Need advice, first time ferrari buyer, thoughts on 2011-12 vs. 2013 | FerrariChat

Need advice, first time ferrari buyer, thoughts on 2011-12 vs. 2013

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by osu s2k, Feb 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. osu s2k

osu s2k Rookie

Aug 4, 2006
    ohio
    Full Name:
    Bo
    Brief intro, 42 married and looking for first time ferrari, if it was up to me i'd be looking at 458.....then 599.....wife want convertible.....so i've settled on california. I'm coming from a lot of audis , porsches and mercedes.

Is the added hp and weight reduction of the 2013 worth it over the first generation. I am looking at reds, silver/gray and whites. I didnt think i could get away w red but after seeing in person, i'm impressed. It will not be a daily driVer. Gray is not popping for me but i've only seen in photos. White, not sure, i've never had a white car and are the lines less noticeable.

I'm a sucker for a good deal so i've found a couple of 2013 that were pretty heavily optioned, i need thoughts on these two. Basically, i like the idea of a 290 sticker and trying to get 70+ off.

A white in florida

Used 2013 Ferrari California For Sale | Longwood FL

A red in columbus

A 280 sticker, with 1000 miles, asking 234....just saw tonight still not listed

Or several of the 2012s running in the 175-185 range

I'm not sure of my longterm plans w the car, i tend to hang on to cars i really like or get bored and flip them quick.

Bo

2. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    #2 Need4Spd, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The updated car (often called the "30" for the added 30 bhp and 30 kg weight reduction) is worth getting over the prior car. In addition to the two "30"s advantages, Ferrari also tweaked the suspension calibrations, so that even the non-sport package car handles better than the prior car in sport mode. Also, the 30 gets a 7 year maintenance plan. Even if you flip the car, it will help with resale value. There are a number of threads on which options to look for, but generally, get as many of them as you can, since they're virtually free on used cars (options cost a fortune to add to new cars, but mostly don't return the value in the cars as used). Since it's a GT and often used to fulfill many roles, you will want things like cruise control, garage door opener, full power electric seats w/memory, etc. Good hunting. I agree they are better values as slightly used, since they seem to take a fair depreciation hit the first year, esp. now that the next generation car is about to be unveiled.

Are you sure you'd rather have red than grey?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  4. 430maybe

430maybe Karting

Oct 12, 2012
    Northern England
    Full Name:
    Full Name
    IMHO the carbon wheel with LEDs is a must have option in addition to the options mentioned above. Handling speciale is excellent but takes a little getting used to. Cali 30 every time esp with the 7 year service and of course the warranty. Please make sure it's got a warranty.
    It's an amazing beautiful and practical car. Happy hunting.
    BTW black is the only colour ;)

5. ConnyF

ConnyF Karting

Jun 27, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Conny
    To be honest!
    I would wait a couple of weeks until the new one is unveiled.
    This makes sence, cause you want to buy a car with a price at the top end.
    If you were looking for a car with price at the low end, my advice was: Just go for it!

6. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I sold my 2011 to order and purchase a 2013 . I feel the 2013 with the 30/30 and particularly with the HS package is by far the way to go. I suspect once the new one comes out I will be ordering a new one.. They really are great cars , it is a car you can drive every day and have a very comfortable and fast car which you will love..

7. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I was in the same boat. Went to the dealership to drive and make a deal on an FF (which I love), but my wife really really wanted a convertible. I don't regret it. I have a 2013 which is an awesome car. I believe the unveiling of the new model is tomorrow. You might have to wait a while to get one, but if you are only going to do this once, I would say wait for the new one. If you want to drive one a while to see if you like it, go for the Cali 30.

8. osu s2k

osu s2k Rookie

Aug 4, 2006
    ohio
    Full Name:
    Bo
    Waiting on yhe unveiling now!

9. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I think I would get in line for the new one. Marked improvement.

