Leather on top of dashboard vents damaged | FerrariChat

Leather on top of dashboard vents damaged

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by SciFrog, Mar 25, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    Anyone having problems with all of them becoming undone and looking like they had been all stretched? All of them are doing it after storage this winter...

Also I found three little plastic clips undone inside one of the headlight...

2. Nautilus1

Nautilus1 Karting

Apr 24, 2011
    NYC
    Been having the same issue which has been a saga with both FNA and my dealer. It's not coming off but they are rippling. Been having a hard time getting anyone to honor anything. Let me know how it goes....I may use you as an example,

3. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    It is an 09 so out of warranty... How much they want to charge you?

4. TheMalibuDriver

TheMalibuDriver Karting

Mar 26, 2013
    Malibu
    Full Name:
    Aka Malibuguy
    Can we see a picture of the headlight with the plastic clips that are broken.

5. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    No pic handy, sorry, but if you look at the headlight, there are several tiny plastic pegs sticking out of the lamps inside the outside shell. Three fell down...

6. Nautilus1

Nautilus1 Karting

Apr 24, 2011
    NYC
    I was told FNA didn't want to honor it bec it was just how the weather was wearing in. My dealer is afraid bec they said they woud honor it BUT that they would have to dismantle the entire dash and that it might rattle when they put it back together. So it wasn't abt cost as much as what it would do to the car. I LOVE the Ferrari but these little things def give me pause if I want to get another one. I kinda surrendered and took a dealer letter saying they would fix it if it split.

7. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I think it would help if someone posted a photo. A phone camera does a decent-enough job.

8. Nautilus1

Nautilus1 Karting

Apr 24, 2011
    NYC
    And I'm 2k miles away....

9. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Must be frustrating for you. But how does an NYC "garage queen"(?) end up with "wrinkles" or ripples? I wonder if SciFrog's car is also located in a cooler climate. I would have thought hot humid weather would be more likely to cause movement in the leather. Curious.

10. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    My car has been in storage all winter after Sandy... And the battery is dead. I can't get to it very easily, sorry for no pic... I am in NYC too, so same dealer I assume (LI)... That is bad news...

11. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    SciFrog, is your car also stored at the dealer like Nautilus1's? If the damage was not there before you stored your cars then it must have occurred due to the storage conditions because no one else has reported similar damage. There may be an issue with the conditions at the storage facility.

Leather would "move" or crack if it got wet and then dried out too quickly. I don't suppose those areas of the dashboard got wet by any chance, did they? If it got very humid for a very long period and then someone quickly dried out the place, then the leather may crack.

12. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    No, different storage. Never got humid, however it might have been a bit cold...

13. Nautilus1

Nautilus1 Karting

Apr 24, 2011
    NYC
    I think the reason for the rippling is that during the summer condensation from the AC got into the leather and then it dried in the sun. I have my car back and will take pics today. I don't know how to post but if you pm me I would be happy to send. Ripples or not I'm taking it out for a drive today!

14. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hi Nautilus1, your deduction seems plausible but I'm concerned that they would shrink so much that they actually rip. I would like to have a look. Posting photos on FChat requires them to be no bigger than 800 pixels in either length or height. If you need help resizing photos I can do that for you.

I would suggest you go to a high end detailer and see what they think caused the damage and have them suggest what they can do for you. You should speak with the dealer after you have a thorough grasp of the possible causes and solutions. In the meantime I would avoid parking it in the sun.

15. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    Please PM the pics if you can. I have not sent the car out yet... How much did the dealer charge? Tks

16. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    Leather dashes take special care, and the Ferrari one is no exception. You have to be VERY careful that no liquids (or improper cleaners) get to it. And most importantly, CONDITION THE LEATHER REGULARLY! This step is missed by many owners. In addition, it's also VERY important to minimize direct sunlight exposure, so a sunshade is a must when parked outside... from brand new folks. I personally use Leatherique rejuvenation oil when new and every year thereafter, and Prestine clean (which is also a mild conditioner) in-between. Once lifted or damaged in any way, removing the dash is the only way to fix it properly. And you DO NOT want to go thru that. I'd attempt a specialty shop fix, even if not perfect; MUCH better than having to remove the dash. Good luck OP, and keep us posted.

17. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    What do you use/suggest for conditioning?

18. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    I know for a fact my car has never slept outside a garage...

19. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    I've tried everything, and the best product IMO is Leatherique. Not that it might be superior to others as far as the conditioning abilities, but ALL others leave a residue on the dash and doors that drives me nuts. I like the leather there to look smooth and even, under any lighting condition. Not 'blotched' all over the place. I apply their 'Rejuvenator Oil' when new, and once a year thereafter. And their 'Prestine Cleaner', which also has mild conditioners, in-between. When you use the oil, you need to clean it with the Prestine. That's what actually leaves the leather smooth-looking, so you could buy just that one, and use another conditioner. It's quite inexpensive if you buy the large 32-oz bottle (which I do, for all my vehicles). Hope this helps.

Did you buy the car new? If so, for how long did it sit at the dealer? And was it outside? Sometimes the factory might not do a great job at installing it, meaning there might not be the proper amount of adhesive underneath (or none at all in some areas). But even if that's the case, leather is a natural product that requires frequent conditioning, and even with proper care, it'll never lasts as long as a vinyl dash. That's why it's not really suitable for a daily driver IMO. It's rare for dealers to grant a 'goodwill' warranty claim out of warranty since they don't know how the leather was cared for. But on a Ferrari, with an out-of-warranty mileage of what most people put in a few months, should be different IMO. Hope you succeed with your claim. Please keep us posted. And yes, leather dashes look pretty, but I'm always worried about bubbles and such defects. Good luck.

20. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    Looks like around $1k for the leather damage. Oh well...

21. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Sorry to hear that but it doesn't seem too much if done perfectly. It'll certainly reward you at resale time.

22. ConnyF

ConnyF Karting

Jun 27, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Conny
    Is it possible to mark that section on a photo?

Thanks in advance!

23. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    Sorry no pic. The car is at the dealer. He says he can change the headlight ($4k) or will pick up the pieces from the bulb hole and not replace them... He mentioned they could be LED bulbs...

24. RMDMAN

RMDMAN Rookie

Jun 28, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ron L
    Have you tried calling Color-Glo or a similar for the leather repair? They are known for these kind of repairs.
    Good Luck

25. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    Got the car back, and we we are, three weeks later, with none of the problems fixed...

In the headlight there are three small LED coming from the side markers dangling. Can't they just be put back? The dealer want to change the whole headlight at my expense of course.

The dealer offered to refinish the vent pieces with a spray on plastic finish. That is creative but really, replace leather with plastic? The alternative is to remove the whole dash to put the leather pieces back yet again at my (high) expense and most likely major rattles issues in the future.