Need Urgent help | 14 Cali 30 HS or 15 Cali? | FerrariChat

Need Urgent help | 14 Cali 30 HS or 15 Cali?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by CoopLik, Feb 15, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CoopLik

CoopLik Karting

Jan 10, 2014
    Hello To all,

I have a 2014 cali30 HS coming in on march 8th. It was a custom order. I just found out about the '15 redesign.

Need your help...

This is my first Frrrari so bare with me please...

I paid Sticker for the '14.

What would you do in my shoes.... Seems like the '14 is old technology and the '15 is the future and will stay the same for at least the next 7 years.

My sales guy is stating that I should just take the '14 and he will order a '15 for me and then I can trade in the 14.

Won't I be taking a huge hit in resale value since the 14 is essential the old body style at this point and the 15 is all new.

And Now after swing the 15, especially the front end it just looks IMHO so much in line with the rest of the brand (reminds me of a 599 or an F12)

I waited 3 month for the 14 and am excited to get it but can't stand the thought that by July/August the 15s are going to be on the road.

I feel bad if I have to cancel the order as I don't want the dealership to get stuck with the car but as they say nice guys finish last and I really should be looking after my best interest.

If its really eating at me, should I simply cancel the 14 last minute nd ask to order a '15 ? Should I ask for the dealer to take $10-$15k off the '14 so that I don't take a hit if I did end up ordering a 15 and trading the 14 in ?

All suggestions and/or comments are welcome...please let me know the best way to handle?

Thank You so much !

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    I'm sure I read that US California T aren't due til calendar year 2015 ie one year minimum assuming you are high up your dealer preference list

3. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    Depends on what you want, and which car you may want to own. We also don't yet know the price bump, so there will most likely be cost considerations. Faced with the same dilemma, if cost weren't an overriding factor, I'd probably take the 2014 while waiting for the 2015. Ideally, you'd be able to drive the 2014 for 4-5 months before doing the spec on the 2015 so you know first-hand the options, colors and appointments you would want for the long run.

Nothing's real unless it is on paper, so if you want to wind up with the 2015, I'd arrange the purchase-trade formally so you don't have to worry about the costs and details while you're enjoying the 2014 if that's the way you choose to go. I'd guess this choice creates considerable anxiety, but it is nice for this type of "problem" to be one you have...

4. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I really like my Cali 30. Just purchased last Fall knowing that it is about time for a new model. I will get the Cali T, and it will be special order and I will be able to enjoy it the whole time I am waiting.

I did the same thing with my 911. Bought it just before the new one was released. I figured that I really liked it and could drive it a couple of years and hen trade for a new one. I don't regret that at all either. I still haven't traded it off for a new one.

It just depends on what you can afford and whether or not you can tolerate having the "outdated" model.

5. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Do the '14 as a lease deal instead of a buy, and enjoy it while you work out whether you really want the T (it's a turbo; maybe good, maybe not as preferable), and if you decide to go with it, you have a very nice Cali 30 to drive while you wait to climb the list, order and take delivery. Either way, it's going to be some time before you can get a T, so if I were you I'd not wait.

6. rblissjr

rblissjr Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2009
    Westlake Village, Ca
    Full Name:
    Robert Bliss
    Since this is your first Ferrari purchase, then I don't see you getting a T any time soon. Existing Cal owners will be in front of you. With that said, you buy the 14 and your now a customer. I would have them give you some kind of deal that you get an early T. This is a win, win.

Cheers,

Rb

7. BruceWinter

BruceWinter Karting

Dec 22, 2013
    Delray Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Bruce E. Winter
    I feel your pain. I have been on the fence for a 12, or 13, knowing that the latest and greatest now known as the "t" is coming.

Obviously, dollars and depreciation, need to be factored in the equation, v.s enjoyment and mortality. What would be your wait for the "T"? What will be the demand? Unknown questions. If it is 6 to12 months, I would wait. (Personal opinion)

8. Ristretto

Ristretto Karting

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I ordered my Cali 30 in January, knowing full well that the new one was just around the corner. I also knew it was going to be a turbo engine. I have absolutely no regrets. My decision was based on having what may be the last naturally aspirated engine in the model line. I am not ready for a Ferrari turbo, yet. It just doesn't sound right. Yeah, I know it is the future. BTW, mine is Status 40, should be here by the end of March or early April. And, I can't wait.

