Roof fatigue | FerrariChat

Roof fatigue

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by mtarvydas, Mar 22, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mtarvydas

mtarvydas Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2011
    On the Mountain
    Full Name:
    Martin Tarvydas
    Just an FYI to have this checked out before the warranty expires. After several weeks of detailed inspection on my roof, the dealer found that the plastic type coating around the mechanics has cracked and created a fine silt that sits in the roof enclosure. Over time this caused my roof to fail and not open anymore ( like sand in a gutter.) If you thought the DCT is pricy the replacement for this is north of 50K if the entire mechanism needs to be replaced. Fortunately mine was still under warranty.

It also took many weeks to get the parts since ( as I was told ) the roof manufacturer did not have replacement parts outside of purchasing the entire system.

2. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    OMG, a $50k+ repair for plastic dust, what a ridiculous and catastrophic development! :eek:

Thanks for the heads-up Martin and I'm glad yours was still covered under warranty. My car is only 1 year old and in storage but I'll have to check out this "plastic coating" when I get a chance to.

I imagine this problem will require routine inspection to try and head off and AFAIK Ferrari uses the same mechanism in the California T. So it's in their interest to get Webasto, who makes the roof mechanism, to devise a better means to service the defective parts.

I just wonder at what point of materials failure can the dealer declare the mechanism to require service. I mean, do they have to wait for a roof failure before declaring the defect? IMO, it's defective materials so once the plastic material is showing signs of imminent cracking, they need to immediately service the mechanism.

BTW, do you have any photos showing the defective parts?

3. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Wow! I live in a high dust area... Yes please post pics so we can know what to check...

Glad yours was under warrantee... Gee whiz!

4. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    Yikes! Sounds like an extended warranty is advisable for the older cars if the top will be repeatedly retracted.

5. Vladan

Vladan Rookie

Jul 29, 2012
    Serbia
    Full Name:
    Vladan Lukic
    Shame on them. They must sell separatly parts. I'm looking at 09' car - No warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. ConnyF

ConnyF Karting

Jun 27, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Conny
    This is just scandalous!!!

What will happen with all the owners in 5, maby 10 years?

DCT 20k $
    Variators 10k $
    Roof 50k $

7. sg69

sg69 Karting

Aug 23, 2009
    VA
    This sounds crazy to me. Webasto makes the tops for the Mercedes SL and many other cars that have been around much longer than the California and in much bigger numbers. Why haven't we heard of this problem? BTW the power normal warranty at over $6k per year doesn't even cover the top.
    I've been considering it but not sure yet. Power cube is over $8000. My car is an 09 that I've had since new and been great so far. No major issues at all... All campaigns current and I religiously use battery conditioner when not driving car for longer than a couple of days. I wonder if this is an isolated problem or something that we might all have to deal with at some point...

8. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yes, the fact that Mercedes, a big customer for Webasto, has long used similar mechanisms is supposed to make the California's roof much less of a maintenance concern. VW, BMW, Volvo and other brands also use the Webasto roof mechanism.

It would be very useful for Martin to tell us more about this problem. For instance, where exactly is the plastic material located and where/why is it failing. Martin's car is a 2012 so the 09, 10 and 11 cars should have already experienced these problems by now if it is a design/materials defect but this is the first time I've heard of it.

9. mtarvydas

mtarvydas Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2011
    On the Mountain
    Full Name:
    Martin Tarvydas
    I will be at the dealership on Tuesday so I will get them to show me exactly where/how the fatigue happened. I will keep you posted.

10. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thanks Martin. You have our undivided attention. :D

11. mtarvydas

mtarvydas Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2011
    On the Mountain
    Full Name:
    Martin Tarvydas
    So he said to run your finger through every trouth and see if there is a fine silt. He also showed me the spacer they built to check all roofs to ensure no sagging and the dreaded pin hole marks on the roof.

12. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    Can you tell me. More about the pinholes on thr roof.
    Thanks

13. mtarvydas

mtarvydas Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2011
    On the Mountain
    Full Name:
    Martin Tarvydas
    There are earlier threads about this but basically the roof gets two little dings if it is too close to the window when down ( I think from a bump or something ) The spacer ensures that the roof only lowers to a certain depth.

14. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    Any pictures on where to focus? Thanks for flagging this issue.

15. mtarvydas

mtarvydas Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2011
    On the Mountain
    Full Name:
    Martin Tarvydas
    Ok will do. i am back there on Tuesday for some other upgrades :)

16. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yes, there is a sort of a "rubber bumper" that helps to prevent contact but there is also a set screw/nut on the roof mechanism which is calibrated during assembly to achieve optimum clearance between the rear window panel and the metal roof panel.

In the case of my car, the set screw was incorrectly calibrated and appears to have resulted in the rubber bumper getting damaged to the point where a latch on the rear window panel eventually made contact with the metal roof panel as the window panel stacked itself on top of the metal roof panel. Yeah, I used the roof a lot.

There are apparently a number of sensors that monitor the movement of the metal roof during an open/close procedure. If any of the sensors detects something wrong while the roof is operated, the sensor will stop the process. In Martin's case, it looks like the dust accumulation triggered a sensor which prevented the roof from opening altogether.

Martin, the spacer thing mentioned by your dealer sounds interesting. It'd be neat to see a photo of this thing, as well as where the plastic coating failed in your roof and where the dust landed.

17. dalundin

dalundin Rookie
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2007
    USA
    This is why I sold my last convertible hard top before the warranty ran out and one of the many reasons I only get coupes now.

18. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Really, don't be silly. What you're proposing is like marrying people you don't really care for because you can't stand the thought of one day losing someone you do care for. Honestly, what a waste of time! You would think no one would be driving hardtop convertibles. How boring!

Actually, the dent is a tiny nick on the roof if it should happen and the correcting adjustment only involves turning a screw, applying Locktite and fastening the nut. You can make a big deal about it but reality is that the paint job is trivial.

It's not like blowing your engine or the trannie. :eek:

19. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Its just one more thing to pay attention to. A Ferrari SHOULD be a drop top, feel the wind and life !

20. YAMVS6

YAMVS6 Karting

Jan 26, 2011
    ohio
    Right! most parts available for top too,repairs can be made for way under 50k!

21. tajaro

tajaro Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2009
    Gulfport Florida
    Full Name:
    Erik V
    That roof system looks really really close to my SL63 roof... I'd bet a great MB tech could work on it-

22. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I never heard of problems with the Cali roof. Must be rare!

23. ConnyF

ConnyF Karting

Jun 27, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Conny
    Please keep us updated! :)

24. mtarvydas

mtarvydas Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2011
    On the Mountain
    Full Name:
    Martin Tarvydas
    Sorry had to fly out of town. Mark was deemed #2 mechanic in all of Ferrari so he will give me the thorough details when I am back. He has always gone the extra mile with these cars ( no pun intended :)

25. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    DCT?