Beware this California | FerrariChat

Beware this California

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Roadking, Oct 3, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Roadking

Roadking Karting

Oct 9, 2005
    Ebay item # 321219213824 2013 California VIN ZFF65TJA7D0189998. The ad states water damage under seats only. This was my car. Salt water from Superstorm Sandy came up to the dash and over the engine. There was evidence of an electrical fire under the dash. FYI the MSRP was approx. $245K. I don't know what the car is worth but the difference in the damage stated and actual damage must have an impact on the true value. Bid wisely friends..

2. DesertDawg

DesertDawg Eight Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 25, 2010
    The Desert
    Full Name:
    DesertDawg
    Thumbs up for the heads-up!

3. cptndon

cptndon Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2005
    Annapolis
    Did you post this on the ebay ad?

4. mtarvydas

mtarvydas Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2011
    On the Mountain
    Full Name:
    Martin Tarvydas
    Wow 12 cylinders and 4 wheel drive must be legit :) Somebody FF'd up on that eBay placement.

5. speedsterr

speedsterr Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2013
    Are you the person whose california was on autoblog that was in that tunnel and abandoned the car? Then the car had water all the way up to the dash so ferrari gave them a huge discount or something on a new california?

6. mtarvydas

mtarvydas Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2011
    On the Mountain
    Full Name:
    Martin Tarvydas
    That was in Toronto, Canada not during Sandy

7. speedsterr

speedsterr Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2013
    It was? Hmmm didn't remember. I just heard this and it made me think of that.

8. Roadking

Roadking Karting

Oct 9, 2005
    No. My car was from NY. Superstorm Sandy casualty.

9. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    Good thing for a buyer is that all he will have to do is "ORDER THE KEY AND FEW RELAYS AND MAYBE SOME COMPUTERS TO START IT". Sounds easy....Laughable.

10. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Lost my xke same way and guy who bought it from copart called me to sell it back to me. Said it was in great shape! Yeah right

11. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Anyone who even considers buying that car after reading that rude, barely literate, scammish auction, deserves what they get. I've seen Nigerian e-mails that looked more trusting than this dealer.

12. deppi0

deppi0 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Edmondo
    I questioned the guy on ebay and his replies were seriously funny!
    - Are you sure about the damage? It's is a gross misrepresentation of the truth: "all I know is were I can see the water line"
    - Did you ever try to contact the original owner or ask for confirmation about the full damage?: "no"
    3 hours later the ad and auction was closed (not sold)

He might just be an idiot who saw it and tried to flip it for a few bucks without checking the full damage...

13. Roadking

Roadking Karting

Oct 9, 2005
    That could be the case. Copart had the car in NY then it had a Pennsylvania salvage title and now it's in Ca. Maybe something was lost in the translation. BTW, I did provide the keys when the car was removed from my home.

14. ferrarisun

ferrarisun Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2011
    Thanks for the heads up on the Ebay listing. Lots of good cars on Ebay, and unfortunely, LOTS of trash and garbage cars, hyped by the trash and garbage dealers, their standing operating way of doing business, lie.... and lie some more! Sad.

15. rmb221

rmb221 Karting

Feb 25, 2013
    thanks for the heads up.

16. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Just came across this thread, oddly after seeing the listing on eBay today.....

17. deppi0

deppi0 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Edmondo
    This guy has balls.... Let's see how long he leaves it on this time.

18. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
  19. deppi0

deppi0 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Edmondo
    I sent him a message on eBay asking again about the real state of the car....and his reply was basically fu*k off and leave me alone or I will send the Feds on you! I would love the Feds come see me in London to discuss this. ;)

20. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Totally agree, if the car could be salvaged at a low price , why would a auto place sell it for salvage. they would restore it and pocket the 50 k or so. The Car from the pics looks lightly optioned, probably MSRP is about 230K, Car if perfect would sell for 200-225, so if the car needs 100k plus to have it certified, Further with a CarFax which will state the car was drowned, too risky to buy the car.There is no way it will sell for 125, It sounds like it is still underwater.

21. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Rookie

Jan 18, 2011
    I'd beware not only of the car but even more so of the dealer. In the dealer ad, clicking on "View in Google Maps" shows Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego. Entering in the dealer's address directly and then using Google Street View, there is no car dealership at the address they provide. It's a strip mall, and the only store that is even close to a car dealer is a pawn shop.

22. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    I asked the seller a couple of questions and got back a "read the description again" reply in slightly broken English. Not quite the approach I'd be looking for in purchasing a car for $125,000. lol.

23. umsneeze

umsneeze Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    It looks like the Auto.com link is now a different car, now in TN. VIN is different (unless I'm missing something).

24. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    I clicked it and it just shows "New and Used Ferrari California" with a list of Californias that are currently for sale [in my area, since it likely pulls location data and yields results based on what's closest to me]. A majority of the cars listed (for me) are from CNC - obviously they're not affiliated, but if I was CNC, I would send them a cease and desist.