Next California? | FerrariChat

Next California?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by churchy, Oct 10, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. churchy

churchy Rookie

Mar 3, 2012
  2. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    No way is that a one off FF. I was told the new Cali had a good resemblance to what an F12 spider would look like so I think you are bang on.

3. scuderia92

scuderia92 Formula Junior

May 23, 2013
    I think you're right. Not sure if I like the front, it's probably too much similar to the FF and F12...

4. mtarvydas

mtarvydas Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2011
    On the Mountain
    Full Name:
    Martin Tarvydas
    My gut says it is the F12 spider that has been rumored. I would be surprised that the next Cali does not have a 2+2 configuration.

5. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    In which case why the changed bonnet louvred and all other panels. A convertible F12 should look like a convertible F12. I do know someone is having one built as a one off and this is another possibility in order to make it different from a true production F12 Spider.

6. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Well, this does looks like a morphed California but this also does not seem to have a retractable roof. It looks like a hatch, not a retractable rear window panel.

OTOH, I also think the California replacement will take stylistic hints from the F12.

7. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I thought a 2 seater FF was an F12!

8. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    If Ferrari makes a convertible hard top that looks like an F12 they will sell a ton of them IMVHO.
    A convertible does not need 731 hp to be fun to drive.

the front of the current Cali has many styling cues from the 599 so it is possible.

9. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I'm not sure I'd even want 700+ hp. When deciding which Lingenfelter package I wanted on my '12 grand sport, I did a lot of unscientific asking around about how much power it takes to really overwhelm nanny modes and put you in a critical situation. I stopped at 600, It was enough, PLENTY, and without a dct.

10. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Putting too much power in the car will just end up making it thirsty. No one can really use the top end except if they are trying to attain bragging rights numbers which are in a way, very counterproductive for potential owners.

Just make the car lighter instead and the car would serve both the car owners and Ferrari.

11. Peter P

Peter P Karting

Dec 22, 2011
    Boston area
    Does anyone have any thoughts or insight as to whether Ferrari will ever consider offering a standard transmission in any future cars? I understand that Ferrari has stated that a standard is "inferior technology" that detracts from performance, but one could argue that a convertible also detracts from the potential capabilities of a car as well. But what attracts us to a car is the overall driving experience, in a package that works for that particular buyer. I bought my California, in large part, because it was a beautiful, open air 2+2 seater. But for me, and I'd guess many others, part of the driving experience is running through the gears of a manual transmission, with the brief pause of a perfectly executed shift. From a performance standpoint, nothing can beat my California 30's shift speed. But had Ferrari offered a standard, I would have paid up for that option. Are there enough of us out there to entice Ferrari to offer that option? I would imagine that many California (or its successor) buyers would consider buying a modern 3 pedal car, particularly with a gated shifter. Are the numbers there to entice Ferrari to reconsider?

12. deppi0

deppi0 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Edmondo
    Peter, Ferrari has made the decision a few years ago to stop offering a manual transmission on their cars. They state that it is because they are "inferior technology" but in reality IMO it has only to do with sales figures.
    You mention that lots of California buyers would love to have a manual? Only 10 California were sold worldwide with a manual transmission..... I think that says it all!
    People keep saying that they would love a manual transmission but when they have to fork out the cash and order a new Ferrari they all (most) order a DCT :)

13. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Stylistic convergence. These cars are all starting to look the same.

14. Peter P

Peter P Karting

Dec 22, 2011
    Boston area
    That's amazing that they only sold 10 California's with a manual -- I wonder if part of that was due to the early infatuation with the superior technology of the DCT over the single clutch transmissions that had been available? It may just be my perspective, but many of the 360 and 430 ads trumpet a standard over automatic and certainly there's a big uproar over Porsche's new GT3, that'll supposedly only be available with a DCT. I really love my California, and maybe it's just nostalgia but the one thing I miss is the driver involvement of manually shifting, hearing the RPM pause and then blasting away. Of course flipping through each gear in milliseconds on the way to highway speeds in a matter of seconds isn't too shabby either...!

15. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    may be a warranty issue as well. DCTs are far more reliable and are supposed to last for the life of the car.

16. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    Have heard the same thing from friends at the factory.

17. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
  18. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Isn't that the same as post 11 from last month ?

19. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    #21 ebobh15, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I saw this mule shot from March 2013. At the time, they were speculating it might have been a F12 Spider under development, but if you match the patent drawings with the outlines and brake light configuration of the mule, they match pretty well. This car is still pretty covered in critical areas, and you can't get a sense of size, but it could be the 2015 California. No doubt it will be interesting to see what comes out from underneath the covers next March.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Looking at the body line by the rear 3/4 window, it appears that the new Cali will have a steeper and taller body line at the rear when the top is retracted than the current Cali.

I say this after looking at the profile or side view drawing (#5) in the very first post and this test mule pic.

21. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    Also, the bulge on the sides to accommodate the retractable roof are not as prominent & the tail lights are in one assembly, thus eliminating the current issue of brake lights being too low and not illuminated enough. If this mule is a hint of what the 2015 will be, I think even those folks who hate the California will quietly line up to buy one.

22. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    I think that the most important question is what engine will run this car.

23. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    They were muling a turbo (video on that), much to the chagrin of almost everyone here (I think). If they pushed a hybrid platform into it (a tuned down version of the LaFerrari's) it would be a significant change from the traditional powerplant; just thinking about USA EPA regs for that option.