Battery charger not turning green. Am I the only one? | FerrariChat

Battery charger not turning green. Am I the only one?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by ELP_JC, May 4, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    This has happened several times already. Before, it only happened when I left the trunk not fully closed (as not to damage the weatherstripping with the cable), even though as you all know, the trunk light goes out after a while. Don't like to leave the charger connected after it turns green for more than a few hours, but don't like to worry the battery might get overcharged and explode. So far the charger hasn't feel warm, like when it's charging, so it might be just the LEDs acting up or something. Well, decided to fully close the trunk to charge the battery, and it turned green for a while. But the other day it didn't after being connected for over a day, and I know it takes less than a day to fully charge. Wondering if this happens to others, making it 'normal'. Or if something is wrong with the charger. Also have a CTEK Mus 4.3 for the other cars, and it's a lot better than this thing, but it's not that easy to hook it up directly to the battery. Curious to hear if others have the same issue. Thanks.

2. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Mine turns green within a reasonable time and stays that way unless I open a door or otherwise consume current. I am not worried about overcharging, as the OEM charger is made to be plugged in for extended periods. I think there may be something wrong with yours.

3. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    OK, so I'm a dunce, and have to ask...

I plug in my charger and run the cable out of the trunk (I have that much down, I think). The trunk does not fully close and latch on its own, and I have not tried to push on it to close it fully. My fear is I'd warp the weatherstrip, damage the charger, etc.

I tend to break things at least twice before I figure them out, but am trying a new tactic of actually asking people with the Ferrari. Should I force it fully closed until it latches? If I don't, is the drain on the charger significant enough to make a difference?

I usually drive it every few days at minimum anyway, but have plugged it in when we go out of town. While we're at it, I can't recall the light being green at the end, either. Its a 2012; didn't know if there is a difference in the chargers for earlier years.

Thanks, Bob H

4. Homerclese

Homerclese Rookie

Jun 16, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    I used to be worried about damaging the charger cable too, but my dealer explained that the rubber seal around the boot (trunk) would prevent any damage to the cable. I was also advised to run the cable in the corners instead of the middle of the trunk. I've had no issues in almost a year of using it.

5. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    ^^
    Same with me. I just keep the cable out of the way of the latches.

The charger cycles from orange to green to orange back to green periodically.

OP are you closing the trunk and locking the doors. Perhaps the car does not disable as many systems if its left unlocked, thereby continuing to impose a "vampire drain" on the battery. My P-cars manual advises to lock the car for that reason.

6. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I park my car in my garage so I always leave the trunk lid loosely closed, with the latch(es) not actually engaged. The cable is not pressed hard against the door opening. I've only had the car for a week but the battery tender works fine, light goes green after a few hours. No issues with my not actually shutting the trunk lid all the way.

I've used battery tenders for 10 years now, previously in my Bimmers. They are designed to be plugged in permanently, and should not overcharge or overheat your battery. If your charger's light never goes green even after several days of charging you might want to check the condition of your battery or verify that the charger is working (making sure it's properly plugged into the car).

The Ferrari unit looks like the CTEK 3300 but has a special connector that disables the car's starter so you can't drive off with the thing still attached to its rear end!

7. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    What he said ^^^^

8. CC 10

CC 10 Rookie

Oct 20, 2012
    St Louis
    Full Name:
    Jackie
    I agree with 4th Gear. When I first got my gently used Cali the battery tender would never turn green no matter how long I left it plugged in. Dealer checked it and said to replace the battery and now it all works properly.

9. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    battery tender makes a cigarette adaptor. very simple. very cheap.
    ed

10. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    OK, I followed the advice re changing how I use the charger. I plugged it in, closed the trunk fully and locked the doors. Left it cooking for 4 days and it still shows red with the middle light illuminated (not fully charged). It starts and runs fine, though. I took it in last month to deal with a minor issue, and the battery was OK re amps at that time. I'll probably just watch it and replace it at the two-year mark when I get my annual service done for peace of mind. The car sat for 5 months between the first owner and me, so the battery most likely just drained more than it should during that time. On a brighter note, I spent a couple hours this morning washing and waxing the car, so it looks fantastic. Thanks for the insight here, Bob H

11. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    I've done it both ways, but with the same result: light never turns green. So that has nothing to do with it. And I used to charge it with the car unlocked before, and it went green. I'm guessing the charger is acting up. My fear is when it's red, that it keeps charging the battery even when it's fully charged. And that could make it explode. But as I said before, it doesn't seem to be overcharging it, even when the light remains red. Weird.

