Strange rattle developed | FerrariChat

Strange rattle developed

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Nautilus1, Apr 22, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nautilus1

Nautilus1 Karting

Apr 24, 2011
    NYC
    I took my car out yesterday and had the top down most of the day. When I put the roof up to drive to dinner two strange things happened. The firstbwas the trunk was open at the end of the raising cycle and the second was that therevwas a rattle that seemed to com from the back left SS if either the roof ws not fully sealed or something was moving around the trunk. Any comments would be appreciated.

2. letsgo

letsgo Karting

Oct 9, 2011
    California
    This is a known issue with the roof mechanism. Needs "realignment" is what Ferrari BH called it. One day worth of work at service and the problem is solved.

3. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    I haven't seen this come back either, once it's " corrected " the first time. Best thing, its covered under warranty as well!

GL

S

4. jasonrhcastle

jasonrhcastle Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2006
    Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Jason RH Castle
    This is interesting.

Ever since I got my Cali back from the dealer to have the new wheels and Novitec springs installed, I have had a rattle. I, at first, assumed it was from the roof mechanism. I had had the roof down a couple days in a row before I noticed it. Sounded like it was more of s squeaking noise coming from rear left. Now, I also hear it occasionally, but appears to be localizing to the front center or front right. It isn't all the times. Seems to be more with chassis flex, as I can hit a bump and there is nothing. I asked the dealer if it could come from the spring and drop, and the service manager is adamant that everything was tight and firmed up after install.

Any ideas?

J

5. letsgo

letsgo Karting

Oct 9, 2011
    California
    It also happens that I had precisely the sound you described. It turned out to be the cross bar that connects the two sides of the car in the front. The entire front dash was removed to perform this fix. In addition the tweeter covers (mesh covers in front) were removed and felt placed around them. 1 day worth of work, problem solved. It is 100% induced by chassis flex.

6. letsgo

letsgo Karting

Oct 9, 2011
    California
    #6 letsgo, Apr 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    J, give them attached work order from the service on my car. It describes your problem exactly and explains the reason it started after your mods. This will likely fix your issue. Respect.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. hotbmwm3

hotbmwm3 Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2006
    Melbourne and London
    Full Name:
    Owner -09 California
    Thanks for taking the time to scan that document

It gives "us" so much more authority to fix problems when srvice personal at a dealer see it from another dealer

It would have been easier just to say "the dealer fixed mine" without the primary source document

I bet they actually listen to the OP when he provides your printout

The dealer dosent listen to me

I asked to fix the petrol filler cap - still takes four presses to open

I asked to fix the Rear rattle we all know to be the brakes/handbrake cable - not fixed

Asked to fix the black soot issue - not fixed and won't acknowledge it's an issue and say the USA campaign is not relevant for UK cars

I Asked Will in service to follow up with details on the exhaust issue, he took my phone number and email and it's two months and no contact

Roof still creaks and moans although the warning buzzer no longer goes off

And they did replace a broken window switch, and by some miracle they got that right

Terrible experience with Will at Grey Paul in Nottingham, I hope others don't have the same experience

With BMW they call me and I have to give a rating out of 5 a couple of days after by phone

8. letsgo

letsgo Karting

Oct 9, 2011
    California

I agree. Although Ferrari BH Service works tirelessly to fix problems, the constant creaks and rattles and vibrations detracted from my experience. I have had Maserati and Ferrari. Both suffer from these build issues. My CL550 which is now the daily driver has not a single rattle or other noise. The priorities are different between the two nationalities of manufacturers.

BTW I'll take this opportunity to opine about the "daily" drivability of the Cali or any Ferrari for that matter. I love the car, BUT it isn't a daily driver. Multiple reasons: can't put miles on it, horrible sat-nav (cheap, archaic, not integrated with the car, can't input phone numbers (!!!!) ), creaks/rattles, ostentatious. This is an elegant and lovely and seductive and beautiful weekend cruiser that turns heads. But not a daily driver. IMO anyone expecting otherwise might be disappointed.

9. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Interesting, I have a 2012 CL550 that I only drive to park at the airport or to haul multiple R/C airplanes to the flying field, otherwise my 2012 California is my daily driver and can haul one or two sailplanes to the R/C field. Yes, the sat radio reception is crap and the Cali is not as comfortable as the CL550, and the CL550 goes like stink (great) but the Cali goes like hell (really great) and of course is a Ferrari.

Rick

10. jasonrhcastle

Aug 27, 2006
    Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Jason RH Castle
    I use my Cali fairly regularly now. At least 3-4 days/week. Have no issues with drivability as a daily. Even put my 4.5 and 2.5 year olds in it.

MAG, the dealership that Rick and I use, is fantastic. Ron, service manager, said they would pick it up, fix and bring it back without issue.

Am gonna email him a copy of that work order.

Thanks SO much!

J

11. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    I have put over 800 miles on my Cali in 3 months and it is far superior as a DD than my 911. My master service technician Aaron is fabulous, the service department is excellent (I had a brand new Audi s4 as a loaner), and the one clacking noise I had was resolved. Today it was raining so I drove my F10 5-series to work and there is no comparison between the two.

12. Nautilus1

Nautilus1 Karting

Apr 24, 2011
    NYC
    The svc manager seemd to know exactly what i was talking about and will pick up the car Fri to do the necessary work. I cant complain abt the level of svc bec they have been AWESOME. I guess this is the price you pay for having an F car. My Porsche used to get issues from time to time. The dealer on that was great too. It doesnt put me off teh car but does tell me i will likely pay to extend the warranty when it ends. Thx for the input guys. Will let you know how it works out.

13. letsgo

letsgo Karting

Oct 9, 2011
    California
    You know, I agree completely. I love the Ferrari. It's just that on the hard roads of LA cabin noise can wear on you when in a performance car.

That said, I ordered a new MY2013 Cali last week with the HS package. Pulled out of the FF which is also lovely but wife not on same page. Liquidated the 2012 at basically no loss. So cabin noise or not, daily driver or not, the car speaks for itself. Please pardon the occasional vent. Peace.

14. Nautilus1

Nautilus1 Karting

Apr 24, 2011
    NYC
    The child seat was getting in the way of the roof motion. They realigned the mechanism and I drove from NYC to bridgehampton and there was zero noise. Thanks for all your help!!!

15. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Glad to hear the news.

Child seat. I do not have one for my 360. :cool:

16. jasonrhcastle

Aug 27, 2006
    Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Jason RH Castle
    Yeah... Roof mechanism was the problem here as well. Should be back to me tomorrow. My kids are in boosters. Shouldn't be an issue going forward I hope.

Thanks!

Jason