ugly, but this is only my opinion
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 01-26-2014, 05:30 PM
Formula 3
Banned User

Full Name: Q
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMayor View Post
I think there will be some similarities to the new CA from this photo. The air bridge cut outs for example and a bit of the LaFerrari front.
Hopefully the 599 F1 60 inspired paintjob won't stay along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertstnbir View Post
The color combo certainly doesn't make it look any better. Looks like some sort of LEGO car IMO.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:32 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertstnbir View Post
+1
Old 01-26-2014, 11:26 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

A cartoon of a Ferrari. Disparate pieces flung together in a hodge podge. They will do better than this.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:21 AM
Rookie
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMaranello View Post
Interesting! Where did you come by that picture?

Check out the dedicated SP FXX thread here: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/288...-sp-ffx-2.html
It's on a Japanese car magazine.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:36 AM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Tim
Quote:
I think there will be some similarities to the new CA from this photo. The air bridge cut outs for example and a bit of the LaFerrari front.
I don't!
Old 01-27-2014, 01:51 PM
Formula Junior
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: John
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
I don't!
Whew!
Old 01-27-2014, 07:16 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Hey all. This weekend, I was able to speak to a person closely associated with Ferrari, who was at a dealer conference in Maranello on November 11. He saw the new car. For starters, it WILL be called California. Now, here are the further details he disclosed to me. 3.8L 560hp Twin Turbo V8. It will have a more aggressive front, with larger side intakes in the grill. The headlights were described as a mix between the F12 and FF. They follow the edge of the body work (have a crease in them), and apparently look cool. The reverse hood scoop of the F12 will be seen on the hood, but smaller. There will not be any other vents on the hood (I've seen some drawings with them reflected on the left and right side of the hood...that will not be the case). There will not be an Air Bridge, but the F12 coves on the side of the body work will be shared. In front of the door (where the cove is the biggest and deepest) will be a vent (this will appear bigger and more prominent then the little side vents on the current Cali). As for the rear, they've managed to give it a flatter look. When you look at the current Cali's rear straight on at eye level, you see a slight rise in the middle. This will be flat and more reminiscent of the F12's. It will not share the F12's rear in regards to that center curved aero feature. The tail lights will remain more-or-less the same. Now, if you look at the F12 rear, the new California's exhaust will appear basically the same (side-by-side). Where the F12's rear center has that aero feature that curves down to the bottom of the car, the new California's will not. Instead, the lower body line (look at a photo of a red F12's rear and look at the lower black part where the exhaust is located)...that black section will continue straight across. Continue looking at the photo of the F12 rear. The new California's marker lights will be moved from the F12's position, outward to the edges of the rear. As for the interior, it will be entirely new. There is also an upgraded infotainment system that allows some sort of interesting interface with an ipod type device and the center console (honestly, that bit of info didn't interest me, and I tuned it out). I specifically asked if this was like a 360 to 430 type of change, or if the new California was a more dramatic change. The answer was that it was NOT like the 360 to 430 refresh, but, in fact, is a dramatic change. Finally, it was stated that the new California is going to be a big winner... zero reservations from the observer on this point. Hope you all find this as interesting as I did.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 01-27-2014, 07:40 PM
Karting
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Bruce E. Winter
Wow! Getting excited!
Old 01-27-2014, 08:29 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Nice info Sat4re!
Old 01-27-2014, 09:02 PM
Four Time F1 World Champ
Not Subscribed

Very cool info! Thanks!
Old 01-27-2014, 09:07 PM
Formula Junior
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: John
Every little bit of more detail gets more exciting!
Thanks for the info!
Old 01-27-2014, 09:15 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Thanks, guys! I can't tell you how exciting it was to hear those details rattled off! All completely off-the-cuff and matter-of-fact. I made a point of memorizing every detail so I could post it, here! I was looking at a current California and an F12 side-by-side as all of this was being disclosed. The description made me feel very excited about the new car and gave me the impression that the whole package will seem like it had a big testosterone injection. We'll see!
Old 01-27-2014, 09:39 PM
Four Time F1 World Champ
Not Subscribed

There's still a ton of questions. The biggest one I think is what the difference in the engine is between the new CA and the Maserati Qporte. And, if there are any changes or improvements to the DCT which has plagued both CA's and 458's more than we (or they) would have liked.

