Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Model Specific Discussions > California

Share/Bookmark LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2013, 03:08 PM
Rookie
Rossa Subscribed

Problems getting parts for California

Greeting from Germany,

my California got a hit in the rear and the trunk lid had a cut so it must be replaced.
The problem here in Germany is that I am waiting now for3 weeks to get this part and Ferraris can not deliver this part or can tell me when it will be available. Come on - this is a car still in production, not a rare vintgage Ferrari.
How is the experience with getting spare parts in the US?
I never had such problems with my other cars (Maserati, Jaguar, BMW).
I know that all the big companies don´t have huge spare parts facilities any more but the y should at least be able to give me a quote when the can send the trunk lid.
Or did they stop producing the California because of low demand ;-) ?

I wrote this to get rid of my frustration, spring is arriving and I am now without the Cali.
So I have to take the old SS 100, it is probably easier to get spare parts for the old Jag.

Cheers,

Guenter
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 03-04-2013, 06:06 PM
Rookie
Non Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasthufi View Post
Greeting from Germany,

my California got a hit in the rear and the trunk lid had a cut so it must be replaced.
The problem here in Germany is that I am waiting now for3 weeks to get this part and Ferraris can not deliver this part or can tell me when it will be available. Come on - this is a car still in production, not a rare vintgage Ferrari.
How is the experience with getting spare parts in the US?
I never had such problems with my other cars (Maserati, Jaguar, BMW).
I know that all the big companies don´t have huge spare parts facilities any more but the y should at least be able to give me a quote when the can send the trunk lid.
Or did they stop producing the California because of low demand ;-) ?

I wrote this to get rid of my frustration, spring is arriving and I am now without the Cali.
So I have to take the old SS 100, it is probably easier to get spare parts for the old Jag.

Cheers,

Guenter
Gunter, I dont Know how Ferrari is working in the USA , but in Spain is week to week. You request a piece and to the following week you have appointment.

Good Luck.

Paul.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:07 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Martin Tarvydas
No idea if this applies but some parts are sized and then matched to your VIN. I changed my center console to a Carbon Fibre one and it took 6 weeks as it had to be matched to my car's exact specs. I assume this is part of a hand crafted car.

But boy, that sounds like a very expensive insurance repair. I hope you have depreciated value coverage.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:33 AM
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed

My Garage
While I have not had issue with my california , I do know that my friend rear ended a car in his new 458 and the entire front sheet metal was replaced along with most of the front sub frame . He was told that Ferrari would only supply parts to this car if he used one of three Ferrari approved body shops in the USA (i assume since it was under warranty ) so once it was sent to the approved shop the car was completed and returned to him in about 4 weeks . This was in the usa . THe parts came in almost within days and he was given weekly updates with pictures which he showed me . I was very surprised to see the level of work done to the car, how quickly the parts were supplied. I asked him to check the car fax and the accident did show up.
LarryH
Old 03-05-2013, 01:38 PM
Rookie
Rossa Subscribed

Hi,

I don´t have a problem with the accident. The insurance of the car that ran into my Cali will pay for everything including the compensation for the lower value.
The problem I have is with Ferrari itself. They cannot provide body parts for the California. They don´t even tell when they could be available.
It would be not such a problem if Ferrari can tell me the parts will be available in three or four weeks but they don´t even know this or cannot give this information.
This is a car still in production so there should be spare parts available.
So drive careful with your Ferrraris. If there is an accident you will probably get no parts for a long time.

Cheers,

Guenter
Old 03-05-2013, 02:55 PM
F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Jon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtarvydas View Post
No idea if this applies but some parts are sized and then matched to your VIN. I changed my center console to a Carbon Fibre one and it took 6 weeks as it had to be matched to my car's exact specs. I assume this is part of a hand crafted car...
The panels for these cars are stamped out in quantity like any modern car produced in the thousands. Ferrari stopped hand-shaping body panels around the time the 348 was launched, maybe earlier (robots came along with 348 production).

My guess is that Ferrari has a shortage on the trunk lids and the delay is due to getting another batch run.

Quote:
Greeting from Germany,

... I wrote this to get rid of my frustration, spring is arriving and I am now without the Cali.