Great to know; thanks. And also great to know the starter is disabled with the charger connected; learned something new today :D.

That's exactly my issue. I bet our chargers are defective or something.

Bottom line is there's no need to fully close the trunk to charge the battery folks. I much rather not close it, since the weatherstripping can be damaged if left with the cable squeezing it for too long. Just my opinion. Plus all lights (including the trunk one) go out after about 10 minutes. Thanks a bunch for all your help. Greatly appreciated.

12. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #12 4th_gear, May 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You know, you might correct.

I found this earlier FChat thread discussing the same problem.

One of the posters also mentioned that if you disconnect the battery tender from the AC while leaving it connected to the battery, it will discharge the battery. Others indicated the problematic Ferrari battery tender they had for their older FCars was a CTEK US 800. However upon my checking, it appears the charger for our California is actually a CTEK US 3300, a better unit (see lower left in photo).

The battery tender may in fact be working properly and indicating a problem elsewhere. I found this trouble-shooting guide for the CTEK US 3300 and I suspect it does apply to our Ferrari units. It appears slightly more comprehensive than the troubleshooting instructions in the Ferrari battery tender instructions booklet. You may want to check this out before discounting the battery tender.

Good luck and let us know how you make out!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    It is really simple, plug in the Ferrari charger, close the trunk lid, plug in power to the charger. That is pretty simple, and it works. Leaving the trunk lid open is you problem.

Rick

14. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #14 4th_gear, May 11, 2013
    Don't be silly. You're unnecessarily wearing out the weather stripping.

Here's a photo of my battery tender connected taken moments ago. It has always looked like this - green charge status indicating FULLY CHARGED and lower orange status light showing CONNECTED TO BATTERY.

No lights on in the trunk or the car. It's just a trunk (boot) Rick.

15. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    I agree. Besides, as I mentioned, charger has turned green before without locking the trunk. Will try the reconditioning mode with the CTEK MUS4.3. Then connect the Ferrari one a day later, and see if it turns green. Corvettes come with the same charger as the Ferrari; I ditched it right away. It's a cheap version of a 'real' 3300, which has several modes to choose from. I chose the 4.3MUS because it has the reconditioning and motorcycle modes.

If after trying the above the red light remains lit, will just install either a 4.3MUS or BT+ pigtail directly to the battery, and use one of those chargers instead. But want to eliminate the battery as the problem first... which it could very well be. Thank you for the suggestion 4th_gear; will keep you posted.

16. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    Both our cars (458 and FF) have been reliable with the tenders (note, tenders, NOT "chargers"). These are CTEK OEMs, and they cycle back and forth as you would expect....it's supposed to shift between green and amber.

We plug them in, close the door/hatch fully, and they work. Route the cable properly and no damage to weatherstripping or cable.

I do not know if leaving a door/boot lid open creates any parasitic draw, I would tend to believe so and keep things closed and latched (have left doors and hatches ajar on other cars only to have dead batteries in morning, even with interior lights that timed out)

ONLY way to know if your battery is toast is to put it on a (real) battery tester....these CTEKS are not testers. Our 458 had a bad battery at delivery, it happens. Next time in shop, have them test the battery. I am unsure if a dealer can test a tender, but if it's under warranty....

17. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    I guess I'm just easily pleased, but it was a source of happiness that after leaving the charger plugged in for a week, my car finally got a green light (wasn't sure if the charger itself was broken...). Whew, after all this, I'm hoping for a repeat performance of the charger so I don't have to get a new battery. Thanks to all here with their insights and experiences, Bob H

18. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thanks for the update Bob, that's great news!

Just keep an eye on how the battery tender operates. That green light should come back on within a few hours at most if you reconnect the charger after every trip.

19. Kemjen

Kemjen Rookie

May 18, 2013
    Please advise why after disconnecting the tender/charger on my 2007 550, the power windows and the Ferrari 550 display both works, but no other power comes on, not the seats, the stereo or any other dash displays. The owners manual says to adjust the clock and wait 30 seconds with the key in position II for the self-learning/cylinder system to work, however, regardless of how long I wait, I get no additional power. Any insight and/or a fix would be appreciated. Thanks, Keith J.

20. myphillylawyer

myphillylawyer Karting

Feb 4, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Dean
    As someone has already said this component is a battery tender or also known as a trickle charger. It communicates with the battery and only charges when the battery's charge drops below optimum levels. Once it tops off the charge it shuts off and stops feeding a charge to the battery. I am not aware of any harm that will come to your battery no matter how long you leave it connected. It certainly isn't going to blow anything up unless you have it connected to a block of C4! hahahaha....

