California T and Carplay | FerrariChat

California T and Carplay

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Tomshop, Mar 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tomshop

Tomshop Karting

Aug 7, 2011
  2. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Correct, thus far only the FF has been announced to support CarPlay... hoping that will change very soon, however! The California T appears to be the easiest to do this (since it already has a touchscreen head unit).

3. deppi0

deppi0 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Edmondo
    The California T was officially announced to support CarPlay although the model on show didn't have the functionality

4. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Hmm that's news to me, but good news! :) Where/when did that happen deppi0? Is there some literature that states the California T and/or other models besides the FF will support?

5. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    It is a fact. The new Cali will have Carplay.

6. deppi0

deppi0 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Edmondo
    For now only the FF and California T will have it. Other cars might/will get it in the future when they are redesigned as the system doesn't work with the set-up of the F12 or 458

7. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    The California T will have CarPlay....

Stupid thing CarPlay was only available to demo on the press days at Geneva...

8. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    Maybe they rushed to get the code into stability suitable for controlled demos.

9. MisterMaranello

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    I think it had more to do with the fact that Apple wanted to have a staff on site the whole time to demonstrate the product "in a safe manner" to use that figure of speech. They obviously couldn't be bothered to have someone there on the public days...

Apple, as great a company as they are, do have some peculiar policies with regard to PR and product exposure. The fact that CarPlay was not available to demo for the GP was not a surprise at all to me.

10. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    The best surprise for a demo is no surprise. :)

11. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I used to be part of that industry at one time. Done those kinds of product roll-outs. It didn't surprise me.

I believe CarPlay was not actually deemed "golden" and ready to ship at the time of the Geneva Auto Show. However, Ferrari needed to show CarPlay as it was anticipated and a major component of their announcements. Since Eddie Cue is also on their board they made an effort to show it off regardless because it was a joint Ferrari/Apple announcement.

They probably used a test unit in the FF. The person demoing the unit would have steered the demos away from any feature that might not be "ready for prime time".

12. MisterMaranello

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    Totally agree. As you said, it's probably a pre production unit which is not yet fully certified for consumer implementation. So they don't want any clumsy fingered guy revealing any bugs or features that have not yet been fully debugged..