Cheers,

Guenter
SS 100 is a beautiful car, and you're probably right about the spares. Although body panels would be a challenge, I imagine.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:01 PM
Formula Junior
Non Subscribed

Full Name: Owner -09 California
Is it just the aluminium part of the trunk that's on order or does it including roof folding elements

My understanding from watching the tv show that shows how a California is made is that Webasto ships the entire trunk assembly (with all the roof folding hydraulics installed as one big assembly)

So that might contribute to why there is a delay
Old 03-05-2013, 07:29 PM
Rookie
Non Subscribed

Full Name: Jackie
TV Show

Curious to know where and when you found the show on making the Cali.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 03-05-2013, 11:59 PM
Rookie
Rossa Subscribed

Hi

it is not the folding top assembly it is just the trunk lid, rear bumper and diffusor.

Quote:
"The panels for these cars are stamped out in quantity like any modern car produced in the thousands. Ferrari stopped hand-shaping body panels around the time the 348 was launched, maybe earlier (robots came along with 348 production)."

This is completely unromantic. I thought the panels are formed on the thighs of Italian virgins. The problem is probably that since Berlusconi was in charge of Italy Ferrari cannot find any virgins .-)

Cheers,

Guenter
Old 03-06-2013, 01:26 AM
Formula Junior
Sponsor

Full Name: John Borchelt
Love the Italians

It sometimes can take a LONG time for parts to show up. Production has priority over spares (so I've been told). It took us four months to get some 458 spider parts and over two months to get some RHD specific parts. And Itlay does not seem to respond to complaints about delivery time. Good Luck!
Facebook - www.facebook.com/pages/MAcarbon/197235329323
Blog - www.macarbon.com/blog/
Twitter - www.twitter.com/macarbon
Old 03-06-2013, 02:47 PM
Formula Junior
Non Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC 10 View Post
Curious to know where and when you found the show on making the Cali.
The video is here

How It's Made - Luxury Sports Cars (Ferrari California) - YouTube

The roof assembly is fitted before the trunk lid

And in the video it shows the trunk lid being painted with the rest of the car

So the folding roof mechanism really shouldn't have an effect on the time the OP is waiting fir a trunk lid
Old 03-06-2013, 09:32 PM
F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Jon
Quote:
... I thought the panels are formed on the thighs of Italian virgins. The problem is probably that since Berlusconi was in charge of Italy Ferrari cannot find any virgins .-)

Cheers,

Guenter
Some virgins must remain, because Berlusconi seems determined to get back into office.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:47 PM
Formula Junior
Non Subscribed

I usually get a warning from the moderator for making a political analogy.

Given your remark is about Italian politics you probably won't be contacted

Whenever I make a remark about a US politician it usually gets noticed

Would be great to get a moderator in the Cali forum that didn't just issue parking tickets
Old 03-07-2013, 04:52 AM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Florian
Günther, whats your dealer? I'm sure there are fast guys and others...
Old 03-07-2013, 01:51 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Mark Collins
Quote:
Hi

This is completely unromantic. I thought the panels are formed on the thighs of Italian virgins. The problem is probably that since Berlusconi was in charge of Italy Ferrari cannot find any virgins .-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfighter View Post
Some virgins must remain, because Berlusconi seems determined to get back into office.

These made me laugh a lot
Old 03-07-2013, 02:06 PM
Rookie
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo400 View Post
Günther, whats your dealer? I'm sure there are fast guys and others...
Hi Florian,

The dealer is in Frankfurt and they try really hard to get the parts.

Guenter
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 03-07-2013, 03:13 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Adrian Bogacki
Quote:
Hi Florian,

The dealer is in Frankfurt and they try really hard to get the parts.

Guenter
Ahhh, you mean Ferrari Ulrich. The worlds best Ferrari dealer: JOURNAL FRANKFURT Nachrichten - Der beste Ferrari-Verkäufer der Welt - Zum Dank gibt’s 'nen Schlitten von Alonso | www.journal-frankfurt.de
So the dealer would be not the Problem. It must be really hard for your dealer to get the parts.