Yes the new one has more HP and torque, and is 0.2 seconds faster 0-60, but the Cali 30 is a GT, not a race car. Yes, the Cali T has taken some of its styling from the other models, but the Cali 30 is no dog. All around the Cali 30 has classy lines and looks, and I like the stacked exhausts.

I wonder how the turbo engine will sound compared to the grunt of the NA V-8. Also, keep in mind that any new model will have some kinks to workout, and this usually gets done in the first year or two. And, there is the question of turbo lag. I have owned several Porsche Turbos, and even the newer (2013) models have turbo lag. Not much, but noticeable.

So IMHO, take the Cali 30, put the top down, enjoy driving it for a year or two, then trade it in. In any case good luck with your decision.

9. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I know I would take the 14 enjoy the heck out of it and when you can get the T order it. I think you will love the 14 HS30 and who knows what could happen over the next year waiting on the new car.. I have a 13HS30 (my second california) and i will get a T but am in no real hurry to get probably will get it in the second year of production ..
    you will take a hit for sure ,I think the lease is worth looking at so you will know exactly what the hit is..
    ENJOY your FIRST FERRARI

10. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Talk to your dealer about what he'll give you trade-in wise, it could be a win-win as has been said as the v8 Ferraris tend to be in high enough demand that if you trade it in within a year of buying you get very good trade value for it.

11. mjc_123

mjc_123 Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2010
    NYC - Long Island
    there will always be something new around the corner. like others have said, it will be about a year until you will realistically get the T. in that time, you will have enjoyed your first California, which is stunning and you will not regret it but only love the T that much more if and when you decide to upgrade, which I personally would only do after the initial kinks and bugs work themselves out after 1-2 years. remember that the original Cali had several issues in the 2009 and 2010 models, which were later fixed. I would keep and enjoy the car you ordered, which will be rock solid and keep ears open about how the T fares in its infancy.

12. california30

california30 Rookie

Sep 10, 2013
    #12 california30, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
    You really will struggle to get a first place order on the Cali T and as stated previously I think you guys in the US are looking at 2015 for the T, so your probably looking at least middle of the year before you could get your hands on one. New Ferraris like all cars, unless limited models depreciate, yes if you got a very early Cali T it will hold its own for a bit longer but ultimatley unless your looking to cash in on an early model by flipping it and selling for over list immediately, it will still depreciate at the same levels as soon as they become more readily available. Im not 100% on production numbers (someone on here may be) but there certainly won't be as many Cali 30's out there as there is the pre upgrade models as such Im assuming they should hold their own a bit better. Personally I would stick with the 30 it will put you higher up the list to get your hands on an early T and you could put down a deposit at your earliest convenience to secure an early model. Also remember pre 2012 cars don't get the 7 year service plan, this alone will assist with resale value.

The California 30 truly is an outstanding car that you will not be disappointed with.

Above all its a Ferrari old model new model????? Doesn't really matter you'll still have a prancing horse in your stable ;-) They are all awesome in my opinion but I'm a true hardcore enthusiast.

13. Ron4pro

Ron4pro Karting

Oct 21, 2013
    Arizona
    I am in the same boat...I have been waiting since October and expect delivery in March/April

Some things to consider:

1)Dont expect the dealer to knock off anything on a 14...there a lot of folks wanting into the Ferrari family that they will easily find another willing buyer. Plus, you will have one of the last N/A Cali cars produced.

2)The 15k in options that came with your 14 will probably be options on the 15. I think the HS option was a great move which will make your car more desirable in the secondary market. Building a Ferrari with your options is an exciting and privileged experience that I wouldnt want to pass up.

3) As others have stated, you probably wont get a 15 build slot in the first year being new to Ferrari. Those will go to existing customers first.

