Exhaust Valves | FerrariChat

Exhaust Valves

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by omniman, Jun 27, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. omniman

omniman Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2008
    Florida/Michigan
    Full Name:
    James L.
    Are there exhaust valves on the stock Cali exhaust? I know some 458 owners have installed switches to manually manipulate the sound and I am wondering if this is possible with the California.

2. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
  3. Driftracer3

Driftracer3 Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2006
    The exhaust does have valves, but there is something that people dont seem to understand with adding a switch. The having the valves open all the time only changes the sound at low RPMs, which isnt really much of an improvement.

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #4 tazandjan, Jun 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    DR3- Schedule on the late model cars is a function of rpm, throttle setting and Manettino setting. Do not have the schedule for the California, but this will give you some idea, as it is the F430 schedule for opening. A bypass over-ride switch does give you more options. At WOT and high rpm, no difference. Nice to have the valves open at idle, like they are for the 575M, but not for the V8s. Sounds nice at stoplights.

Schedules courtesy of StefVan.

Taz
    Terry Phillips
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Driftracer3

Jan 5, 2006
    Yeah, I know the newer cars are a little different but I did spend a fair amount of time in a Cali and it seemed the valves were open quite often. Even valves unplugged was tried for awhile and the sound difference wasnt anything to write home about. Maybe Im just really picky, but that was my experience.

6. sg69

sg69 Karting

Aug 23, 2009
    VA
    I bypassed the valves on mine, which was really easy to do. Its not really much louder at all. The main difference I noticed was that you can now hear all the engine over run noise that used to be muted. All that burbling, crackling and backfire popping noise is so great! Also the exhaust sounds more even to me now because you don't hear the volume difference when the valves open and close.

7. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    All of that burbling, cracking, and backfiring can be heard easily without a valve switch ... simply downshift earlier, forcing the rpm above 5,500 with each downshift. I do that VERY regularly coming up to a stop ... my wife says I am such a show off but it sounds GREAT.

8. XSSSIVE

XSSSIVE Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Reno & Lake Tahoe
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Were are the valves located?

9. sg69

sg69 Karting

Aug 23, 2009
    VA
    They are in the mufflers. They are activated by small vacuum hoses that are attached to actuators outside the mufflers. You can disconnect them and plug the hoses with golf tees to prevent vacuum leak, thereby keeping the valves open at all times. It's easy to do yourself. It took me 30 minutes.

10. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    Does it cause the ECU to throw any error codes or otherwise change engine management?

11. sg69

sg69 Karting

Aug 23, 2009
    VA
    No, as long as you make sure to plug the hoses so as to not cause a vacuum leak. Golf tees work perfectly for this.

12. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    Makes sense, thanks. Did you happen to take any pictures of what you did?

13. sg69

sg69 Karting

Aug 23, 2009
    VA
    No, I thought about it after the fact... It's quite simple though. You don't need a lift either. You just have to remove the rear diffusor which is attached by 10 or so screws, and the mufflers are exposed. You can then see the little vacuum hose (blue) that is connected to the actuator on each mufler. Pull it off, plug it with golf tee, and secure it using zip tie so it doesn't fling about. I tied it down to the little nozzle that the hose was attached to before I pulled it off. Do the same thing to the other side and put the diffusor back on. That's all there is to it.

14. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    Thanks! I might give this a try, although I'm thinking I want to retain control to be quieter. I have the OEM Sport Exhaust on my 997 and the quiet switch comes in handy when pulling into my neighborhood or office park.

15. XSSSIVE

XSSSIVE Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Reno & Lake Tahoe
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    I received my Capristo remote.

Were is the solenoid valve control located on the California?

16. Driftracer3

Jan 5, 2006
    Passenger side in/around the trunk area. Follow the vacuum line from the muffler and you will find it.

17. XSSSIVE

XSSSIVE Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Reno & Lake Tahoe
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Is it accessed from underneath the car or from the trunk?

18. IAmAChild

IAmAChild Rookie

Mar 14, 2011
    I had the exhaust manifold 'update' done several months ago --- the entire sound (snap, crackle, pop) improved dramatically !!

I'm not sure what the technical adjustments were, but I'm certain of the improvement to sound. For example, I can now downshift at fairly low RPM's and force the 'pop' --- consistently.

Previously, it was a bit hit-and-miss.

19. Driftracer3

Jan 5, 2006
    Good question. Climb under the car and follow the vacuum routing and you should be able to tell where it is.

20. XSSSIVE

XSSSIVE Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Reno & Lake Tahoe
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    I wish it was that easy.

21. Capristo Exhaust

Dec 20, 2007
    Sundern/Germany
    #21 Capristo Exhaust, Sep 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    the electromagnetic valve is located behind the aluminum sheet on the right side. you need a small hand!hahahaah.
    1. all screws from the aluminum sheets unscrew
    2.dann all plates are moving
    3.the plate on the right side to pull down.
    4.Use a screwdriver to unlock the clip from the connector.
    Now you can pull the plug.

you can connect only from below

in the picture is highlighted in red.

this is the link for the manual http://www.capristo.de/upload/downloads/d_file_7.pdf

ciao Antonio
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. Pasta

Pasta Rookie

Aug 19, 2011
    Maple Grove
    Full Name:
    Dan
    disconnected mine on my 430 and i love the sound improvement ...very easy to do as well and no CEL

23. XSSSIVE

XSSSIVE Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Reno & Lake Tahoe
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    I unplug mine on my 430 as well. Easy to do.

It's a bit more difficult on the Cali since you have to pull a panel from below to access the valves.

I like having the remote from Capristo. It's nice to open and close the valves on demand.

24. hotbmwm3

hotbmwm3 Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2006
    Melbourne and London
    Full Name:
    Owner -09 California
    do TWO valves need to be changed on California, ie right hand side AND left hand side?

25. Powerflash

Powerflash Rookie

Sep 6, 2011
    #25 Powerflash, Sep 6, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
    hi guys

We have a Ferrari California as one of our company cars, and I am interested to see if members are interested in something we are in the process of doing to our own car.

The california has an exhaust flap map in the engine ECU(s) similar (but not identical) to what was posted above about the 430, and we have the ability to change the map in cars like 599, 430 (including scuderia) and California

We had a look at the differences between the exhaust flap maps in the ECU on a 430 and a 430 scuderia, and were suprized that the scud stays closed MORE than the normal 430

and just to add to the debate on the exhaust flap, the 599 has the ability to control the flap based on gear, but in unmodified form, this map to control the flap by gear is not used

Before we become a sponsor, I thought I would see if there was much interest from members

What I propose for our car is this......

Sport mode and CST Off mode - exhaust flap open at all loads, and all revs, including idle
    Comfort Mode - Exhaust flap remains unchanged

We have yet to confirm that the Manettino can control the flap in practice on the California, the ECU's are in the wheel wells behind the 'carpet' liner (and there is one on the drivers side and another on the passenger side) and are not easy to remove

But have no doubt we can control the flap in the mapping

What do people think of the idea?

I wont publish our web address or commercial details until we become a sponsor, but we have 20 years experience around the world in modifying Ferrari ECU's going back to the 348.