It's not just styling that's important for this car to be successful.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:43 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
There's still a ton of questions. The biggest one I think is what the difference in the engine is between the new CA and the Maserati Qporte. And, if there are any changes or improvements to the DCT which has plagued both CA's and 458's more than we (or they) would have liked.

Maybe they source their transmissions from Porsche and call it an FDK?
Old 01-27-2014, 10:51 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

So I am curious...with all of these body style changes, does the chassis essentially stay the same? If so, I would think weight would be the same save a few pounds less that you might see with the 3.8 TT. After watching the Ferrari factory tour on the Nat Geo channel, I have become more intrigued on how these pieces of art get assembled.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 01-27-2014, 10:59 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAT4RE View Post
There will not be an Air Bridge, but the F12 coves on the side of the body work will be shared. In front of the door (where the cove is the biggest and deepest) will be a vent (this will appear bigger and more prominent then the little side vents on the current Cali)...

I specifically asked if this was like a 360 to 430 type of change, or if the new California was a more dramatic change. The answer was that it was NOT like the 360 to 430 refresh, but, in fact, is a dramatic change.
Very good summary - thank you.

So seems if the car features F12-style coves, probably doors (or skins, at least) will be different, hence the comment about being more than a 360 -> 430 refresh.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:00 AM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Bob
I'm just curious about the pricing & if it will jump from their current scheme with fewer cars made each model year.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:58 AM
Four Time F1 World Champ
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebobh15 View Post
I'm just curious about the pricing & if it will jump from their current scheme with fewer cars made each model year.
Here is my guess. The price will go up but there will be more standard features. The reason I say this is because that's true of the F 12.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:24 AM
Formula 3
Banned User

Full Name: Q
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAT4RE View Post
Hey all. This weekend, I was able to speak to a person closely associated with Ferrari, who was at a dealer conference in Maranello on November 11. He saw the new car. For starters, it WILL be called California. Now, here are the further details he disclosed to me. 3.8L 560hp Twin Turbo V8. It will have a more aggressive front, with larger side intakes in the grill. The headlights were described as a mix between the F12 and FF. They follow the edge of the body work (have a crease in them), and apparently look cool. The reverse hood scoop of the F12 will be seen on the hood, but smaller. There will not be any other vents on the hood (I've seen some drawings with them reflected on the left and right side of the hood...that will not be the case). There will not be an Air Bridge, but the F12 coves on the side of the body work will be shared. In front of the door (where the cove is the biggest and deepest) will be a vent (this will appear bigger and more prominent then the little side vents on the current Cali). As for the rear, they've managed to give it a flatter look. When you look at the current Cali's rear straight on at eye level, you see a slight rise in the middle. This will be flat and more reminiscent of the F12's. It will not share the F12's rear in regards to that center curved aero feature. The tail lights will remain more-or-less the same. Now, if you look at the F12 rear, the new California's exhaust will appear basically the same (side-by-side). Where the F12's rear center has that aero feature that curves down to the bottom of the car, the new California's will not. Instead, the lower body line (look at a photo of a red F12's rear and look at the lower black part where the exhaust is located)...that black section will continue straight across. Continue looking at the photo of the F12 rear. The new California's marker lights will be moved from the F12's position, outward to the edges of the rear. As for the interior, it will be entirely new. There is also an upgraded infotainment system that allows some sort of interesting interface with an ipod type device and the center console (honestly, that bit of info didn't interest me, and I tuned it out). I specifically asked if this was like a 360 to 430 type of change, or if the new California was a more dramatic change. The answer was that it was NOT like the 360 to 430 refresh, but, in fact, is a dramatic change. Finally, it was stated that the new California is going to be a big winner... zero reservations from the observer on this point. Hope you all find this as interesting as I did.
Good, now we have at least 4 individual sources all saying the same. The infotainment is as I've said before a new very Apple friendly solution, since they now have an exec on the Ferrari Board.

Quote:

Hopefully the engine will get a flat plane crank, modified in the same spirit as the 4200GT engine that was used as a base for the F430.

Oddly, nobody has said anything about the DCT, (if we will see a completely new unit or a revised calibration of the 7DCL750). As I've said numerous times, the current DCT "achilles heel" issue is not with Getrag, it's with the calibration work Ferrari does. The same unit works well in the SLS, a torque heavy car.

Last edited by MisterMaranello; 01-28-2014 at 01:31 AM.