Best of luck in your decision...let us know what you decide. The folks on this forum can give some really good advice

14. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Ummmm, so you want the dealer to take depreciation hit for your mistake?

You cancel that order and as the saying goes, you've got two chances of that dealer ordering another car for you.

Follow through on your "custom order".

15. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    If you do not take the Cali you ordered, my understanding is that you will not be able to order another Fcar. You will have to buy a used model.

Best.

16. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Is this urgent?

17. mjc_123

mjc_123 Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2010
    NYC - Long Island
    from the way OP described, it sounds like he is being giving this choice from his dealer, although "dealer stating I should take the '14" might just be a nice way of saying "you better take it!" either way, dealer will sell the '14 but true, relationship may be compromised.

18. CoopLik

CoopLik Karting

Jan 10, 2014
    Thanks Guys for all the suggestions and comments.....I am not worried about ruining my relationship as I buy a new BMW from the same owner every 6 months like clockworks. I am just the type of person that I have to have the latest and the greatest... And as soon as something with an update or a change hits the road I must trade up ASAP or it will eat at me....therefore I am at a dilemma...I understand that F-cars are not like other brands and the process works a bit differently....

The sales guys says that if I cancel order and order the '15 I won't get it for at least 2 years...is this BS?

He says if I take the '14 at sticker then he can order a '15 ASAP and ill get it in about 1 years time and no sooner even though they will be available for delivery as early as July/Aug.

Do you guys feel that he is being honest with me or just playing the salesman card ?

Please further advice I highly respect your opinions and will make my final move based on your knowledgable input.

Thanks so much !

19. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    He is probably being straight.

20. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Sounds to me that the salesman is being honest. I would take the 14 and worry about the 15 later. You will take a hit on the 14 but you will get FAR more enjoyment out of it than any hit. Think of it as if you were leasing it and how much would you have given up for the lease?

Rick

21. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Look at what you wrote -

Now I am not being rude or mean-spirited because trust me I would say this to my best friend. You don't know enough about Ferraris and shouldn't being buying one right now. Come back in a year or two after hooking up with existing owners, going to events, joining a club like FCA, and reading A LOT more threads on this forum (you care so much about Ferraris and you've been here 3 weeks?)

Good grief man, get a grip! Sorry to put it so bluntly, but that's how I see it, and you asked.

22. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Personally I would cancel the '14, wait a few more months and buy a used '11/'12 so you'll take less of a depreciation freefall.

23. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    I just went by my Ferrari Dealership and looked at all the beautiful cars. The 11.s, 12s and 13s were there and they are georgeos , you should not worry about it!

24. BruceWinter

BruceWinter Karting

Dec 22, 2013
    Delray Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Bruce E. Winter
    If a purchase is made, would not a California 30 with the special handling package be more desirable, and a better choice for fun and performance?

25. california30

california30 Rookie

Sep 10, 2013
    #25 california30, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
    From what I understand July/August for first cars in UK and Europe but not over the pond, Had you been an existing owner then chances are certainly higher for one of the first cars, as such I would take the 30 and place your order on the T. I don't think the salesman is talking BS although we all no they can do a bit of that, bottom line is they know as much as we do about the new T, only difference they do have allocated numbers per dealer in Europe, not sure about US though, but once again these will be offered to existing clients first, its Ferrari style. Your not just buying a car when you buy into Ferrari the doors open the more of a valued client you become. Old Ferrari new Ferrari they are all beautiful and we are very priveledged to own such things. As I said before get the 30 you won't be disappointed, they ain't like mainstream cars i.e. BMW M3 you have the old one sitting at the lights and some guys pulls up alongside in the new model looking all pleased with himself in his newer model. If your in an old Ferrari and someone pulls up at the lights in a newer model they will nod their head in admiration at your car, if not they ain't a true enthusiast.

Hope this helps with your decision.

Ps If it really bothers you, chances are very slim of another Ferrari pulling up alongside anyway, unless of course you live in Monaco or Beverly Hills ;-) But trust me even there you'll get a nod in admiration in your 30 from the guy beside you in his La Ferrari.