How to remove Cali rear seat cushion? Need help! | FerrariChat

How to remove Cali rear seat cushion? Need help!

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by drjon, Aug 18, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. drjon

drjon Karting

Apr 30, 2004
    Los Angeles,CA
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Hi all,

I am trying to figure out how to remove the rear seat cushion to get a better fit for my daughter's booster seat. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Jon

Gio8277 likes this.
  2. scriber17

scriber17 Karting

Oct 30, 2008
    Manhattan, NYC
    Full Name:
    Tang
    I'd like to know as well as the toddler seat I have won't clear the roof. Hoping removing the rear seat base will give it a couple of inches of vertical room.

3. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    Search the forum. Several option of boosters available... I tried a few and found good ones...

4. scriber17

scriber17 Karting

Oct 30, 2008
    Manhattan, NYC
    Full Name:
    Tang
    Thanks, but I'm actually asking for help with removing the rear seat bases. Appreciate the input though.

5. Elmar

Elmar Rookie

Mar 17, 2013
    Germany
    #5 Elmar, Feb 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. scriber17

scriber17 Karting

Oct 30, 2008
    Manhattan, NYC
    Full Name:
    Tang
    Have you done this before? Or can someone confirm because it seems like there is a tab at the front of the seat. I can get the back loose but there seems to be something secured toward the front other than Velcro. I don't want to bend or break anything.

7. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    #7 isuk, Feb 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. scriber17

scriber17 Karting

Oct 30, 2008
    Manhattan, NYC
    Full Name:
    Tang
    Perfect, exactly what I needed. Looks like I need to push it toward the back to unhook the latches. Thanks!

9. scriber17

scriber17 Karting

Oct 30, 2008
    Manhattan, NYC
    Full Name:
    Tang
    Ok, can't seem to get it unhooked. The front lip of the seat is preventing me from pushing it to the back to unhook. Should I be pulling up on the front of the seat while pushing it to the back?

10. Brumma

Brumma Karting

Jan 24, 2015
    West Hollywood, CA
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    #10 Brumma, May 12, 2015
    Last edited: May 12, 2015
    Resurrecting an old thread to ask a related question... Seems the previous owner of my Cali removed the cushions and never replaced them properly. The adhesive on the old Velcro tape had failed so I replaced that, but I am unable to get the cushions solidly back into place. I simply can't get the tabs in position to hook the front of the cushion in place. I don't want to force it and break the tabs since they already look cracked. Is there a trick to doing this? Or should I just take the car in and let the dealer do it?

11. lunyx

lunyx Rookie

Jul 5, 2022
    Looks like I have the same issue as Brumma. My clips on both sides seem to be broken. One side the glue failed so the entire seat comes up with no effort. The other side, I can lift up the front slightly, but seat seems firmly in place. I do see that there are locations where we could put velcro right next to the clip, and there's velcro on the seat base already. Is it just as simple as getting the velcro back on and potentially adding to the front for a secure fit, or are the clips actually necessary?

12. lunyx

lunyx Rookie

Jul 5, 2022
  13. treue

treue Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Tom Treue
    Tifosi,

I finally got my 2016 California T. It is bianco avus (I think. Slightly off-white or a really light cream.) over black. It is an ex-Florida car where it got its engine hydrolocked. It was in excellent shape except for the engine. I bought it sight unseen and had it shipped directly to Norwood Auto Italia in Dallas. They found a good engine with less than 5000 miles on it and swapped it with the broken original engine. I got the bad piston and rod from the old engine. They did a more-than-full service, including new tires, on the car. I cannot say enough good things about James, Mike and the crew at Norwood: pleasant, courteous, professional, informative. Very highly recommended.

I got the car home in August and have been getting it sorted. I replaced the broken light in the passenger footwell. I made a table of contents for the workshop manual. I realigned the hood to sit more flush. I made a carved foam holder for an Amerex Halotron fire extinguisher to sit in the left rear seat. I re-laced the rear seat cushions (see below). Future projects are re-aligning the trunk lid, sending some of the cabin controls off to be de-stickied, and touching up some minor scratches on two of the wheels.

Both rear seats had bits of small diameter rope showing out of the front end of the cushion. At first, I wondered if the ropes were some sort of back-up openers like the emergency hood, trunk lid and the fuel flap openers. Then I saw this thread and realized they were the disconnected ends of the cushion upholstery lacing. I pulled both cushions out (hard work as noted above) and both had failed lacing. The OEM crimped brass grommets (see isuk’s pix, above) really do not work and are destined to fail. I had the same type of small diameter nylon rope on hand. I epoxied the new rope to the old and pulled the new rope into place. I connected the free ends of the rope with epoxied loops rather than trying to find replacement hooks (see isuk’s pix, above). I have no idea why a previous owner was into this part of the car, although it may have been to access fuel tank components. I had to re-stick one front Velcro strip and both rear Velcro strips using contact cement. I am leery about ever having to pull those cushions out again.

The first picture is a cushion with the failed lacing. The next one is of the new rope epoxied to the old rope. The third picture is of the installed new rope ends terminated to each other. The last photo is of my fire extinguisher mount in the left rear seat.

Tom Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Willl likes this.