Fabspeed Ferrari California build - Pictures & Video | FerrariChat

Fabspeed Ferrari California build - Pictures & Video

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Fabspeed Motorsport, Sep 30, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    #1 Fabspeed Motorsport, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    We have had a few California's come through Fabspeed Motorsport recently and I thought it would be nice to do a little write up on them for you all to check out. This one was sent to us by an awesome local customer!

A few years ago we developed a replacement for the restrictive factory cats and an X-Pipe that bypasses the factory center resonator. The Fabspeed system retains your stock rear mufflers so the valves remain completely functional. The car sounded incredible when done and the power increase was noticeable; this really is a must have for California owners.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuyrNrmRZi4]FABSPEED MOTORSPORT | Ferrari California Sportcats & X Pipe - YouTube[/ame]
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Wow I must say, your exhaust upgrade looks and sounds great. I think you've struck the perfect balance for an aggressive sound.

I'm still having a blast driving my Cali30 in original spec but I'll definitely keep Fabspeed in mind when I look into upgrades for my car.

3. Peter P

Peter P Karting

Dec 22, 2011
    Boston area
    Agreed -- looks and sounds great. Has any testing been done to estimate whether there is a measurable impact on performance? What is the HP improvement versus stock on the old California or versus the new California 30 exhaust system? Estimate of cost for the whole system as shown? Thanks

4. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    #4 Fabspeed Motorsport, Oct 1, 2013
    Hi Peter, we did dyno a California previously. If i recall correctly it was an earlier car. We haven't tested a new one yet unfortunately.

5. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    They are awesome cars! Let us know if there is anything we can do for you.

6. Robert P

Robert P Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2014
    London
    Hi David

I am a UK California owner and am looking at replacing the x pipe to improve sound, without upgrading the Cats.

I like the idea of retaining the existing mufflers and valve system, but just improving the sound.

What do you think?

Robert P

7. Joe@Fabspeed

Joe@Fabspeed Karting
    Sponsor

Jul 1, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe Fabiani
    Hi Robert
    All California's worldwide actually have rear free flow factory mufflers with exhaust valves. Our analysis on the dyno and street sound testing has shown that real sports car sound and significant power is enhanced primarily with 200 cell sports racing analytic converters and with a central muffler replacement X pipe.

These simple free flow Bolton parts have worked great on all front engine cars like the Ferrari 456, 550 maranello and current front engine cars like the california . We are going to be working soon on Ferrari FF and F12.

Let David get you and X pipe or set of sports racing catalytic converters for your California. Fabspeed Motorsport parts are direct replacement bolt on parts for the rest rive factory Ferrari California parts. We a
    So have manufactured catbypass pipes for California's.

8. Robert P

Robert P Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2014
    London
    Thanks for the reply.

Will a replacement X pipe on its own improve the sound, without replacing the catalytic converters?

9. Evan.Fiorentino

Evan.Fiorentino F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    South East Florida
    Full Name:
    Evan
    #9 Evan.Fiorentino, Feb 24, 2014
    Hi Robert,

You can still get a nice increase in sound while still maintaining the function of your valves by doing just the resonator bypass X-pipe. You will get a nice sporty sound with the valves open
    and still retain the drive ability with the valves closed.

Here is a photo of the resonator you'd be replacing.

10. Robert P

Robert P Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2014
    London
    Thanks.

Will there be any increase in sound with the valves closed?

If not, do you think it is worth fitting a remote valve control device as well?

11. Evan.Fiorentino

Aug 23, 2005
    South East Florida
    Full Name:
    Evan
    There will be a slight increase in sound with the valves closed as well. Fabspeed has a valves controller that is operated VIA a key fob that allows you to have full control over the valves.

12. Robert P

Robert P Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2014
    London
    Thanks Evan. What would be the effect of fitting the valves controller to the existing exhaust, and not replacing the x pipe?

13. Evan.Fiorentino

Aug 23, 2005
    South East Florida
    Full Name:
    Evan
    The Valve controller allows you to have the valves open all the time ( regardless of RPM ) or closed all of the time (regardless of RPM )

14. Robert P

Robert P Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2014
    London
    I understand how it works, but I have been told that with the valves open at low revs the sound can be agricultural. Also I understand that if remote valves are fitted to the existing exhaust, a check engine warning light could be triggered. Does the fitting of a new x pipe with the remote remove either of these problems?

15. Evan.Fiorentino

Aug 23, 2005
    South East Florida
    Full Name:
    Evan
    I have not heard of CEL ever being illuminated just by installing a valve controller and I have a hard time imagining how it would be. You are simply just installing a solenoid to your existing OEM valves and controlling them at will.

Did you receive any explanation of why it could potentially trigger an engine light? The X-pipe will increase the volume of the car, but it will not have any effect on emissions or CEL.

16. Robert P

Robert P Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2014
    London
    I was told that at low rpm where the engine burns less cleanly and efficiently, if the valves are opened by the remote, the exhaust gasses are not slowed down, and depending on how efficient the engine is, and how worn the cats are, I run the risk of a check engine warning light.

If I just go for the valve controller and not the x pipe, do you think the sound will be fine?

17. Evan.Fiorentino

Aug 23, 2005
    South East Florida
    Full Name:
    Evan
    No

The engine technically is most efficient where it makes peak torque.

The new generation engines, with variable everything and DFI, have a very broad torque curve, so they are efficient across a large rpm range.

But controlling the exhaust valves will have no effect on the cats. What kills cats are extremely rich or extremely lean conditions for extended periods of time.

18. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Interesting discussion.

The Cali30 can quite easily be coaxed to perform engine overruns and give you explosions or pops at the tailpipe. You'll find soot all over the lower rear surface of the trunk lid and bumper. But I have never gotten a CEL. So that tells me a CEL will require more than a brief overrun. It probably requires multiple consecutive out-of-spec exhaust samples from the O2 sensors to trigger. That would be consistent with what Evan says about hazards to the cats from extremely rich exhaust happening "…for extended periods…".

Since these cars are designed to provoke overruns, the CELs would be programmed to tolerate brief occurrences or they'd become a nuisance.

IMO, you won't want to keep your valves open full-time as that will reduce back pressure and increase exhaust flow rate. This would be especially bad if your car is frequently driven for short runs (cold cats) at low engine speeds. Even if the CELs don't come on it does not change what is happening in your exhaust. It doesn't mean the cats are not being damaged. It just means the CEL can't signal the problem because they weren't programmed to trigger at those levels.

FWIW, I think a car with an interesting exhaust note is more endearing if it does not do that ALL THE TIME. It's more endearing if it lets you coax it to happen when you want to.