However, I am concerned that it took you an entire week to have your tender go green. That was a seriously depleted battery and I for one would therefore have it checked and replaced if necessary.

I am unsure about other models but my 458 had specific instructions to route the tender out the lower corner of the leading edge of the passenger door and there was a specific spot where it would click into place and not trouble the weatherstrip.

Its always somewhat humorous that Ferrari owners can do something well enough to accumulate enough expendable capital to buy the car in the first place but can't figure out the simplest crap (or perhaps just worry needlessly over the simplest crap) regarding their cars.

21. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    One of the issues that has arisen in my experience dealing with the vagaries of Ferrari ownership is that the documents they provide (e.g., owner's manual, etc.) are so uninformative, they are close to useless. I can figure out how to start, shift and steer the car pretty much on my own. I have an entire book dedicated to my nav and radio, but they did not include some of the basics one might expect for the routine care and maintenance, troubleshooting, and other things that arise here. When it gets to the minutia (like battery tenders) I can plug and play, but my intuition does not survive beyond the first level of knowledge.

I sincerely appreciate the help of those who can guide me, even when they might be irritated at my lack of acumen. For instance, I'm also still unsure how to unfasten the floormats if that gives you a sense of how feckless my technical expertise might be. I have yet to crawl down to explore it from the underside to ensure I don't yank the fastener loose from the floor when removing the mat; perhaps the truth will unveil itself when I do. If not, I'll confess to ineptitude and ask folks here.

I write for a living, and also read translated text, so I'm aware of the nuances of going from Italian to English (I can only imagine what they do for German, French and other languages). Given the cost of the car, and its inherent finickiness, I'm reluctant to try something that would translate to an expensive fix if I broke a part or damaged an assembly. If Ferrari kept a FAQ (which this board serves as in many instances) we would have official guidance instead of ad hoc trial and error. That does not appear to be in their plans, though, so I'll scour these strings for an answer to my mysteries. Thus, the questions... Thanks, Bob H

22. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Bob, I totally agree.

As for floor mats, the fasteners on my car snap into place. There is a male half on the floor, and the corresponding female half is on the other side of the circular fastener you see on the top rear portion of the mat. Of course, Ferrari being Ferrari, the snaps on the fasteners come in multiple sizes, so if you buy a new one or get new mats, you are not guaranteed they will fit the existing male fasteners. To make it worse, I'm told some cars don't have snap fasteners but a twist type, noted by a slot in the round fastener on the mat.

23. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #23 4th_gear, May 19, 2013
    Last edited: May 19, 2013
    I presume you mean you disconnected your battery tender AFTER it indicated a full charge had been reached. At any rate, the battery in your car is definitely very weak, not supplying sufficient current. Possible problems may include:

- bad charger or/and flaw somewhere in the charging circuitry
    - battery was too deeply discharged for battery tender/car charging circuit to recharge
    - parasitic draw
    - bad battery
    - more than one of the above

Regardless of where the fault originates, your battery is still weak and should be either recharged or replaced. You must begin with a full battery even if the fault lies elsewhere.

Given the electrical symptoms you indicated in spite of having used the battery tender, I think you need to take the car in. Any testing you do yourself only gives you some information but you can't fix the problem yourself unless it's only the battery that is faulty. A depleted car battery that is 4 years old or older is definitely a candidate for replacement and your garage will let you know if that's the case.

So if you car starts I would turn off every unnecessary electrical function and carefully drive it to your service shop - do it on a warm dry day with plenty of daylight for the drive :). If it doesn't start and if you can manage accessing the battery, I would call your Ferrari service shop and see if they can guide you through removing the battery and bringing it in to have it tested and recharged or replaced. Once the car starts again, you can drive it to the garage to get the car fully checked out.

24. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #24 4th_gear, May 19, 2013
    No need to feel feckless or inept about it. The documentation is inadequate in many instances and most people would be worried about breaking something given the often ridiculous cost of FParts.

Since I have to get new mats anyway, I took a look and made some photos. The mats in my '13 California are fastened by simple snap-on buttons.

25. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    a good indicator for battery condition is the electric clock... clocks are senstitve to low voltage and will lose time if the battery voltage is out of spec... the more a battery is out of spec the more time will be lost... if resetting the clock becomes irritating and using a battery tender... it is time to get a fresh battery