Possible way to add accessory brake light functionality to trunk lid lights | FerrariChat

Possible way to add accessory brake light functionality to trunk lid lights

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by MalibuGuy, Mar 4, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    #1 MalibuGuy, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
    First I would not touch the existing lighting system on the bumper at all.
    This would be a mistake in my mind for a variety of reasons.

I would buy another third brake light assembly and open it up and take out some of the LeD lights which appear to be of different sizes.

Then I would remove the round trunk light and open it, the red cover, to get to the actual up LEDs. Now you should add the individual LEDs from the third brake light you already dismantled. Figure out the pattern you want and glue them in or drill holes and mount them.(I wouldn't remove any existing trunk light LEDs because the daytime and nightime running function is important .)

Then you need to wire each led to the plug that came with the whole third brake light .
    Then graft that to the existing third brake light and now it should work

Personally I wouldn't try to do this because it would be a total hassle

But I think this approach should work--LEDs don't pull much current

2. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    The trunk lighting on the California serves as the third brake light, so any mods would have to conform to the illumination standards in the FMVSS; there are also maximum limits to those standards (so you can't have klieg lights installed, etc.). In the State of California, any light for the brakes has to put out at least 85% of its design illumination in the CA Vehicle Code (CVC 24252) and be visible in normal conditions to 300 feet. For the full text of the Federal Law, Google 49 CFR 571.108 (this is the common Section 108 people refer to). This reading is also good if you can't sleep, but not as much if you are pondering the meaning of life and then realize how much time regulators took to make this section as unreadable and byzantine as possible...

California's car culture probably drives it to have the most comprehensive state laws on the matter, so they are a good guide elsewhere in the US. Rule of thumb would be that you could modify the lighting to enhance brightness (LED's are much brighter with the same wattage than incandescent bulbs; for instance, replacing one 100-watt incandescent would take about two 5-watt LED), but that when you activate the light, folks shouldn't wince when they are behind you. You can work with the charts in the FMVSS to ensure brightness, angle of illumination, etc. if you want to ensure things are legal.

Most likely, get a guy who knows about vehicle lighting and they will be able to interpret the current and proposed installations to see if they would cause any problems (they'd use less electricity no matter what).

Sorry for the complexity of the response; this is the simple version...

Bob H

3. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Not sure if it is indeed true but my salesman at FOO told me there are limits to "how many" brake lights a car can display. So while we may not be messing with the existing lights, adding 2 more brake lights might be problematic in the eyes of the law.

Surely, the aftermarket lights people must have dealt with this issue before. I am tempted to check this out but my car hasn't even arrived yet!

Michael

4. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Yes I agree with what you have said.

The engineers at Ferrari spent a god deal of time looking at the best way to design the lighting while meeting the requirements.

The third brake light is actually quite long --I think it is about three feet wide. And as Bob pointed out, the addition of the third brake light has really improved the reaction time and thereby reduced the rear end accidents.

So having the Cali's long centrally located third brake light is actually more effective than the two round lights on the trunk lid anyway.

After thinking about things- I don't think the Cali's rear lighting needs to be redone at all.

Of course if people start getting rear ended due to the following driver not perceiving the brake lights then that would be a different story.

5. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The more I examine the Cali's backend, the more I appreciate how well the designers incorporated both a traditional Ferrari look as well as a well-coordinated statement for the California design.

The very effective centre brake light strip was always meant to be there and is wonderfully incorporated into a subtle and perfectly-proportioned lip spoiler that retains the elegance of the Cali's design.

Looking down, the lower (probably added later) dual brake lights are very cleverly hidden away in the corners of the black lower lip panel of the trunk lid. When they are not lit, you don't notice them at all and it keeps the backend tidy and traditional Ferrari. I think it's absolutely brilliant!

BTW, Wikipedia has an interesting write-up on brake lights, amongst other lighting trivia:

Automotive lighting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Michael

6. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    #6 MalibuGuy, Mar 31, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
    Here is video of the Cali. It shows what the existing brake light look like in use. Remember that the person taking the video was standing up and so it is from a higher perspective than a seated position in a following car.

You can decide for yourself if you think they are inadequate and need modification.

BLUE Ferrari California BRUTAL Accelerations in Full throttle - YouTube

7. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    I think he has the DRLs on or at least the side marker lights thus making the round rear lights appear to be working with the brakes.

Great looking car. Love that Vintage Package. Interesting that all those parts are painted and not plated.

8. TCrow

TCrow Rookie

Jul 27, 2015
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    Trey
    I don't an issue so much with the Brake lights because there is the 3rd light in the trunk deck, however doesn't anyone have a much greater concern that the rear turn signal is only in the lower bumper? In close traffic or at lights...a person directly behind cannot see the rear turn signal. I would certainly be in for a mod if someone creates it. The turn signal is the greatest issue I see.

9. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The person behind you is the one least actionable to your turn signal designation. Those across from you in an intersection and adjacent at an intersection need to know your intentions, but if the person behind you is so close as not to be able to see your turn signal, there really isn't any information being withheld that would cause an action from them anyway...

10. TCrow

TCrow Rookie

Jul 27, 2015
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    Trey
    Thanks Udaverea. Unfortunately I doubt everyone behind me has the same quick logic as you and close is at a light and/or rush hour. If I want to change lanes quickly in a rush hour scenario...the person to my immediate left just behind isn't looking at the ground to see my turn signal. It's not a desirable...or typical position for a U.S. car. Definitely a poor design option. I'm surprised with as many complaints regarding this that Ferrari didn't take notice or care enough to re-design for the new Cali-T. Regardless of "book" logic which is not wrong (just not daily reality) ...I would certainly like to have an option. However...thanks for the response Udaverea.

11. Robertus

Robertus Formula Junior

Apr 20, 2010
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Its a little disappointing they have take away the option of have the rear parking light on when driving during the day with the Cali T. On the old Cali you could have the front leds on at the same time as the rear lights, but now you can only have the front leds on.

The only way now is to turn the main lights on (low beam during the day) for the front leds & rear lights to be on at the same time.

12. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    That's what I do, basic daytime running lights, to get the rears on.