10. osu_s2k

osu_s2k Karting

Jun 22, 2013
    Midwest
    it will be interesting to see how gen 1 car values do.....

11. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    THey will go down but I do not think they will take a big hit. as they already have taken a big hit . THe big question is how much do you want to spend I would think you could get a 2013 that is load with maybe 4 to 5000 miles for maybe 50 to 70 or more off the orig list price maybe more and you can get it now .. or you can order a new one for which you will pay list price and pay considerable more..
    I have a 2013 which is my 2nd I am not rushing to get a new one but I will probably get one when I am ready ..
    I am certain you will love the NEW car but you would probably love the old one also...
    best of luck

12. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard

Having had 2 Maseratis, i can tell you if you are afraid of depreciation buy paintings. These are cars and they depreciate. Including the Bugati, perhaps the older Ferraris which were made in small numbers have appreciated, as a F40 or 330 etc. but those of us who are purchasing modern cars, will drive off the lot and loose 20%. I remember last year seeing 458 spiders going for 400K, now they are way below this. I think if i was not looking to buy a new Cali, i would reccomend the Cali30, because of the power and warrantee.Also the Cali30 will probably be handling much like the T

13. california30

california30 Rookie

Sep 10, 2013
    California 30 all the way or push the budget and go for the new model, California is an awesome car that really needs to be driven for a few days to understand and appreciate it, the improvements on the 30 really do make the difference if you can stretch to the budget and the HS package IMHO is a must.

14. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Any one of them will give you the full Ferrari Experience! I had a very early 2010 and traded up to an early 2012 that does have the 7 year maintenance plan. Even though it is not a '30' it is different than the 2010. I think it is ALL about budget and where you stand on a waiting list for a new car. Buying a used Cali from your closest dealer will help get you higher on the list for a new car so that alone is worth its weight in gold. It does zero good to want a new Ferrari no matter how much money you have when you have to face a waiting list!

The 7 year maintenance plan saves you $700 per year in oil changes, that is all ... unless you drive the crap out of it like I do then you will eventually save big bucks!

The Ferrari Experience is amazing, again if you drive your car regularly ... and regularly is NOT once every two months like the majority. If you have a big ego like I have then you should buy what YOU like and do it now. Life is way too short to miss this opportunity just to wait for the next best car. The photos of the new Cali came out already. A year after that one actually hits the streets this forum will be all about what the NEXT one will be! Again do not wait!

And post photos of whatever you buy!

Rick

15. osu_s2k

osu_s2k Karting

Jun 22, 2013
    Midwest
    Rick, thanks, i was at mag looking at a 2013 corsa red, 1000 miles, original sticker 280+, I was hoping to get at least 50 off. I found a white same sticker price near same mileage down to 215( 65 off for a year of driving and 1000 miles) . It looks as though i will be going for the cali 30 then upgrading later.

16. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Good Luck, please post photos :)

17. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I would not think this would be a problem . my 2013 orig sticker was over $280 and I knew i could not get the money back out of it .. I think you will be very happy with a loaded 2013.. THey are a nice improvement over the earlier ones ....
    Best of luck

18. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Great choice! Be sure to post photos, we all enjoy them. And take a camera with you when you pick the car up, hand the camera to Mike ... put a WIDE angle lens on it so it can capture your big smile as you climb into it!

Look at leasing something like a CL550 for two years, they will want $60K for that, money thrown away just to drive a CL550 for two years. Given that, when it comes time to trade up don't get wrapped around the axel just because of a price drop. And you can expect dealers to keep the price somewhat up when reselling it, they have to make money too. I rationalize that with every trade up.

Now I have to think about whether I want to move from the 2012 body style to the new body style and power!

The good news is my FF is coming back home today after replacing the thermostat. So I will wash the Cali tonight and put it back away for a while.

Rick

19. BruceWinter

BruceWinter Karting

Dec 22, 2013
    Delray Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Bruce E. Winter
    A white in florida

Bought it