push the button. Read post # 18.