Best Booster Seats For the Cali "Back Seats" | FerrariChat

Best Booster Seats For the Cali "Back Seats"

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Piper, Mar 17, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #1 Piper, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
    Got a call from my dealer today, and may be close to a deal on a Cali. I can't wait to see my 4 and 6 yr olds in the back seat. Just a few years, and they won't fit anymore, so my window to experience a Cali as a family car is very brief. We're used to any booster seat we want fitting fine in our cars. I'm pretty sure the field is more limited on the Cali. Who's bought proper, safe booster seats for their children that fit the California, and what were they?

EDIT: Found this thread through Google. Any updates? http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=262777&highlight=child+seat

2. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I can't help with the seats but as the kids get older they still will fit in the back, but the driver's seat has to be moved all the way forward and the top needs to be down, look at my avatar with three adults in the car. That day we spent five hours in and out of the car in a R/C cross country sailplane event.

Rick

3. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Fair enough. Not sure how much driving I'd want to do with the seat all the way forward. Seems like something you do for the novelty once to take pictures :D I tried putting the seat all the way forward in the showroom and it got tight in a hurry.

4. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    :D I didn't say it was comfortable but I have given rides on other occasions to more than one person. Note the guy in the back seat, his head is up in the air stream and really can not hear us in front at much over 35 mph.

5. mtarvydas

mtarvydas Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2011
    On the Mountain
    Full Name:
    Martin Tarvydas
    There are no aftermarket booster seats that fit well in the back. The Ferrari booster seat is designed to work only in the front seat. I am getting a custom cushion made that will have layers so as my son grows we can lower the seat.

The other thing I did to maximize the back area was to order the CF racing seats for the front. They are razor thin compared to the other seat options and I can comfortable have an an adult in the back and front. Well, comfortably for me as I a driving :)

6. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Reading another thread on the topic, these http://us.diono.com/en/car-seats would appear to work. They're expensive, but definitely seems like they'd be worth it, safety and comfort.

Are those CF racing seats universal, work in any Ferrari? Or are they Cali specific?

7. mtarvydas

mtarvydas Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2011
    On the Mountain
    Full Name:
    Martin Tarvydas
    I am using a backless booster seat but they are square and to wide at the bottom. It is also damaging the leather as it does not sit correctly.

I think they are Cali specific. Definitely look different then 458 racing seats.

8. DutchinFL

DutchinFL Karting

Mar 28, 2011
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Collin Ziemerink
    Piper, or others,

for my 2 and 4 year old: I've tried about 10 different ones, including some I brought from The Netherlands.
    PM me and I'll give you my number so I can tell you my experience.
    I'll write up a findings page later to post.

Collin

9. arcticsilver997

arcticsilver997 Karting
    Owner

Oct 27, 2007
    Northern California
    #9 arcticsilver997, Mar 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have a 3 and 5 year old and the Cali is a perfect "family Ferrari". It's great to be able to share the experience with both kids at the same time. I have also tried many solutions but the Bubble Bum and Britax Boulevard (last generation) have worked the best so far. You can remove the seat bottom to create more space for the baby seat (width and height) and at the same time not ruin the leather. Most seats are too wide at the posterior base area and too tall (removing the seat helps). The only way I could get the baby seat in and not impinge on the roof mechanism was to not only remove the seat but to remove the base of the Britax (I am not sure you can remove the base on the latest generation Britax). This should not be a problem since it has the LATCH mechanism that secures it tightly. Most other recommendations will direct you to "European" baby seats which you can not get here in America. I also added the back seat protectors.....kids love to kick the back of the seats with dirty feet. See photos below. Hope this helps!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

sarahjones likes this.
  10. mjc_123

mjc_123 Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2010
    NYC - Long Island
    I really hope someone can take all the useful info regarding child and booster seats posted and merge it somehow and make it a sticky. it is a very common question that is repeatedly asked time and time again. I myself have been following this information and appreciate the input and experience of those who have dealt with this issue already.

11. TravisKnipe

TravisKnipe Rookie

Aug 26, 2014
    Quick question: How did you remove the rear seat base? How difficult was that? Any updated suggestions on car/child seats that work well in the Ferrari California? Thanks!

12. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    Search for the thread:

Definitive Baby/Toddler/Child Rear Seat Thread for Ferrari California

In my post last there are link to a booster that fits...

13. Super50

Super50 Rookie

Aug 31, 2014
    Wow it is really cramped back there.