2012 Ferrari California 60 Month Open Lease? | FerrariChat

2012 Ferrari California 60 Month Open Lease?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Gordon Gekko, May 16, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gordon Gekko

Gordon Gekko Formula Junior

May 15, 2011
    Miami
    First time prospective Ferrari purchaser here. Got wind of a special available through the dealership and wanted to get seasoned Ferrari owners' opinions. Seems like a really good deal and want to make sure it is what I think it is. On a $218,500 2012 Ferrari California order (car would be built in November 2011 and delivered January/February 2012):

-$31,514 amount due at lease signing
    -$2,066 in monthly payments (including sales tax)
    -$127,500 residual value at end of 60 month term (balloon payment)

I would look to keep the car for the duration of the full factory warranty from Ferrari which is 3 years. My main concern is losing on the back-end if I return the car early. That would be an unexpected loss that I am not considering when making this decision. By the looks of the depreciation schedule I received I think I would be able to get out flat or have equity on the back-end of the lease. After 2 years the balloon payment would be $166,384 and after 3 years the balloon payment would be $153,991. Looking at the price of the 2009 California's now they seem to be going for between $180K at the low end and $200K at the high end. I feel that I would not lose more than the down payment and the monthly payments and if that is the case this seems like a very good deal for a 2012 model to me.

What do you guys think? Any feedback or opinons are welcomed. This would be the biggest purchase I have ever made so far in my life and I don't want to make a bad decision I will later regret. Thanks so much in advance.

2. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    #2 MalibuGuy, May 16, 2011
    Last edited: May 16, 2011
    If you decide to walk away from the car at the end of a three year lease, you will have spent $150k for the fun ride.

The residual value of $127k seems low. But then you paid about 40k more than if you bought the car from the start. So 127 + 40= 167k. That is the market price for a used Cali whose 3 yr factory warranty has expired which you need to meet or beat. If your 2012 model has a 7 yr warranty that might affect the value by thousands of dollars.

Of course there maybe some other differences in terms of tax deductions between a lease and purchase Not to mention insurance costs of a leased car. You can also consider the opportunity costs of the 90k you could invest with the lease option over 3 years.

3. Castrol

Castrol Rookie

Apr 8, 2011
    I'm here to simply state the obvious; please understand the difference between an open and closed lease. To me it seems like many do not know the difference.

4. GNALUZU

GNALUZU Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Can you share which dealer is offering such a program? or at least what region of the country you are in?

5. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Thanks. My knowledge of leasing cars is limited. (I buy my
    cars. But I did one lease primarily because of tax
    advantages-and did not keep the car.)

6. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Sorry but I also got some of the month term options confused. He has two year (24 month), three year (36 month) and five year (60 month) options?

7. LeonG360

LeonG360 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2007
    Calabasas
    $127K residual is actually high, who is offering this? I know Ferrari is around 50% residual, this deal is around 58%, huge difference!

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #8 tazandjan, May 16, 2011
    Last edited: May 16, 2011
    Gordon- Ferrari is about to offer 7 years of free service on new Ferraris and that stays with the car if sold. You might want to wait until all that settles out, because it will probably affect the value of the car down the line. In place already in Europe from 15 March 2011, last I heard, and to be introduced to the rest of the world at unknown future dates.

My numbers show you paying $282,974 for the car if you kept the car for 60 months and bought it at the end. Not sure that is too good a deal.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

9. Gordon Gekko

May 15, 2011
    Miami
    Malibu,
    No, if I return the car early after 3 years I would spent $105,890 between the down payment and the lease payments including sales tax. I would not lose another dollar if I can get the 3-year residual number I posted in the original post or I could make some money back if I could sell the car for higher than the 3-year residual number. I will have to find out from Ferrari if the 2012 Californias come with the 7-yr warranty. That would definitely help the value. I talked to my CPA and he said to lease over buying because my deduction in leasing the car to my company will end up being a much better deduction than purchasing the car and getting the permitted depreciation (which is a small fraction of what actual depreciation is). Insurance costs won't be too crazy because this will be my 2nd car and will only be driven for pleasure part-time.

10. Gordon Gekko

May 15, 2011
    Miami
    I totally understand the difference between a open and closed lease. Everything I put in the original post is for a 60 month open lease which I can return at any time. I would keep the car at least 2-3 years so that's why I put the 2 year and 3 year residual numbers. They seem safe to me to be able to get out flat on the back-end if I return the car early or perhaps I could have some equity in the car if I can sell it for higher than the 2 or 3 year residual figures.

11. Gordon Gekko

May 15, 2011
    Miami
    Thanks, I will look into this. If this is included on my 2012 California then I think it sweetens the deal quite a bit. I won't keep the car for 60 months and buy at end. I would keep the car either 2 or 3 years. Most likely 3 as long as I feel I can sell the car after 3 years for the residual number I would owe (153k and change) or higher. I talked to Premier Financing and he told me if my residual after 3 years is in the 150-155k range he thinks I will be safe to at least get out of the car flat with no further loss aside from down payment and lease payments. Plus, I will get a nice tax deduction from the lease payments which will lower my true cost of possessing the car.

This is how I see it:

1) $31,514 down
    2) $2,066 per month payment incl sales tax X 36 months if I keep car 3 years = $74,376
    TOTAL = $105,890 cost over 3 years (actual number is less because a portion of the lease payments will be tax deductible through my company)

3) Residual value owed after 3 years = $153,991. The way 2009 models are holding up right now I feel safe that I could at least sell the car for this number and have no further loss. If this car comes with 7 year free service then I think for sure I would at least get this and maybe even have 5-10K equity in the car at the end of 3 years to get some money back.

4) So basically it comes out to about $2941 per month to own the car for 3 years with the down payment and lease payments fully included. After taking into account the tax deduction on lease payments I think the true cost of the car will come out to about $2500 per month, which is $30K a year, which would be a total cost after tax deductions of $90K over 3 years.

What do you guys think taking all this into account?

I earn double digit returns on my investments easily so I think this is a much more cost effective way to drive a new Ferrari for a few years without being out $200K+. The $31,514 down payment isn't a big deal to me and the $2,066 monthly payments with tax aren't a big deal to me either. However, if I bought this car for $220K cash that would be a big deal to me because it would take away money I could use for my business and money I could invest and be making a $25-$30K return per year on.

12. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    If you can deduct it and if you are earning "double digit" returns on your investments and if you want a Ferrari, then leasing is a no-brainer better economic outcome.

Sadly I cannot deduct my lease payments (that is a savings of 35-45% depending upon which state you are in, so the $2000 per month becomes $1200 or thereabouts.

And, sadly, I don't average anywhere near double digits on my investments!

Leasing is a no-brainer for you given the facts you laid out. BTW, you can easliy figure out the interest rate on the lease and simply compare that to your investment return rate too...

13. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    Will Cali residuals be hit by 458 spider?

14. Henny Penny

Henny Penny Rookie

Jun 3, 2013
    Never get into a open end lease, you will loose.
    It's like being the bank with your buddies playing black jack, they hate you
    cause you keep taking there money.

15. Sgt93

Sgt93 Karting

Jun 11, 2011
    HUGE buying point for me if this happens. I will wait it out. <dancing>

16. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    ^^
    Taz wrote his post a couple years ago. All MY12 and newer cars include the 7 year maintenance. The cost is now priced into the MSRP.

17. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I agree.

This kind of situation where you are rolling dice against the house and other people decide whether your last and only hand is better than the house's will not likely go in your favour and definitely won't add to your enjoyment of the car as you wait.

Leasing in of itself, only makes economic sense in the long run, if you can use it for substantial tax write-offs. But how many people drive their Ferraris to work every day?

18. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yes, ditto here in Canada for MY13.

However, I see the messages from 2 years ago also mentioned the possibility of a 7-year warranty. That is NOT the case even today. AFAIK, despite the current 7-year maintenance, it is still only a 3-year warranty in N. America (and I believe a 4-year warranty in the UK).

After the original warranty runs out, I believe you can optionally buy extended warranty from Ferrari for another 2 years but that is conditional on the 7-year maintenance agreement being still intact. If you miss your appointment for yearly service by even 1 day, your warranty agreement will void and any subsequent option to extend warranty will no longer be offered. Not sure about non-factory extended warranty deals.

In Canada, the yearly service date is based on a 60-day window around the date when the car was originally picked up. So you can schedule anytime 30 days before and after that date. Free pick-up and drop-off is provided during the 3-year warranty period, after that it will be up to you to get the car to the dealer for your maintenance appointment. I believe it's $300 for the pick-up/drop-off service.

This also means if your Florida car was bought in the middle of Winter and you now drive it in Illinois, you'll still have to do the service in the middle of snow season. :eek:

19. mtarvydas

mtarvydas Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2011
    On the Mountain
    Full Name:
    Martin Tarvydas
    You are correct - 7 year maintenance not warranty. Still at $650 per oil change seems like a good deal.

Not to drift on a tangent but I had an original 1990 300ZX and claimed over 200 warranty issues in the first 3 years. Nissan honored every claim for the next 9 years as my initial claim was within the warranty period.

But I guess there is no warranty for the clutch burning out and the engine falling to the pavement :)

20. Super50

Super50 Rookie

Aug 31, 2014
    Does the 7 year service coverage pay for wear and tear items like wipers, brake pads etc?

21. seateddime

seateddime Karting

Apr 9, 2008
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Given the same car and the same miles is there a huge difference in price?

Thanks.

22. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Nope. A set of pads on my first Cali was $3,000, plus labor. I've replaced wipers and rear pads on my FF already, $3K for the rear pads alone there.

However, it does cover plenty of other expensive stuff. Spark plugs have been replaced in my FF already as a scheduled service. And it covers things like O2 sensors so for someone like me that drives their Ferrari every day it will save a bundle.